3DCoat Forums

Sphere Tool

Jamie Norton

Go to solution Solved by Jamie Norton,

Hey guys, 

me again, I need some pros to help me out here.... I can't for the life of me work out why my sphere tool only sometimes creates rectangles (yield a result at all) other times, nothing.  I can hear the PC kick into overdrive and yet nothing happens on screen... 

screenshot attached, rectangle tool only used, but same problem occurring with circle (haven't tested the others) Uninstall (which seems drastic I know) didn't fix the problem

Ortho view: 

2016-02-25%2012_22_28-grid%20plate.3b_%2

2016-02-25%2012_23_20-grid%20plate.3b_%2

many thanks in advance guys :)

Edited by Jamie Norton

@Ballistic, this the beta Andrew S told me to use, as the standard release was too slow on my machine, I will retry the other though. @ Thank you 

@Michael - thanks bro (you rock a little yourself) but I don't think that is my problem, I am wanting to create rectangles, etc. Half my problem is that I stupidly think I am smart enough to just start using a brand new package for a commercial job, when on a deadline. :P 

Hi Jamie,

The very first thing that you should be aware of is that you reached 25 000 000 of triangles on your screenshot! You simply standing nearby going out of RAM and hanging your PC.

- RMB on the Layer, find Resample command, and reduce to at least 0.25-0.3

Secondly, if you don't draw with rectangles after that, try to change paint mode (in E-panel (stands for the shotkey)) to Brush and then back to rectangle.

But I hope the very first hint should work for you ;)

post-896-0-19062900-1456392114_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

A method I use so I can control the depth of the rectangles is below.

Ortho mode:

1. use the blob tool to create a rectangle plane... This is the base shape that the new objects are built off of.

2.use the vox layer tool to create the rectangle shape on the base object. The depth is controlled through the thickness setting in the tool panel box... You can manually type in a number past 10.00. You can create either voxel or surface mode objects.

In the attached picture all the rectangles were built off the blob rectangle plane, far back on in the attached image.

3. The vox layer tool will place each rectangle on it's own layer but they can be merge back to one easy.

The vox layer tool is not hard to learn how to use, just study the parameters in the tool's panel. Control+D will remove the spline selection area so you can start create another vox layer object...

Side Note, You are not just limited to rectangles but the spline tools, Load Shape in the E-panel and all alpha brushes.

And yes WOW! on the amount of triangles you have for simple rectangles...

EDIT: some more shapes in second image... 

All work produced in the attached images shown for the method not quality...I also moved out the objects so you could see them.

post-518-0-52624300-1456392868_thumb.png

post-518-0-14606800-1456393699_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Hi Jamie,

The very first thing that you should be aware of is that you reached 25 000 000 of triangles on your screenshot! You simply standing nearby going out of RAM and hanging your PC.

- RMB on the Layer, find Resample command, and reduce to at least 0.25-0.3

Secondly, if you don't draw with rectangles after that, try to change paint mode (in E-panel (stands for the shotkey)) to Brush and then back to rectangle.

But I hope the very first hint should work for you ;)

Hi @Daniel, yup, madness is just how I roll. that is nothing, the one I want to show you guys (but can't atm) is over 75 million tris.........

dropping the res back of all the components now.. 

Incidentally, it was still doing it on a new blank file also, but your point is unquestionably valid and my current ineptitude totally evident :)

many thanks mate 

@Digman: Thank you again for your detailed help,I will definitely try that too, thanks for taking the time to lay that approach out for me. 

Here is another lot of questions for you guys, if I may? 

What standard unit is the scale system in 3D Coat using? And how do you change the units? I see the import tool lets you set how things are scaled on importing objects, but I can't find (and I googled and searched the manual) how I set accurate dimensions ( I know you can type in values in the parameter boxes, but still not sure if my model is the right real world size) ? 

A big one for me at the moment - how to set the pose tool to select the back faces / tris / parts of a volume ? 

Seriously, thanks for the help guys, really appreciated 

Edited by Jamie Norton

• Reputable Contributor

To set measurement units is under the Geometry Menu plus setting scene scale...

Default scene scale is 1.00 which by now you might know is huge if you export a model out that was internally created in 3DC.

I match Blender's metric scale by increasing the scale in 3DC to 100.00. The higher the number the smaller the scene scale.

The default 2 meter cube from Blender will import into 3DC at the real world scale of 2 meters or If I build the model in 3DC it will import into Blender at the correct scale. I have saved a 3DC file with the above scene scale when I want to work in real world scale and units.

Also when using the measuring tool you can change the units on the fly for your scene... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little more information on the measure tool for your future use:

The measure tool is more than just a measure tool, you can snap to the guides when creating your objects. Study the measuring tool panel parameters closely, test and practice what you can do with it.

The guides will appear when using other tools if you select that feature in the tool panel. 

In the attached image. I had used the blob tool to create the shape snapping to the guides. I switched back to the measure tool to show the settings in the tool panel.

A side note to save you some frustration: Once you have created your guides and switch to another tool, the guides disappear. To fix this problem,create a new empty layer then switch to that layer and back again. The guides will reappear and now not disappear anymore. I am sure it is bug but have not reported it yet...

post-518-0-41146300-1456425088_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-53451500-1456426575_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Solution

@Digman, dude, you are awesome. The end. :) :) Wait, you can snap in 3D Coat? So pleased to hear that, I have been eyeballing everything, or entering values (whilst I love the freedom afforded by The Coat, as an industrial designer accuracy is sometimes quite helpful...)  

Thanks so much, mate :) So stoked that you guys are so helpful, makes my already exciting purchase even more so.