3DCoat Forums

Arrow in my layer panel, object disappeared?

Jamie Norton

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hey guys, anyone sick of me yet? Sorry to bug everyone, but I have a new issue : 

my objects has disappeared in my vox tree, and replaced with a right facing arrow, is it is a clipping mask or something?

pleeeeease help, trying to get this job to the client today to show that I have actually been doing something with my week :) :)

(and try not to admit I have been working through the nights to get to this point...)

All that said, I am really excited about what the future holds for what I can do when I get up to speed with this amazing program. Its sketching in 3d (or at least part of it) I have been waiting for something like that I could afford for years!

post-40083-0-49823900-1456447092_thumb.j

Edited by Jamie Norton

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

The arrow is to show you that you switched the model to proxy mode... Or in other words the model has been down sampled to a lower resolution. This feature was added some time ago.

To explain the feature : When you have say a 30 million triangle model and just desire to do some major deformation of the mesh, then using proxy mode is faster as the mesh is downsampled. You click on the proxy icon to downsample. You will not lose your high detail areas they will be remembered when returning out of proxy mode.

It is 3DC's way of having multi-resolution levels like Zbrush but atm 3DC is more limited in that aspect than Zbrush. This is not comparing software to software as each has it's own strengths...

Once you are done with your major deformation moves you click the  return arrow and the moves are applied to the higher resolution mesh. It is easy to click on the the proxy icon by mistake. I still do it sometimes when I am working fast. The proxy icon is reveled if you hover over the vox /surface layer.

The attached image shows the proxy icon, this is the one you clicked on by mistake... The return arrow comes up to let you know you are in proxy mode. Click on the arrow to return to regular sculpting mode. I do not know why your model disappeared completely. Hopefully it will return when you click on the return arrow.

For your knowledge: Under the Geometry menu is your "Proxy Method" settings plus how the proxy is cache under the Caching settings.

EDIT: by the way I put a link for a video on the measure tool at your other thread...

post-518-0-56001900-1456448185_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

The objects are still completely invisible (even with 'show hidden volumes') and my axial feature has gone to poop (only the gizmo appears and nothing gets 'axialed') but that answers that question, beautifully. (and probably the other one, in that vid you so kindly posted.) You guys seriously rock here, thanks again @Digman

• Reputable Contributor

Just beware that this feature had a buggy behaviour making parts in it deform or even disappear.

Yes, I do not completely trust this feature yet... If I was working on a production project I would most likely avoid it... Sometime the 3DC Development will have to have a good hard look at it... Right now I do not have time to do deep testing and file a bug report... :declare:

• Like 1