3DCoat Forums

Best peripheral hardware to get started?

DesertRaven

• Reputable Contributor

Pen and Tablet.... The pen is pressure sensitive and much more fluid than using a mouse for sculpting or painting. A more natural way of working... Wacom tablets are generally what artist buy though there are other brands. I still use an older Wacom Introus 3--- 9inch x12inch, love it...

I recommend the Intuos line of tablets. I like the large size tablets though some prefer a smaller working area.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-pro-large

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I have a question to throw out about this, just in terms of, I do have a tablet, and on my current project I tried using it a bit, but it didn't actually feel all that good.  Is it a thing that you only use for finer points and detailing, or all the way through?  At best I know there are some lines I could probably get a lot steadier using a pen, but otherwise I personally prefer working with a mouse at this point.

• Reputable Contributor

I have a question to throw out about this, just in terms of, I do have a tablet, and on my current project I tried using it a bit, but it didn't actually feel all that good.  Is it a thing that you only use for finer points and detailing, or all the way through?  At best I know there are some lines I could probably get a lot steadier using a pen, but otherwise I personally prefer working with a mouse at this point.

when you are working in Photoshop, you want to be using your Wacom the whole time. Same thing applies to 3D Coat. I've never used my mouse with either. Trying to do so seems like using a hammer to drive a screw....just wrong.  :D

• Reputable Contributor

when you are working in Photoshop, you want to be using your Wacom the whole time. Same thing applies to 3D Coat. I've never used my mouse with either. Trying to do so seems like using a hammer to drive a screw....just wrong.  :D

Yes, indeed to the above...  I do not know the brand of your tablet, Sable but there is so much more fine control from the beginning to the end of sculpting with a good tablet and pen. 

Edited by digman

Ugee UG1910 full color monitor drawing tablet. For actual drawing I have no problem with it, it works perfect.  However, I'm not getting the feel for it yet with 3D Coat.  To be fair, I've never been great at getting pressure settings perfect for me, which might be some of my problem.  Also might just be my general set up, I have a good desk for working at the computer and using this tablet, but using it in quick tandem with my keyboard isn't all that practical as of yet, and that's something I really require, as a lot of my work and learning so far have been careful manipulation of things using shortcuts and what not.  Maybe with some rearranging, I can fix that, but just my experiences so far.