13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Looking good Tony! 

How is everyone doing on time management?  I know we are coming into the final weeks of the challenge and I noticed no one has moved onto texturing and lighting yet. I may extend the deadline if need be. It's really exciting to see the tin toys come to life.  Keep up the good work everyone!

I'll start working on my toy this week.

• Like 1

How is everyone doing with the Tin Toy Challenge?  

I am going to push the deadline back a few weeks to give everyone more time.  I know I have been busy with work and could use it.   Lets set a hard deadline of March 7th.  I know ajz3d got a late start as well and I have not seen any recent updates from anyone but Tony.  

Anyway here is my update.  I am currently working on the body of the vehicle and should have that complete tonight.  If anyone has an update please post what you have.  

Keep up the good work everyone and props to Tony for finishing so quickly...

post-39822-0-92569000-1456179032_thumb.j

• Like 4

• Contributor

I was thinking about possible approaches to tin toys in 3D-Coat, and I think I'll stick to the following:

- create a rough voxel/surface representation of a given shape

- retopo in the retopo room using subdivision surfaces

- merge the shape back (with several levels of subdivision) to sculpt room, with slight thickness applied to the model

- rinse and repeat

- batter and deform all surfaces where necessary. :)

I'm not sure if the workflow that I have picked for modelling parts of my tin spaceship was a good choice. The problem with subdiv modelling in the retopo room is that there are so few tools available for a good streamlined modelling workflow, that everything takes ten times longer than it normally would in a dedicated modelling package. The lack of subdiv preview does not help either. Anyway, I'm stubbornly pushing forward and I'm currently finishing up one of the two most difficult pieces. When I'm through with the upper and lower halves of the main fuselage, remaining parts will be a cakewalk and the progress will begin to gain momentum. :)

post-12523-0-30357300-1456604864_thumb.j

I just noticed that the deadline was extended to 13th of March! Awesome! That's very generous! :)

• Like 3

• Contributor

Only a small update today as I didn't have much time to spend on the model since my last initial WIP. I encountered a bug in the retopo room that was deleting faces from my groups once I hid, and after some time, revealed them, so I spent a lot of time patching up affected areas up to a point where I simply started to export groups that I considered as "done" to .objs, just to be on the safe side.

I think most of the hard, unpleasant work is behind me and I can start drilling some holes in the tin. Now this will be fun! :moil:

This is a two-part main fuselage from retopo room, imported to sculpt room with some outer thickness and subdivided a couple of times. I'm not too happy with it, but modelling with subdivs in retopo room isn't the easiest of tasks if you ask me, and I'm not used to it. :crazy:

post-12523-0-11247900-1456955989_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Contributor

I drilled all holes that the upper fuselage needed. That's it for today.

The tin could be thinner, but I was afraid that converting an even thinner object to voxels (I needed it for painless boolean ops) would require much more geometric resolution. Currently it requires around 20-27 millions voxel res  to do a, more-or-less, lossless conversion.

post-12523-0-16251700-1456960597_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Some more elements. Geometry of lamps will be a little bit tricky. I want them to render correctly later on. For now, they're just simple FFD capsules.

post-12523-0-73544000-1457129965_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Contributor

One the picture - one of the most troublesome parts of the model, and not because they're difficult to deal with but because of how much time it takes in 3D-Coat to do traditional modelling when compared to a dedicated software.

This is one of the many parts that need to be merged with the sculpt after hole drilling. I model those parts it in the Retopo Room then reimport those things into Sculpt Room with some subdivision applied. Oh, how I wish that CC subdivision could be previewed in the Retopo Room...

post-12523-0-98323300-1457653457_thumb.j

I do booleans on voxel layers. I love voxels, but, a more-or-less lossless (well, in fact it's never lossless :)), conversion of thin surface layers to voxels require a helluva lot of triangles. And vast amounts of geometry quickly decrease 3D-Coat's overall UI performance by a lot. Moving the cursor becomes very difficult. I probably need to upgrade to a better video card real soon. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Inner side of battery compartment doors. It may seem that it won't be visible on the final renders, but who knows? I'd like to be able to open those doors. :)

On the right there's a geo from the post above. It's going to be imported and transformed two more times and merged with the back door in appropriate places.

post-12523-0-81586900-1457654957_thumb.j

• Like 3

• Contributor

One the picture - one of the most troublesome parts of the model, and not because they're difficult to deal with but because of how much time it takes in 3D-Coat to do traditional modelling when compared to a dedicated software.

This is one of the many parts that need to be merged with the sculpt after hole drilling. I model those parts it in the Retopo Room then reimport those things into Sculpt Room with some subdivision applied. Oh, how I wish that CC subdivision could be previewed in the Retopo Room...

attachicon.gifapollo_starship_tin_toy_wip08.jpg

I do booleans on voxel layers. I love voxels, but, a more-or-less lossless (well, in fact it's never lossless :)), conversion of thin surface layers to voxels require a helluva lot of triangles. And vast amounts of geometry quickly decrease 3D-Coat's overall UI performance by a lot. Moving the cursor becomes very difficult. I probably need to upgrade to a better video card real soon. :)

I dont think gpu horse power has anything to do with this. Its more of the ram it carries.

For cuda , gtx 470 , gtx 970 and gtx 980 performs exactly the same or i havent noticed any difference at all.

On all other software i use and they are gpu accelerated performance boost is huge.

Only on 4.5.30 i noticed a HUGE performance boost and i believe it has to do with the new shaders or something Andrew changed.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 2