Jump to content
3D Coat Forums
PolyHertz

3DS Max Applink - Complete Rewrite

Recommended Posts

I'm having some difficulty with my install, trying to set up on a new computer (Max 2018, 3D Coat 4.8.32, Applink 2.1).  

Everything worked perfectly on my previous computer (same software, similar hardware).  Then I switched computers and have to reinstall it all.  Upon freshly installing Max 2018 I copied over my Max UI settings from the previous computer.  Then installed 3D Coat.  At this point I tried the Applink install as before, but I'm afraid it isn't installing.  Everything appears exactly as though it's not running the mcr.  I suspected the installer wasn't happy with something from my previous UI settings (perhaps a reference that looked like it's already installed) so I reset that to default and tried again (same result).  And beyond that, I'm not sure what else to look for.  

Thoughts?  Thanks!

-Spaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpazticusPrime said:

I'm having some difficulty with my install, trying to set up on a new computer (Max 2018, 3D Coat 4.8.32, Applink 2.1).  

Everything worked perfectly on my previous computer (same software, similar hardware).  Then I switched computers and have to reinstall it all.  Upon freshly installing Max 2018 I copied over my Max UI settings from the previous computer.  Then installed 3D Coat.  At this point I tried the Applink install as before, but I'm afraid it isn't installing.  Everything appears exactly as though it's not running the mcr.  I suspected the installer wasn't happy with something from my previous UI settings (perhaps a reference that looked like it's already installed) so I reset that to default and tried again (same result).  And beyond that, I'm not sure what else to look for.  

Thoughts?  Thanks!

-Spaz

Try to uninstall the old one and re-install the new one. I think I had a similar problem before, and IIRC, that is what fixed it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Try to uninstall the old one and re-install the new one. I think I had a similar problem before, and IIRC, that is what fixed it.

Thanks AbnRanger, I'm trying that now. 

Just for the record, I should be installing the 2.1 rewrite from the beginning of this thread (not 1.8c from 3D Coat's download page), right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SpazticusPrime said:

Thanks AbnRanger, I'm trying that now. 

Just for the record, I should be installing the 2.1 rewrite from the beginning of this thread (not 1.8c from 3D Coat's download page), right?

 

Yes. Whichever is most recent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max 2018

why, oh why did i try... 1.8 was working for me fine except the UV never came into 3DC so i UVed in 3DC

2.1 doesn't work at all. everything seems to work in Max but nothing ever comes into 3DC. and i've tried everything. it opens clean :(:(

also, 1.8 had a very easy setup, like other scripts. seems i must go back to 1.8

Edited by dniitall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was playing with the  the temp folders and now it works to send to 3DC without UVs (not always, tho). sending back doesn't work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on a new PC build, reinstalled max 2016 and coat 4.8.15D and applink v2.1, was able to export a mesh from max to 3d coat, and paint it, but the Export To menu item under File is missing.  I think I saw this before but cannot remember how I fixed it...maybe something in the applink settings in max.  Can someone offer a suggestion to try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jfharper Can you see File -> Open in original App. That's the right menu when you bring something into 3d-coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, haikalle said:

@jfharper Can you see File -> Open in original App. That's the right menu when you bring something into 3d-coat.

That worked...thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2016 at 2:32 AM, PolyHertz said:

 

PSA: DO NOT USE EXPORT CONSTRUCTOR IN 3D-COAT! IT MUST BE DISABLED ON EXPORT FOR THE APPLINKS MATERIAL PRESETS TO WORK!

It is possible to use the export constructor with multiple changes to the settings to get all names back to how they are by default, but it's not recommended.

 


 

Hi,
I am using 3d coat 4.8.37 for VFX with 3ds max 2018+vray3.6 and most of the time I have to transfer
multiple paint objects with multiple UV sets and textures at once between apps.
The textures have to have unique prefix in the names based of paint object name.
Currently I am exporting them from 3d coat with export constructor and I am building shader networks in 3ds max manually but it is a huge waste of time. 
There have to be a way to automate it.

I watched youtube tutorials for max applink 2.1 and tested it.
The included preset in Applink 2.1 for Vray don't work in my end and I tried to create a custom one without success.
Even if I don't use export constructor and I would like to export 20 paint object at once the applink and preset don't work how it should.
Tutorials also don't show the case where you would like to transfer let say 20 paint object with diffuse, IOR, glossiness,  specular color, and normal map at ones in 3ds max.
Since export constructor in 3d coat have to be disabled by recommendation how make it possible to export 20 paint objects with deferent uv sets at ones?
Would someone be so kind and explain it how to do it or maybe add feature to applink
to be able to use constructor with multiple paint objects and based of names of paint objects and corresponding export folder for them 
create and assign Vray 3.6 shaders in 3ds max 2018 with help of applink ?


I would be very greatful for help because I am have very short deadlines and a lot of objects to transfer from 3dcoat paint room to 3ds max+vray.

Could someone from applink developers could contact me and we could together figure it out?

I think that would benefit all 3ds max applink users.

Best regards

Mariusz 

PS. It is no easy to find app link v2.1 and documentation about it since https://3dcoat.com/download/applinks/ 3ds max  is pointing to version 1.8c.
Could someone fix it ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that @PolyHertz see this. Usually he is very fast to respond. I tried to take a look but I'm not able to see the code so I can't say what's going on there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×