Blaster

13th Challenge: Tin Toys

13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

Looking great!!  love how this is coming together.   I'm going to try and power through sunday and get as much texturing done as possible.  I will update sometime tomorrow.   

• Like 1

I had some major issues today when I worked on my tin toy after work.  My file is still at work so I cant post pictures but basicly I finished all the retopo and bakes just fine and everything looked good.  When I exported my retopo object into Maya and then brought it back into 3d coat I got some dark looking normal on the mesh that I assumed was due to reversed normals. I went back into maya and everything checks out as far as the normals go and I did multiple export tests to rule out all possibilities.  At this point I'm stumped on how to fix this.  Tomorrow I might export into zbrush and then back into 3d coat and see if that works.  My intention was to only bake and retopo one time on items like tires, springs, and other items that are duplicates so that I could save time and texture space.  By doing this I could export my mesh into maya and just duplicate  and position them properly.  Maybe this all could have been done in 3d coat but I could not find a way.  Anyway if anyone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it.  Tomorrow I can post pictures with the errors. 

Also, Another strange thing that was happening that is probably related to the same export issue is when I applied my normal map back onto the imported mesh I was getting major artifacts.  This same normal map is being used in my original 3d coat file that I did all the bakes in and it looks fine.   

My intention was to only bake and retopo one time on items like tires, springs, and other items that are duplicates so that I could save time and texture space.  By doing this I could export my mesh into maya and just duplicate  and position them properly.  Maybe this all could have been done in 3d coat but I could not find a way.  Anyway if anyone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it.  Tomorrow I can post pictures with the errors. 

I had the same problem with one of my models once (1, 2), and I solved it the same way you did. Well, almost the same, because I did not bother myself with reimporting copied shapes for texturing. :)

Transforming, copying and instancing objects in the Paint Room sounds like a good feature request. :good2:

Edited by ajz3d

Thanks AJ for the response.  I found a solution.  when you move a retopo mesh in Maya and import it back into 3d coat without freezing transformations then you get the error I described.  After freezing transformations and importing it again all the normal issues went away.  Also the normal map error was due to the fact I Needed to import the normal map as world space instead of just normal map.  Thankfully I figured this out and can continue painting the Tin Toy today.  :)  

• Like 1

Here is the technical explanation to what I think was going on. 

The transform node holds transformation values (t/r/s), when you click "freeze transformations" maya "pushes" those values on the transform node down to the vertices - updating their individual informations.  Then resetting the transform node values to the default settings.  I wonder if it would be possible to make this part of the import options or just as a default.  Possibly another feature request.  

• Like 1

Ok new problem im having is that the model seems to have some kind of strange back face culling issues.  The model renders invisible on the inside.  Does anyone know how to solve this?  

post-39822-0-18473800-1458684308_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok that was simple... I figured it out.  If this happens to anyone you can set back face culling in the view menu and just tick off back face culling.  I dont know how it got turned on in the first place but glad it was a simple fix.

• Like 1

I'm glad you figured out how to overcome those problems. I'm very eager to see the final result. Because if anyone, like Tony put it, is making a bloody prototype, it's you. And that's because, holy cow, your last WIP chews bubblegum and kicks a$$! And it's all out of bubblegum! :D:good2:

---

I'm, on the other hand, currently facing problems with scene management. Not being able to take advantage of multiple selection in the VoxTree is really giving me a hard time. I have 64 objects in my scene, and it's already difficult to deal with them. And I will be producing more of objects today... :shok:  Argh!

If you were like me, AJ, you would just fake it.  Anyway, my vote is between you and Blaster (another glutton for punishment, ah youth) ;)

• Like 1

Quick update before I pass out. I took off plastic light covers to expose light bulbs which might, or might not make it to the final render. I might as well remove most of their elements leaving only their coils to save on render time.

Almost all geometry is there... except of those two astronauts about whom I completely forgot!

post-12523-0-07502400-1458692321_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok so here is where I left off tonight.  Its getting late and I'm tired so I think that's it for the night.  I still have allot of decal work to do specifically on the robot, grill, side art and various other areas.  I want to add a layer of dirt and rust in various places also. I should be able to wrap this up tomorrow and give it a proper render.  AJ how are you coming along?  

post-39822-0-73887800-1458791221_thumb.p

post-39822-0-12835800-1458791227_thumb.p

post-39822-0-90533200-1458791234_thumb.p

post-39822-0-24643500-1458791243_thumb.p

• Like 3

It looks beautiful already! It will be a tough toy to compete with. :) Can you post a screenshot of your wires?

I sculpted a pilot yesterday and will be doing the other astronaut in just a moment. I decided not to leave the computer today until I'm done with retopo.

Super nice work Blaster 

• Like 1

thanks for the kind words guys!  I will update a a screenshot of my wire sometime today when I get back to my desk.  Glad your adding the astronauts AJ!   If you need a bit more time we can shoot for Monday for final submission.   Will that give you enough time to finish up?   

I'm not sure. It's hard to tell. I'm optimistic and I have about one or two hours to finish the sculpt. If I can finish retopo this night, I might as well make it before the deadline.

Here are the astronauts:

post-12523-0-32863100-1458842810_thumb.j

• Like 1

No doubt they are hollow too. Autopo may get you through on time. 

I might do that. Manual retopo of thin surfaces is a nightmare because vertices tend to snap to the underside.

Deadline extended 3/31/2016

• Like 1

No rush AJ just make sure you are happy with your finished model and texturing.   Glad we are extending the Deadline 3/31/2016 sounds great to me.  This will give me some time to figure out how to get my model into Sketchfab or marmoset.  

• Like 1