3DCoat Forums

How would you make cuts and keys on the model?

Przemas

Go to solution Solved by digman,

I'm trying to split the model into parts in 3D Coat - the goal is to create something akin to joints in action figures / garage kits. Basically something like this in Zbrush:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?174566-Cuts-and-key-in-zbrush-4r4

Any suggestion howto approach this ?

So far I don't see a viable way - straight cuts seem possible (either with cut tool , or with hide and then "objectify hidden"), but as soon as I need to create something more complex I hit a wall (and that's usually the matter with organic figures - you do not cut straight across biceps for example, you try to hide joint lines in the crevices).

• Reputable Contributor

Some suggestions for you to test to see if they meet your needs.

Use the closed spline tool from from the E-Panel. 3rd from the last in the e-panel.

The split tool is available too for cuts, test it out to see how it is different from the cut off and vox hide tools. It gives you some extra material in case you want to re-merge the layer. That way it matches perfectly. Of couse if you move the object in the layer then it would not match completely.

Also there is the Split and Joints tool in surface mode but that is more for 3D printing.

Edited by digman

Thank you for looking into this Digiman. Unless I'm missing something / use the tools incorrectly those don't work. Closed spline does some strange projection thingy upon completion (which results in funky hole), it does not seem capable of marking the split area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42025148/3dcoat/3d_coat_cutoff.mp4

I hope I'm simply approaching this the wrong way and it should be done differently in 3D Coat - I might be too fixated on defining the split line.

Oh, and when it comes to defining the split line "3D Closed Spline" from the E panel seems like something that would be perfect for the task - sadly there are so few tools it works with and none of those seem relevant to the task. Heck, if this "freeze" thingy actually protected mesh in surface mode from cutoff (or srf hide worked with 3d spline) that would be the solution ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42025148/3dcoat/3dcoat_freeze.mp4

Split and Joints tool is not really useful on organic models with complex split lines as it allows only a flat surface as a cutting plane. And you simply can't do that on a quality model - the joint seam would be too obvious, too visible. When you design a high quality figurine you usually try to hide those in the muscle crevices, crevices between cloth and body etc.

Any suggestions how such split could be done would be awesome. I even started thinking about creating some sort of cutter, but still I don't see a viable way t make it - I'm stuck with this freeze mask which while looks like exactly the thing is not.

• Reputable Contributor

Try this way, you were close in your freeze video.

Surface Mode---

Freeze tool using the 3D-Spline from the e-panel

Draw the spline and freeze the area.

Hide the freeze

Control D. Even though the frozen section is hidden it will remove the freeze mask.

"Objectify Hidden"

This method gives the best control over selecting an area. 3rd picture gives you the result. You can cap the end of arm by using the close hole tool if you so desire.

I too think that the freeze should protect when using the cut off or split tool... 

Your are incorrectly using the closed spline tool in voxel mode as it is camera projection and not ray cast. attached picture is how I would do it...

I would use the split tool but that is an artist call depending upon the model and it's use.

post-518-0-95363800-1453931213_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-02169200-1453931966_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-39624000-1453932515_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Hide the freeze

Digiman you raised my hopes :) - how do you hide the freeze?

Ok, I thought that regular spline is a projection based - so it is not suitable for complex cut. Here's a video showing sample joint (and it is not a crazy complex one, but already impossible with straight cutting / straight projection techniques):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42025148/3dcoat/samplejoint.mp4

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Digiman you raised my hopes :) - how do you hide the freeze?

Ok, I thought that regular spline is a projection based - so it is not suitable for complex cut. Here's a video showing sample joint (and it is not a crazy complex one, but already impossible with straight cutting / straight projection techniques):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42025148/3dcoat/samplejoint.mp4

In Surface mode... Top menus---Freeze menu----Hide Frozen.

• Reputable Contributor

Watched the sample joint video, The model appears to be in separate sections in Modo. Are they saved in the exported file as sub objects?

When importing the model to 3DC, in the import panel, Choose--- "Import as Child"

The separate sub objects will be imported into their own separate vox layers.

post-518-0-83176100-1453933945_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

You rock DIgiman - that was exactly what I've been looking for. So it looks it is doable and I can build a valid workflow around that. Sweet!

As for Modo video - yes the parts are separate. This clip simply shows the end result I'm looking for, not a start model . I also moved the parts from each other so you'd be able to see the joint.

I've made a quick test on a sample "dolly" and it worked - I got nice joint and as a whole manufacturable model. Can't wait to try a real world and quite complex model tomorrow.

Edited by Przemas