13th Challenge: Tin Toys

Blaster

13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

sure Ajz3d I dont have a problem with extending the deadline. It is more important that people finish and are happy with the final results than rushing to get the challenge done.  I'm working on the Retopo now so I should be done with that today and will post updates.  Keep up the good work.

• Contributor

np

extended :D

sure Ajz3d I dont have a problem with extending the deadline. It is more important that people finish and are happy with the final results than rushing to get the challenge done. I'm working on the Retopo now so I should be done with that today and will post updates. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys!

I'm looking forward to see the retopo, Blaster. :good2: 

I dont think gpu horse power has anything to do with this. Its more of the ram it carries.

For cuda , gtx 470 , gtx 970 and gtx 980 performs exactly the same or i havent noticed any difference at all.

On all other software i use and they are gpu accelerated performance boost is huge.

Only on 4.5.30 i noticed a HUGE performance boost and i believe it has to do with the new shaders or something Andrew changed.

My card has 3GB of VRAM (It's a GTX 660 Ti). I'm currently working on objects that are about 10-17M triangles each (one to two objects displayed at a time) and responsiveness of a cursor and menus is quite sluggish. Up to a point where I temporarily replace various objects with their decimated duplicates. I suspect it has something to do with thin surfaces or the number of objects I have in the scene, because if I start a new scene with the default voxel bust upres'd to 52M, then the UI is much more responsive than in my Apollo scene (apart of viewport performance, which is slightly slower by three or four frames per second).

I remember that Andrew once said that the large amount of objects can slow down the viewport, but I thought it only applies when they're visible.

Edited by ajz3d

I did not get that far along with Retopo today and I still have a bit of modeling to do but here is where I left off. I will be working on getting the remaining retopo done tomorrow night and then moving on to the paint room. 

I am not experiencing that much slow down unless all my layers are on.  When I keep them off everything seems fine to me. 

post-39822-0-93180200-1457933720_thumb.p

post-39822-0-22642800-1457934308_thumb.p

Edited by Blaster
  • Like 4

• Contributor

Darn, I wish I was done with the modelling already. I'm so eager to start working on the textures... :)

I'm currently doing wheels and cockpit, but there's nothing much to show yet.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

I know... at least when you get to the texturing you can start to see the finish line. lol.  How much longer do you think you have AJz3d?    

Hey Blaster! Let me think. I'm almost done with the cockpit and the undercarriage. Then I'll have to create geometry for several lamps that this toy has. I already have their outer shapes, but no inner geo and no lightbulbs yet (though I think I have some bulbs stashed in my geo library). I want those lamps to look realistic after I put some lights in them. Hell, I'm still hesitating between rendering the model in Marmoset or Mantra, so I can still choose the easier emissive route where I wouldn't have to create the insides of those lamps and waste a lot of time on lookdev. But I'm really tempted to paint some 8k UDIM tiles and put 3D-Coat into some stress because I haven't done it for some time now. :)

Anyway, I already have some retopo geo which I used as base shapes for the sculpts, so unless I go the Mantra road, this step will take a day or two. That's because I can only spend up to three hours per day on this project - in a VERY optimistic case :(.

Then - texturing and, if I decide to go the Marmoset route, it probably will be the end of the road. :D I should be through with the asset by 23-24th, which should leave me with two or three days left to the new deadline, in case I need them for something.

• Like 1

I have to commend you on all the details your adding. I can't wait to see some more updates! I was thinking of trying to get my tin toy in sketchfab to show off the pbr materials. Has anyone done this before? Im not sure what model viewer would work best for 3dcoat.

• Like 1

Hey Blaster! Let me think. I'm almost done with the cockpit and the undercarriage. Then I'll have to create geometry for several lamps that this toy has. I already have their outer shapes, but no inner geo and no lightbulbs yet (though I think I have some bulbs stashed in my geo library). I want those lamps to look realistic after I put some lights in them. Hell, I'm still hesitating between rendering the model in Marmoset or Mantra, so I can still choose the easier emissive route where I wouldn't have to create the insides of those lamps and waste a lot of time on lookdev. But I'm really tempted to paint some 8k UDIM tiles and put 3D-Coat into some stress because I haven't done it for some time now. :)

Anyway, I already have some retopo geo which I used as base shapes for the sculpts, so unless I go the Mantra road, this step will take a day or two. That's because I can only spend up to three hours per day on this project - in a VERY optimistic case :(.

