3DCoat Forums

3D Coat for VR

Routb3d

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

• Advanced Member

I think its time for 3D coat to start looking to the future of 3D modeling. There has been a recent evolution of display and input technologies that undoubtedly will replace 2D monitors and 2D input devices like mice.

I was a Beta tester for VR Clay.

Having the sense of presence to be THERE in a 3D environment with a 3D  model makes much more of a difference than one might think. After experiencing modeling in VR I immediately knew that we have been limited by our technology.

Oculus will be shipping the worlds first consumer ready VR headset in late March. Oculus has developed a 3D input device called Touch that will ship this summer. Touch allows full 3D input and hand gestures from both hands. With touch, Oculus developed Oculus Medium, a VR program designed to let people freely and easily sculpt and paint in a VR environment. I'm sure that Oculus Medium has no where near the robust tool set as 3DCoat.  

The HTC Vive is Oculus's only competitor at the moment. The Vive will be shipping with controllers this April and is set to go on Preorder Feb 29th. The system is expected to ship for under 1K USD. I beta tested Tilt Brush and can say that the UI is nothing short of fantastic. Its very nice to be able to generate 3D content so easily. The experience is intoxicating and fun. 

Another one to watch out for is Sixense's MakeVR. I was able to try MakeVR in 2013 with the Oculus DK1. MakeVR is attempting to make a 1st generation VR CAD experience. I would say that they have done just that. Make VR is extremely intuitive and even allows simultaneous collaboration with multiple users within a CAD file. You can literally watch your peers building. 

If 3D coat were interested in developing a VR front end for their robust tool set I would recommend contacting Oculus or HTC about getting a development kit. The Iron is hot and it's time to strike. 3D coat could quickly become the professional 3D sculpting app in the VR community. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Contributor

Lets take this a step further. We need basic VR HMD support at least but the future for building will be the use of VR Treadmills so you can walk in and around your creations to observe. There is one tool that gives us basic HMD support and that is Vorpx. I don't know how the plugin will work today but years ago when I first posted about VR support with Vorpx, it didn't allow head tracking, it was basically like looking at your monitor inside a VR display. 

I also offered a revolutionary display conversion idea to allow 3DCoat to have holographic functionality for any LED monitor with a Microlux thin sheet plastic film applied to it so users/audience can view their creations as if looking around the corner via head movement.  People wont need VR to have this viewing realism.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 3/13/2024 at 7:47 PM, Carlosan said:

Still is under development, but we haven't a release date.

Ok. Thank you for the answer.