3DCoat Forums

Problem with normal map baking

Zaerah

Go to solution Solved by digman,

So the problem is that I'm unable to get some detail from highpoly to lowpoly, some pictures to demonstrate.

25747a1e2ad7664f36edbaeb2d0cdbec.png

Low and highpoly together.

b1a19b2c708c19113da44815e91fbca0.png

Shell with highpoly under it.

1a998c4e1f3e8894be934fbb71104f08.png

Result is that there is no depth, or very little on the outer cavity wall, i tried adjusting shell size and adding/removing edge loops but nothing really helped. Originally i had a small cavity in the lowpoly model to match the highpoly, but it produced pretty bad quality maps.

6089ed0bc216b326d76a2eb4b7ee61b1.png

And this is what the highpoly looks like.

Also got a second question, is there any way to get rid of this uneven edge shown below1e8d332552b1c50135c2b8267ab87fd9.png

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Since your retopo model topology is not following the curvature of the model on the flat part, It all has to be done in the normal map.

From certain view angles it will look flatter or give the illusion of depth. You have to think what view angle is this model going to be from the camera's view in your renderer or game engine. You might need to give it some more topology on the flat part. 

The waves (uneven edges) in the normal map is not the fault of 3DC.

Read this article to help understand why these waves are present in your normal map. In 3DC there are a few way to help these but is not the subject of this post.

http://polycount.com/discussion/81154/understanding-averaged-normals-and-ray-projection-who-put-waviness-in-my-normal-map 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A  angled slope in a normal map will appear better than a 90 degree slope at some angles. If you desire not to add to much topology to the model, you can add one edge ring to the top outside rim. This will help create more of a sense of depth there.

Model in attached image not shown for quality but the method. The edge ring is a little off but I just wanted to show the effect it had on the depth. Do a better job than I did... LOL

post-518-0-46898400-1456253399_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-24663000-1456253413_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1