Blaster

13th Challenge: Tin Toys

13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

Only a small update today as I didn't have much time to spend on the model since my last initial WIP. I encountered a bug in the retopo room that was deleting faces from my groups once I hid, and after some time, revealed them, so I spent a lot of time patching up affected areas up to a point where I simply started to export groups that I considered as "done" to .objs, just to be on the safe side.

I think most of the hard, unpleasant work is behind me and I can start drilling some holes in the tin. Now this will be fun! :moil:

This is a two-part main fuselage from retopo room, imported to sculpt room with some outer thickness and subdivided a couple of times. I'm not too happy with it, but modelling with subdivs in retopo room isn't the easiest of tasks if you ask me, and I'm not used to it. :crazy:

post-12523-0-11247900-1456955989_thumb.j

• Like 1

I drilled all holes that the upper fuselage needed. That's it for today.

The tin could be thinner, but I was afraid that converting an even thinner object to voxels (I needed it for painless boolean ops) would require much more geometric resolution. Currently it requires around 20-27 millions voxel res  to do a, more-or-less, lossless conversion.

post-12523-0-16251700-1456960597_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

It looks as though you have printing in mind to go to all that work. It does really look good.

• Like 2

Thanks, Tony. :)

Another update. All holes of the upper and lower fuselage are done, though I might redo them because their current positions have been very roughly eye-balled.

post-12523-0-44855800-1457028168_thumb.j

• Like 1

Some more elements. Geometry of lamps will be a little bit tricky. I want them to render correctly later on. For now, they're just simple FFD capsules.

post-12523-0-73544000-1457129965_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Very nice keep it up.

Still haven't started mine......

• Like 1

One the picture - one of the most troublesome parts of the model, and not because they're difficult to deal with but because of how much time it takes in 3D-Coat to do traditional modelling when compared to a dedicated software.

This is one of the many parts that need to be merged with the sculpt after hole drilling. I model those parts it in the Retopo Room then reimport those things into Sculpt Room with some subdivision applied. Oh, how I wish that CC subdivision could be previewed in the Retopo Room...

post-12523-0-98323300-1457653457_thumb.j

I do booleans on voxel layers. I love voxels, but, a more-or-less lossless (well, in fact it's never lossless :)), conversion of thin surface layers to voxels require a helluva lot of triangles. And vast amounts of geometry quickly decrease 3D-Coat's overall UI performance by a lot. Moving the cursor becomes very difficult. I probably need to upgrade to a better video card real soon. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Inner side of battery compartment doors. It may seem that it won't be visible on the final renders, but who knows? I'd like to be able to open those doors. :)

On the right there's a geo from the post above. It's going to be imported and transformed two more times and merged with the back door in appropriate places.

post-12523-0-81586900-1457654957_thumb.j

• Like 3

Amazing attention to detail AJz3d!  I am having a hard time getting my surfaces as thin as yours.  Thanks for sharing your workflow!

• Like 1

One the picture - one of the most troublesome parts of the model, and not because they're difficult to deal with but because of how much time it takes in 3D-Coat to do traditional modelling when compared to a dedicated software.

This is one of the many parts that need to be merged with the sculpt after hole drilling. I model those parts it in the Retopo Room then reimport those things into Sculpt Room with some subdivision applied. Oh, how I wish that CC subdivision could be previewed in the Retopo Room...

attachicon.gifapollo_starship_tin_toy_wip08.jpg

I do booleans on voxel layers. I love voxels, but, a more-or-less lossless (well, in fact it's never lossless :)), conversion of thin surface layers to voxels require a helluva lot of triangles. And vast amounts of geometry quickly decrease 3D-Coat's overall UI performance by a lot. Moving the cursor becomes very difficult. I probably need to upgrade to a better video card real soon. :)

I dont think gpu horse power has anything to do with this. Its more of the ram it carries.

For cuda , gtx 470 , gtx 970 and gtx 980 performs exactly the same or i havent noticed any difference at all.

On all other software i use and they are gpu accelerated performance boost is huge.

Only on 4.5.30 i noticed a HUGE performance boost and i believe it has to do with the new shaders or something Andrew changed.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 2

sure Ajz3d I dont have a problem with extending the deadline. It is more important that people finish and are happy with the final results than rushing to get the challenge done.  I'm working on the Retopo now so I should be done with that today and will post updates.  Keep up the good work.

np

extended :D

sure Ajz3d I dont have a problem with extending the deadline. It is more important that people finish and are happy with the final results than rushing to get the challenge done. I'm working on the Retopo now so I should be done with that today and will post updates. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys!

