3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Combine Surface Materials on export?

existe

I have an .obj I imported from Modo, it has 3 surface materials applied. I get done doing painting/texturing and was curious can I combine all of these into one texture on export instead of 3?  It is only a single UV set, just would make it easier to create one material under Modo instead of 3.

Thank you

• Reputable Contributor

Did you import UDIM tiles from Modo? or as you said just one uv set between the 0 and 1 UV space...

3DC does not support uv tiling but if you choose the import setting "import tiles" in the import panel, then 3DC will import the tiles as separate uv sets but when exporting will put them back into the tiled format. 

I will assumed you imported in only one uv set between the 0 and 1 UV space.

Go to the File menu---Export Objects and Textures to export the one uv set with the separate surface materials all on one uv set.

If this is not the case please give a more detail workflow from exporting from Modo to importing into 3DC.

Edited by digman

So if I import the object with "Import Tiles as UV Sets" then I only have one surface material within 3DC.  I am trying to maintain the separate surface materials so I can easily paint texture those areas within the model.

If I do not import the object "Import Tiles as UV Sets" then I have the multiple surface materials, but on export I am trying to combine them into single maps since its only one UV set, but right now I get 3 sets of maps based on 3 surface materials for this particular model.

I will try the "seems' method Tony mentioned, although not sure what that quite means :)

Well what weird is it is one UV set already upon import but since I have surface materials it wants to export unique maps for each material.  Still exports a single object, with one UV set in 0 1 space but 3 sets of maps because it has 3 surface materials assigned.  Maybe I need to go to UDIM instead of surface materials to seperate the areas for painting and texturing and that would combine into one set of maps on export?

• Reputable Contributor

I have not seen 3DC export 3 separate normal maps and 3 separate texture maps for different surface materials but only having one uv set. 

Something is not right somewhere just not sure where...

Is it possible to make a video not using UDIM tiling as at the start of your post or post pictures of your import panel, export panel, paint objects panel and surface materials panel.

In the texture editor's drop down list for your uv set / sets how many does it show...

Side Note: If the paint objects and surface materials panels are not showing in the bottom right side of the 3DC interface, go to the Windows menu and reset this page back to default. Sometimes 3DC  loses it's brain and these two panels are not present.

Edited by digman

Ok I see what is happening now.  

Within Modo it is a single UV 0 1 space and I have 3 materials assigned

post-37534-0-38685500-1456570674_thumb.j

post-37534-0-80820600-1456570673_thumb.j

If I export it as an .OBJ file and import into 3DC it shows as 3 separate UV sets (I always thought this was just a means of bring in the materials)

post-37534-0-54591300-1456570672_thumb.j

This is what I see in Texture Editor and Surface Materials for the OBJ

post-37534-0-98004000-1456570674_thumb.j

Which explains the 3 different sets of maps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I export a .FBX with materials and import into 3DC it shows as 1 UV set

post-37534-0-76665900-1456570671_thumb.j

This is what I see in Texture Editor and Surface Materials for the FBX

post-37534-0-24737500-1456570673_thumb.j

And it exports as a single map and I still have material separation within 3DC for painting and texture isolation

So the question is, why does the OBJ import try to setup 3 different UV sets (when clearly there is only one) just because materials are assigned?  working as intended?

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for sharing the file..

Importing the file to Blender which you did already or Wings3d works as expected one uv set and 3 materials.

Importing the model into 3DC as a reference mesh and then importing the same mesh as your retopo mesh works as expected when the Preference setting "Treat retopo objects as Paint objects" is deselected... You get one uv set and 3 materials. 

Importing into the Paint room whether the above setting is selected or deselected has no effect on the importing of the model. You get 3 uv sets... I thought at one time the setting had an effect on importing into the paint room but I could be mistaken.

I will bring this to the attention of the development team. May I share this obj file with the development team.

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Combine Surface Materials on export?