Then - texturing and, if I decide to go the Marmoset route, it probably will be the end of the road. :D I should be through with the asset by 23-24th, which should leave me with two or three days left to the new deadline, in case I need them for something.

I have never worked with 8k UDIM tiles before. are there examples of that on the 3d coat gallery?  

I had some major issues today when I worked on my tin toy after work.  My file is still at work so I cant post pictures but basicly I finished all the retopo and bakes just fine and everything looked good.  When I exported my retopo object into Maya and then brought it back into 3d coat I got some dark looking normal on the mesh that I assumed was due to reversed normals. I went back into maya and everything checks out as far as the normals go and I did multiple export tests to rule out all possibilities.  At this point I'm stumped on how to fix this.  Tomorrow I might export into zbrush and then back into 3d coat and see if that works.  My intention was to only bake and retopo one time on items like tires, springs, and other items that are duplicates so that I could save time and texture space.  By doing this I could export my mesh into maya and just duplicate  and position them properly.  Maybe this all could have been done in 3d coat but I could not find a way.  Anyway if anyone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it.  Tomorrow I can post pictures with the errors. 

Also, Another strange thing that was happening that is probably related to the same export issue is when I applied my normal map back onto the imported mesh I was getting major artifacts.  This same normal map is being used in my original 3d coat file that I did all the bakes in and it looks fine.   

• Contributor

My intention was to only bake and retopo one time on items like tires, springs, and other items that are duplicates so that I could save time and texture space.  By doing this I could export my mesh into maya and just duplicate  and position them properly.  Maybe this all could have been done in 3d coat but I could not find a way.  Anyway if anyone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it.  Tomorrow I can post pictures with the errors. 

I had the same problem with one of my models once (1, 2), and I solved it the same way you did. Well, almost the same, because I did not bother myself with reimporting copied shapes for texturing. :)

Transforming, copying and instancing objects in the Paint Room sounds like a good feature request. :good2:

Edited by ajz3d

Thanks AJ for the response.  I found a solution.  when you move a retopo mesh in Maya and import it back into 3d coat without freezing transformations then you get the error I described.  After freezing transformations and importing it again all the normal issues went away.  Also the normal map error was due to the fact I Needed to import the normal map as world space instead of just normal map.  Thankfully I figured this out and can continue painting the Tin Toy today.  :)  

• Like 1

Here is the technical explanation to what I think was going on. 

The transform node holds transformation values (t/r/s), when you click "freeze transformations" maya "pushes" those values on the transform node down to the vertices - updating their individual informations.  Then resetting the transform node values to the default settings.  I wonder if it would be possible to make this part of the import options or just as a default.  Possibly another feature request.  

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'm glad you figured out how to overcome those problems. I'm very eager to see the final result. Because if anyone, like Tony put it, is making a bloody prototype, it's you. And that's because, holy cow, your last WIP chews bubblegum and kicks a$$! And it's all out of bubblegum! :D:good2:

---

I'm, on the other hand, currently facing problems with scene management. Not being able to take advantage of multiple selection in the VoxTree is really giving me a hard time. I have 64 objects in my scene, and it's already difficult to deal with them. And I will be producing more of objects today... :shok:  Argh!

• Contributor

Quick update before I pass out. I took off plastic light covers to expose light bulbs which might, or might not make it to the final render. I might as well remove most of their elements leaving only their coils to save on render time.

Almost all geometry is there... except of those two astronauts about whom I completely forgot!

post-12523-0-07502400-1458692321_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok so here is where I left off tonight.  Its getting late and I'm tired so I think that's it for the night.  I still have allot of decal work to do specifically on the robot, grill, side art and various other areas.  I want to add a layer of dirt and rust in various places also. I should be able to wrap this up tomorrow and give it a proper render.  AJ how are you coming along?  

post-39822-0-73887800-1458791221_thumb.p

post-39822-0-12835800-1458791227_thumb.p

post-39822-0-90533200-1458791234_thumb.p

post-39822-0-24643500-1458791243_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Contributor

It looks beautiful already! It will be a tough toy to compete with. :) Can you post a screenshot of your wires?

I sculpted a pilot yesterday and will be doing the other astronaut in just a moment. I decided not to leave the computer today until I'm done with retopo.

thanks for the kind words guys!  I will update a a screenshot of my wire sometime today when I get back to my desk.  Glad your adding the astronauts AJ!   If you need a bit more time we can shoot for Monday for final submission.   Will that give you enough time to finish up?