I'm looking forward to see the retopo, Blaster. :good2: 

I dont think gpu horse power has anything to do with this. Its more of the ram it carries.

For cuda , gtx 470 , gtx 970 and gtx 980 performs exactly the same or i havent noticed any difference at all.

On all other software i use and they are gpu accelerated performance boost is huge.

Only on 4.5.30 i noticed a HUGE performance boost and i believe it has to do with the new shaders or something Andrew changed.

My card has 3GB of VRAM (It's a GTX 660 Ti). I'm currently working on objects that are about 10-17M triangles each (one to two objects displayed at a time) and responsiveness of a cursor and menus is quite sluggish. Up to a point where I temporarily replace various objects with their decimated duplicates. I suspect it has something to do with thin surfaces or the number of objects I have in the scene, because if I start a new scene with the default voxel bust upres'd to 52M, then the UI is much more responsive than in my Apollo scene (apart of viewport performance, which is slightly slower by three or four frames per second).

I remember that Andrew once said that the large amount of objects can slow down the viewport, but I thought it only applies when they're visible.

Edited by ajz3d

I did not get that far along with Retopo today and I still have a bit of modeling to do but here is where I left off. I will be working on getting the remaining retopo done tomorrow night and then moving on to the paint room. 

I am not experiencing that much slow down unless all my layers are on.  When I keep them off everything seems fine to me. 

post-39822-0-93180200-1457933720_thumb.p

post-39822-0-22642800-1457934308_thumb.p

Edited by Blaster
  • Like 4

Darn, I wish I was done with the modelling already. I'm so eager to start working on the textures... :)

I'm currently doing wheels and cockpit, but there's nothing much to show yet.

Edited by ajz3d

I know... at least when you get to the texturing you can start to see the finish line. lol.  How much longer do you think you have AJz3d?    

• Like 1

I know... at least when you get to the texturing you can start to see the finish line. lol.  How much longer do you think you have AJz3d?    

Hey Blaster! Let me think. I'm almost done with the cockpit and the undercarriage. Then I'll have to create geometry for several lamps that this toy has. I already have their outer shapes, but no inner geo and no lightbulbs yet (though I think I have some bulbs stashed in my geo library). I want those lamps to look realistic after I put some lights in them. Hell, I'm still hesitating between rendering the model in Marmoset or Mantra, so I can still choose the easier emissive route where I wouldn't have to create the insides of those lamps and waste a lot of time on lookdev. But I'm really tempted to paint some 8k UDIM tiles and put 3D-Coat into some stress because I haven't done it for some time now. :)

Anyway, I already have some retopo geo which I used as base shapes for the sculpts, so unless I go the Mantra road, this step will take a day or two. That's because I can only spend up to three hours per day on this project - in a VERY optimistic case :(.

Then - texturing and, if I decide to go the Marmoset route, it probably will be the end of the road. :D I should be through with the asset by 23-24th, which should leave me with two or three days left to the new deadline, in case I need them for something.

• Like 1

I have to commend you on all the details your adding. I can't wait to see some more updates! I was thinking of trying to get my tin toy in sketchfab to show off the pbr materials. Has anyone done this before? Im not sure what model viewer would work best for 3dcoat.

• Like 1

Works just fine in sketchfab.

Hey Blaster! Let me think. I'm almost done with the cockpit and the undercarriage. Then I'll have to create geometry for several lamps that this toy has. I already have their outer shapes, but no inner geo and no lightbulbs yet (though I think I have some bulbs stashed in my geo library). I want those lamps to look realistic after I put some lights in them. Hell, I'm still hesitating between rendering the model in Marmoset or Mantra, so I can still choose the easier emissive route where I wouldn't have to create the insides of those lamps and waste a lot of time on lookdev. But I'm really tempted to paint some 8k UDIM tiles and put 3D-Coat into some stress because I haven't done it for some time now. :)

Anyway, I already have some retopo geo which I used as base shapes for the sculpts, so unless I go the Mantra road, this step will take a day or two. That's because I can only spend up to three hours per day on this project - in a VERY optimistic case :(.

Then - texturing and, if I decide to go the Marmoset route, it probably will be the end of the road. :D I should be through with the asset by 23-24th, which should leave me with two or three days left to the new deadline, in case I need them for something.

I have never worked with 8k UDIM tiles before. are there examples of that on the 3d coat gallery?