3DCoat Forums

Skull model

rb452k

Hi there!

I'm trying out the alpha to see how I can use it to make stuff for the games I work on.

skullTJ.jpg

That's a skull model I made in volumetric sculpt in about an hour (from a sphere) and then retopo'd a low-res & made a normal map, as I'd use in game.

The green one is volumetric, the white ones are hi-res & low-res with normal map!

I am enjoying this program a lot :D

Cheers!

Ren

• Advanced Member

That's cool. We have been testing it here on game assets too - mostly for 3d concepting and topology. Baking in 3DC worked fine, the only thing is inability to control uvs shells directly and absence of multiple vertex normals(smoothing groups).

That's cool. We have been testing it here on game assets too - mostly for 3d concepting and topology. Baking in 3DC worked fine, the only thing is inability to control uvs shells directly and absence of multiple vertex normals(smoothing groups).

I tried the UV tools in 3dcoat & liked them, I found keeping a UV set on an imported model gave draw errors, so I let 3dc do it's own UVs.

My preffered method at the moment goes something like this:

1. model in max/maya

2. Do UVs in 3dcoat

3. export back to max, re-organise UVs to suit me.

4. Work in 3dcoat

5. bring hi-res mesh out of 3d coat, textures & all.

6. Bake textures onto low-res mesh (and normals) within max.

Seems to work for me :D

• Advanced Member
I tried the UV tools in 3dcoat & liked them, I found keeping a UV set on an imported model gave draw errors, so I let 3dc do it's own UVs.

My preffered method at the moment goes something like this:

1. model in max/maya

2. Do UVs in 3dcoat

3. export back to max, re-organise UVs to suit me.

4. Work in 3dcoat

5. bring hi-res mesh out of 3d coat, textures & all.

6. Bake textures onto low-res mesh (and normals) within max.

Seems to work for me :D

I didn't have any problems bringing a mesh back from UVLayout - though I think it simply has really good obj support. I think that will be my preferred method in future. One thing I'd love to see is the ability to bake an AO map along with the normal map in 3dcoat as well, among others, like cavity maps etc. These can really help kickstart your diffuse and spec maps and save a lot of time. Would be nice if 3dc supported them too, as then it really would be a one stop shop for game assets. =]