3DCoat Forums

Cleaning up this shape....

Justifun

Go to solution Solved by digman,

I made this using the voxel blob tool then scaled it with the transform tool and hit Enter to resample it.

But im getting strange edges.  Not sure how to clean it up...

I tried retopo it, but then realized i didnt know how to make the retopo shell into a new object afterwards...

any suggestions how i can clean up these edges?

thanks

post-40071-0-11734700-1453855409_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

The below might or might not help. I do not have a picture of your 3DC interface.

Adding the below information just to be on the safe side.

Did you scale along one axis when using the transform tool. Do you have a red warning at the bottom of 3DC's interface that reads "Non Uniform"

If so, right click on the model and look in the panel till you see "To Global Space", Select it and it will fixed the distorted voxels. 

Voxels are 3D cube pixels and just like a 2D image, if you stretch them in a non-aspect ratio fashion you will distort them just like you would 2D pixels.

Once the voxels are fixed you will have a easier time fixing any areas that need it. 

A Tip... just another workflow...

Instead of using the transform tool to stretch the object, first select the cube primitive. Then transform to the proper dimensions you need for the object you be will be creating. Press enter or apply to create the real mesh.

Ortho mode.

You will be doing an inverse boolean operation. 

Use the close spline or load shape and the cut off tool to create your shape.

Now hold down the Shift + Ctrl keys. Left click with mouse or tablet pen.

The material will be cut off on outside of the close spline leaving your shape with no transforming needed. 

post-518-0-19185600-1453867762_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Thanks guys

I tried the "make object uniform/global space" thing but i still get quite a few jaggies along the edges.  

The best way seems to be the other workflow you suggested, where you make the primitive the right size before building it, then subtracting from the voxel model with the cut tool.  

• Contributor

You can retopo then use "pick from retopo" command.

Also, try smoothing many many times with smooth command (ajz3d made a script for that). Also try downsample to lower res, then upsample again, or switch to surface mode, use clean mesh command or similar, or decimate, then go back to voxel and pick res desired.