3DCoat Forums

Working in real world units

Przemas

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Do you know any tutorial explaining real world units workflow in 3DC? 

I'm trying to make sense of it and I'm struggling. First of all - when I import model into voxel mode I need to scale it all the way up to get proper clay density. While 3DC quite nicely asks me about preserving original scale for export, what about working within 3DC itself? Knowing the real sizes is often crucial - for example when I cut the model into parts and make a small gaps between parts (in reality you can't assemble 2 "perfect parts", you need a small gap between them) I should be able to set the gap size . At this point I'm eyeballing it - setting the offset to the value I want does not work as initial scale has been changed upon import (as written - to get desired density).

It would be great for me to have real world measurements inside 3DC - the tools seem there, but I'm a tad confused howto used those reliably.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Geometry Menu

Define Measurement Units. I set mine to meters as I do not need to be precise as you do... I have not messed about with the other settings in the panel.

Edit Scene Scale...  The bottom line is the only one you need to worry about... default is 1.00, which as you know is huge. I set it to 100..00 to match Blender's metric scale. Blender's two meter cube imports into 3DC at that real world scale. I do not know what you would need to in 3DC's scale to match other software. 

Study the measure tool's panel closely... You can snap your cuts to the measuring line, set your measure units without having to go to the Geometry menu and adjust the main scene measurement units. etc...

Note: "Show in other tools" If the measure tool lines disappear when selecting another tool, create an empty layer, click on that layer, then click back to the original layer and the lines will appear. Appears to be a disappearing bug.

Note: Hold down the shift key to have a straight line.

Note: Even if you scale an object when importing, the Measurement units remain the same. a meter cube will still be a meter cube if you scale it up for voxel mode density.

To create a base scene-----Close 3DC and reopen to a new empty scene set your scale and measure units. Now save that scene as your base 3DC scene.

Hope the above helps some...

post-518-0-44980900-1454096100_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Working in real world units
  • 3 months later...
On 1/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, Carlosan said:
3DCoat-2021-92
Scene Scale.jpg
- You may provide Fixed scene scale in Preferences->View tab

I'm using 3DCoat-2021-31 (my custom navigation is broken in all newer versions). This option is there in my version. Any idea where I might find it?

Thanks!

-- Shift Studio.