3DCoat Forums

Problem when trying to import/texture larger objects

Drakblod

Go to solution Solved by Drakblod,

Hi! 

Ive recently started using 3D-coat and so far its been working like a charm. But it is also my first real endavour into the quite complex world of 3D-modeling and so i stand here with some questions regarding importing objects for texturing and freezing when doing certain things. 

When i try to import an object for per pixel painting that isnt too big och complex it takes a really long time for it to load it. But when its done, if it doesnt freeze, everything is working as it should. But if i try to import one of my mechs for example it just freezes and eats all my ram. I have tried leaving it loading the model for up to 3 hours just to see if its just loading extremely slow or if it freezes but no results. 

TLDR: 

Tips for importing bigger models for UV and texturing without breaking your computer? 

How much RAM do you have? I have 12 GB which was maxed out with some models. Try Import>Without voxelization.

Im currently sitting with 16GB and always keeping an eye on how much i got left, and 3d coat never eats away all of it. I dont have any problems as long as i stick to modeling and rendering though, it just takes some time but always works after the model is loaded. 

Cant find the "without voxelization" option.... 

• Reputable Contributor

Workflow information needed as it is hard give a good answer without detailed information.

You are importing into the paint for Per Pixel Painting and not to the sculpt room. You desire to paint only. is this correct as you stated you were importing into the paint room for PPP.

There is no import for voxelization for the paint room only the sculpt room.

Questions to answer.

What is the polygon amount of your model.

Does it already have a uv set / sets or UV tiles / shells or are you auto creating your uv sets.

How many uv sets are created upon import to the paint room. This is shown in the import panel.

What is your texture resolution,  1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k

Do you get any kind of uv warning popup when importing the model.

How much video ram does your card have.

Thanks for the direction. 

I managed to work around the problem by just going from the sculpt room to paint room. Now im standing here with a painted model that i want to get into keyshot but i have no idea how to do it. 

My polycount for the whole model is about 15 000 000 and i dont know the resolution of the texture, although it doesnt look like more than about 2k. 

Tldr: I have painted my model but dont know how to make keyshot understand how the texture should be placed. What do i do.

Ska_rmavbild_2016_01_24_kl_23_19_21.png

• Like 1