3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Send model from paint room to sculpt room

Frimasson

• Reputable Contributor

Couple small things to add to that...MERGE in the Sculpt Room has been renamed IMPORT, (per many users request). And, if you have no mesh in the Retopo Room, you can quickly bring a copy from the Paint Room by going to the RETOPO menu > Use Visible Objects in Paint Room. Depending on how significant the difference between the original version and the newly sculpted version, you will probably need to re-snap the Retopo mesh to fit the new changes in the Sculpt room. You can click the SNAP button for the whole model or use the Brush tool to lightly tap, nudge or stroke the local areas that need some adjustment. It will automatically snap the region under your brush as you make slight tweaks.

If you have to make fairly large adjustments, you will want to turn Auto-Snapping off in the toolbar, to prevent from having to struggle against it as you make these large changes. That's also a good reason to bring the copy of the Paint room mesh into the Retopo Room before you start sculpting. If you have to do some significant reshaping, then there is a feature called CONFORM RETOPO MESH in the toolbar, that will adjust the retopo mesh as you make those large scale edits.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I have a low poly mesh that I have applied a displacement map, normal map and albedo map to in the paint room.

I want to bring this into the sculpt room to perform some sculpting tasks, but need the mesh to have as much info as possible (surface detail and color)

Is there a way to bake all this info down and export into a single polypainted mesh that I can then subsequently bring into the sculpt room?

In the first video above there was a different export menu that allowed you to bake out a higher res mesh using the normal and displacement map data, but this no longer seems to exist

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, arumiat said:

I have a low poly mesh that I have applied a displacement map, normal map and albedo map to in the paint room.

I want to bring this into the sculpt room to perform some sculpting tasks, but need the mesh to have as much info as possible (surface detail and color)

Is there a way to bake all this info down and export into a single polypainted mesh that I can then subsequently bring into the sculpt room?

In the first video above there was a different export menu that allowed you to bake out a higher res mesh using the normal and displacement map data, but this no longer seems to exist

That option is only available in Microvertex Mode. Please send Andrew an E-Mail (asking him to allow baked displacement for PPP mode too, as it can very helpful in situations like this)

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, arumiat said:

Thank you AbnRanger , importing as a microvertex mesh, applying the maps, and then exporting as a high res mesh using the export menu did what I need.

To be clear there is no way to go direct to the sculpt room from the paint room at this point?

You can, but I am not aware of a way to Bake displacement in the process. Andrew has a crap ton of things on his plate right now, trying to roll out some HUGE features for V5, so I would be reluctant to ask him for any more "stuff" at the moment. You can ask him (support@3dcoat.com) to add an Option to send PAINT MESH TO SCULPT MESH w. BAKED DISPLACEMENT. But, he has not only a full plate, but one that is spilling over, it's so full.

You can send a mesh directly from the Paint Room to the Sculpt room by going to the Sculpt Room > GEOMETRY menu > Paint Mesh to Sculpt Mesh. What's strange is 3D Coat will bake the displacement of the low poly mesh, but not allow the user to choose a higher resolution like they can if they go through the FILE > EXPORT menu. What's even more weirder is that a user can go to the VIEW Menu > ADJUST TESSELLATION to see a subdivided version in the viewport (so there is enough subdivision/resolution to create small details)....but, there is no way to export with that level of subdivision.

• Advanced Member

Weirdly the baked mesh wouldn't come into the paint room for me, but actually I've managed to achieve the ability to do what I want to do by using the 'Show poly paint objects in the sculpt room' option and then ghosting the sculpt object and using pick and act option. Although still makes things more difficult than having a baked mesh in there as lose some visibility of the mesh I'm trying to sculpt the shells on. Here was the issue

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

Toward the end there, to see the result you have to choose another tool, because the IMPORT or PRIMTIVES tool will leave the preview mesh in place, assuming you still want to use it. To tell 3D Coat you do not want to see the preview mesh, you simply choose something else. Also, when you import into Per Pixel Painting, you have an option in the VIEW menu, at the very bottom of the drop list, to SHOW DISPLACEMENT and to adjust the tessellation of the the mesh that drives the displacement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh, I give up.

I want to do exactly the same as arumiat. I did everything you wrote here, but after exporting as a high res mesh using the export menu my mesh is still lacking normal map details. It's really high poly, but without details.

Could you help me, please? Any, even exaggeratedly simple, step-by-step would be VERY appreciated.

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, Heksagon said:

Sigh, I give up.

I want to do exactly the same as arumiat. I did everything you wrote here, but after exporting as a high res mesh using the export menu my mesh is still lacking normal map details. It's really high poly, but without details.

Could you help me, please? Any, even exaggeratedly simple, step-by-step would be VERY appreciated.

You cannot bake displacement from PPP mode at this point. It needs to be Microvertex mode.

55 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

You cannot bake displacement from PPP mode at this point. It needs to be Microvertex mode.

