3DCoat Forums

Curve Tool: transform only selected points?

ajz3d

• Contributor

Do any tricks exist for transforming selected point groups of a curve (created with a Curve tool)?

I had to alter my sculpture a bit, and now need to move this knot into a new position without touching the rest of the points. However, I can't figure out how. I don't want to type-in new point positions into Edit Points window - that would be too much of a guesswork and trial and error. There must be a simpler way of doing it.

post-12523-0-82231800-1454955914_thumb.j

• Contributor

I tried fiddling with Edit Points, but after several moments of frustration I gave up and decided to redo the curve from scratch.

Edit Points is good for fine tuning, but in this situation - it fails terribly.

We really need some means of transforming selected parts of a curve without much trouble. Some intuitive and productive way!

• Reputable Contributor

Not much. 3D-Coat changes the tool to Transform and curves disappear.

Also, only one point can be selected at a time.

You must have a buggered up Options.xml file? Cause it works correctly, here. If you check TRANSFORM CURVE it scales/manipulates the whole curve, not just the single node. One thing I did notice is that it doesn't heed the SNAP TO 3D GRID option (when you have a vertical workplane in use). It seems to do ok with snap to 2d grid, just not the 3d grid

145498174390.jpg

145498171122.jpg

• Contributor

Oh, you guys mean the Transform Curve checkbox, not the transform tool? In this case the checkbox works perfectly fine, but it applies transforms to the whole curve, and I needed to transform only around 20 out of ~100 points.

I would love a rectangular and lasso selection modes for selecting multiple curve points.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

You might have tried the below already but just in case.

The only way I know to select at least some group of points is with the green cone that comes up when rotate is selected

hold down the left mouse button and then hold and release the shift key for a twisting rotation.

Middle mouse button will move the selected points in rotate mode.

Depending up the direction of the cone is which points are in the selection group... 

Of course there is no way to just select a range of points that you could do with a lasso tool.

Much needed feature, selections through the spline type of  lassos

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, the Curves tool needs some refinement/additions, as there is no way I know of to select multiple nodes > transform. Just one node at a time. I would also prefer a circle like the splines in the e-panel, rather than those shiny nodes. I would also like to be able to toggle transparency for the curve, so I can see the surface beneath it.

I was just speaking to Andrew about curves, he has a good idea. Not sure when it can be worked on though. Anyway, he does know they need some work. :)

We're having some trouble (at work) with the curves in 3DC as well. They need some updating.

Edited by Javis
(at work)
  • Like 1