3DCoat Forums

Making a closed spline in retopo room: too few segments?

Spinland

I'm starting to retopo my first voxel sculpt, and I'm having a problem starting around the eyes.  As you can see in the three screen shots I'm attaching, the first spline only comes in with three control points instead of the circle I accurately drew around the actual edge of the eye socket. Then when I draw a connecting spline to make a loop using the two closed ones (second shot)  I end up with the messed-up poly loop result shown in the third shot.

Is there some setting I need to tweak to make the first spline come in with enough control points to be usable?

Many thanks in advance!

post-26986-0-87842600-1455907894_thumb.p

post-26986-0-87707000-1455907898_thumb.p

post-26986-0-66762300-1455907902_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

You just need intersecting green guide strokes...

Retopo work not shown for quality but only to show the method.

Manually close the center and in the attached image I added an extra edge loop using the Split Rings tools

In my example I manually added the amount of green strokes for the number of polygons I wanted. You could just add one intersecting green stroke and the number of polygons created will be by the number of segments you select in the top tool bar.

Strokes Tool part 1 and 2

At the 12:10 mark in the first video is the section that deals with adding an intersecting green stroke or strokes to the orange close spline loops

post-518-0-35675900-1455909797_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-75274100-1455910270_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

In the future please give all the steps you take otherwise I can give an answer that does not help you...

EDIT: I removed my other statement in this second post as this is closer to what you asked for

hold down the control key and manually draw out more points using green strokes. Attached to the start point by hovering over the start point, the curve will turn orange. Left click to close the spline.

Edited by digman

I did state in my post that I connected the two loops, I described all steps I just didn't make a screen shot of that one.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I get back to the Studio. Any idea why the first circle is created with so few control points in the first place?

Thanks again.

By the way, it's supposed to work by making only one cross cut through the circles, no need to make more than one according to the docs. You define the number of segments it created.

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry, if I misunderstood your statements...

Yes on only using one green spline to cross the circles which I had put in my posting but you can add more in some cases..

Not sure the why of less control points on the close splines the smaller the circle gets... I found no way of increasing the amount for the auto close splines but I am all ears if there is a way..

Edited by digman

Cool, and no problem! I think I was a little terse in those replies because I was using my tablet while on an exercise bike. Hard to be chatty under such conditions.  :yes:

I'm going to experiment some more and see what I come up with. If I learn anything fun I'll be sure to share. 

All the best!

Yeah, so simply dragging a circle around the eye socket on that model wasn't getting me anywhere. I could turn the point density slider way up, like 250% plus, and get a better inner circle but the auto radial segment still acted wonky. I took your suggestion and control-clicked the points for the inner circle explicitly instead of just dragging the path and it came out much better. I'm rolling now!

Many thanks again for the insights.

post-26986-0-93995300-1455923821_thumb.p