1. Micro - Vertex from splash menu
2. Import - > select mesh
3. Texture -> Import -> Normal Map
4. File -> Export -> High-poly mesh
5. Then go to the Scultp Room
6. File -> Import Object
7. Aaaand the imported mesh has no normal maps' details.

I'm pretty much a beginner, could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Before Importing the mesh to the Sculpt room, I can see the proper, high poly and detailed mesh, if the "View -> Show Poly object in Sculpt Room" is on - but I have no idea how to make it editable. I'm really clueless. There is any way to create a mesh from this preview?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Heksagon said:

1. Micro - Vertex from splash menu
2. Import - > select mesh
3. Texture -> Import -> Normal Map
4. File -> Export -> High-poly mesh
5. Then go to the Scultp Room
6. File -> Import Object
7. Aaaand the imported mesh has no normal maps' details.

I'm pretty much a beginner, could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Before Importing the mesh to the Sculpt room, I can see the proper, high poly and detailed mesh, if the "View -> Show Poly object in Sculpt Room" is on - but I have no idea how to make it editable. I'm really clueless. There is any way to create a mesh from this preview?

It doesn't bake imported NORMAL Map details to a mesh, but DISPLACEMENT map details. Try to sculpt (paint with depth channel enabled) some detail in MicroVertex mode, then export and see what I mean.

11 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

It doesn't bake imported NORMAL Map details to a mesh, but DISPLACEMENT map details. Try to sculpt (paint with depth channel enabled) some detail in MicroVertex mode, then export and see what I mean.

I see... But I'm still not sure how to get the desired results.

If only DISPLACEMENT maps  may be baked - there is any way to create a displacement map from the normal map inside 3d-coat? (Yeah, I'm a beginner, as I mentioned before).

I would be extremaly grateful for your help.

• Reputable Contributor
1 minute ago, Heksagon said:

I see... But I'm still not sure how to get the desired results.

If only DISPLACEMENT maps  may be baked - there is any way to create a displacement map from the normal map inside 3d-coat? (Yeah, I'm a beginner, as I mentioned before).

I would be extremaly grateful for your help.

You could email Andrew (support@3dcoat.com) and ask for the ability to do so, including the ability to bake to displaced mesh in PPP mode and to be able to quickly send this to the Sculpt Room, without having to export outside the app and import. There is an option to send Paint Mesh to Sculpt Mesh, in the GEOMETRY Menu of the Sculpt Room, but it won't currently displace the depth (displacement map) channel info, in the process.

• 1 year later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Send model from paint room to sculpt room

Hi 

To edit imported normal map in the paint room is not possible, sorry.

Normal maps dont modify geometry mesh,  is a technique used for faking the lighting of bumps and dents. It is used to add details without using more polygons. 

If you like try awesomebump, its free.

What can AwesomeBump do?

• convert from normal map to height map,
  • convert from height map (bump map) to normal map,
  • extract the bump from the arbitrary image,
  • calculate ambient occlusion and specularity of image.
  • perspective tranformation of the image,
  • creating seamless texture (simple linear filter, random mode, or mirror filter),
  • generate roughness and metallic textures (different types of surface analysis are available),
  • real time tessellation is available,
  • saving images to following formats: PNG, JPG,BMP,TGA
  • edit one texture which contains different materials
  • add some grunge to your map with grunge texture.
  • mix two bumpmaps togheter with normal map mixer.
  • and many others, see our videos on YouTube

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Normal maps dont modify geometry mesh,  is a technique used for faking the lighting of bumps and dents. It is used to add details without using more polygons. 

Hi Carlosan & Heksagon,

Yup the concept is not lost on me – I understand new geometry isn't being created by a normal map. What is lost on me is why, if a normal map can be displayed to look like any other layer's depth channel, can't it be converted to a regular 3D-Coat layer's depth channel.?

And if thats not possible why can't it be baked to a higher res (much denser) mesh? You can do it with displacement map.

To edit imported normal map in the paint room is not possible, sorry

I'm seeing this is true, but surely cloning (translation) should be possible. Right? It seems like such an obvious functionality to me.

There are some programs that are designed to create depth maps from the normal maps, I tested some, but the results were just... not impressive.

I've been finding this too - I'm surprised, seems like normal maps are just a mathematical description described by colour of normal directions. Why can't an inverse be simple to go back to a bump map or height or whatever. 

@ Carlosan

I would like to try AwesomeBump and I came across the same description as quoted above – unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a macOS version – so if I'm not going to jump through hoops I'll be out of luck there too.

Has anyone experimented with AwesomeBump that can report on it's results?

Thanks Again! 
--Shift Studio.

Edited by Shift Studio

Thanks for your help Carlosan. 

It seems I'm not going to be able to fix and modify some normal map stuff the way I'd like.

Yes, I've had CrazyBump for years! Its cool. I've decided to make changes via diffuse map and create new normals using CrazyBump.

So far in my testing it seems like this workflow may be okay in this case.

I may be back for more - we'll see.

--shift studio

• Like 1