Blaster

13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

• Contributor

I'm not sure. It's hard to tell. I'm optimistic and I have about one or two hours to finish the sculpt. If I can finish retopo this night, I might as well make it before the deadline.

Here are the astronauts:

post-12523-0-32863100-1458842810_thumb.j

• Like 1

No rush AJ just make sure you are happy with your finished model and texturing.   Glad we are extending the Deadline 3/31/2016 sounds great to me.  This will give me some time to figure out how to get my model into Sketchfab or marmoset.  

• Like 1

Nice retopo work aj! I powered through most of mine with autotopo. I need to go in and reduce but for now it will do. Gary you should def check out the retopo room and watch some YouTube tutorials. Its really easy to get up and running. I love the retopo tools!

• Advanced Member

No no, I'm very familiar with the retopo tools. It's just ajz3d's mesh looks like a lot of hassle to do with 3dc, lots of edges needing to be very straight and precise. I'm not saying it's impossible, just looks incredibly tedious, at-least with my experience using all the retopo tools.

• Contributor

Gary, I retopologized it entirely in 3D-Coat and mostly with Quads, Add/Split (only when Quads would fail, or when I needed to create triangles) and Split Edges tools. In fact, about 1/2 or more of the geometry that you see was generated with Split Edges, with new vertices tweaked slightly with Move tool.

Blaster, how big is your texture map?

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Using strong cavity and bulge settings in new sculpt shaders greatly increases curvature clarity of a reference mesh. I find it to be a big time saver that reduces the number of tweaks needed for putting retopo geometry into correct place. I don't even need to rotate environment map in order to locate gentle curves of my sculpture that would otherwise be hard to spot at a glance.

This is a fantastic feature.

AJ if you need a bigger texture resolution go for it.  I should have gone with an 8k but I was happy enough with 4k.  Also does anyone know if I need to prep my model in any kind of way for sketchfab to work.  Under help there is an export to sketchfab option but when I use it I just crash to my desktop.  Would be useful if anyone has this process documented or a tutorial on the subject. 

Xnormal is fine. Are you using a script that batches all your bakes in xnornal or doing them individually? I finally figured out how to bake all my normal maps in 3dcoat in one shot. Both your retopo layer and vox layers have to be named the same. It took me awhile to figure this out but its such a time saver.

• Contributor

Xnormal is fine. Are you using a script that batches all your bakes in xnornal or doing them individually? I finally figured out how to bake all my normal maps in 3dcoat in one shot. Both your retopo layer and vox layers have to be named the same. It took me awhile to figure this out but its such a time saver.

Sort of. I'm using a Houdini script that semi-automates bake cage creation, explodes the object and passes output geometry (lowpoly, highpoly and cages) to xNormal. However I can't find time to complete its XML export module, so some actions in xNormal still need to be set up manually.

• Contributor

Yea... Almost, almost... there.

I have completed the undercarriage, with wheels and stuff, and I'm currently retopologizing lights.

Blaster, have you made your decision of choosing between Sketchfab and Marmoset Viewer as your final rendering engine? (Great Scott, don't pay attention to the grammar in this sentence, please!)

Edited by ajz3d

I tried using 3d coat to sketchfab function but It would crash 3dcoat to my desktop so not sure what is going on there.  I might just export everything and load it manually but if I have trouble I will just go with the renders I currently have as my final images. 

Yea... Almost, almost... there.

I have completed the undercarriage, with wheels and stuff, and I'm currently retopologizing lights.

Blaster, have you made your decision of choosing between Sketchfab and Marmoset Viewer as your final rendering engine? (Great Scott, don't pay attention to the grammar in this sentence, please!)