3DCoat Forums

Zbrush model is really smal in 3dcoat

AllinRisks

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hi Dear 3d-coat forum!

Alright so I'm having an issue with the scale of the model being really small when I import a model from zbrush to 3dcoat.

When I take my model from zbrush (my highpoly model) to 3d coat I first decimate the model. Then I import it to for ex. manual retopo. But then the issue is that the model is really smal. When I try to scale it its only the low poly mesh that gets bigger leaving the highpoly still small. Its really tedious to work with a small model because the camera starts to go into the mesh when I turn it, and its hard to work with details!

Really love 3dcoat, and wish to get some feedback before I turn crazy

Kind regards! 

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Your workflow was not detailed enough in all the steps to give you a for sure correct answer but I will give it a try...

When importing your model into the sculpt room, use the gizmo to scale the mode to a larger size. Press yes to keep scale when asked the question after you press apply or the enter key. When exporting the model the original scale is remembered.

Notes... If you scale the model when importing in voxel mode watch the poly count in the import tool panel. This is the amount of voxels that the model will have once imported.

If importing for surface mode, again scale the model to a working size. The poly count here has no effect. Your model will be imported as is except the quads will be triangulated.

Now you are ready to create the manual retopo at a working size...

Side note... If you have an external mesh to be used as a retopo mesh, that can be imported in the retopo room and it will match the scale of the sculpt room object. This has to be done after you import the sculpt object.

Tony question is one I was curious about too. The reason for the decimation in Zbrush. 3DC is capable of millions of voxels or surface mode polygons according to how powerful your system is...

post-518-0-78215500-1457110817_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Your workflow was not detailed enough in all the steps to give you a for sure correct answer but I will give it a try...

When importing your model into the sculpt room, use the gizmo to scale the mode to a larger size. Press yes to keep scale when asked the question after you press apply or the enter key. When exporting the model the original scale is remembered.

Notes... If you scale the model when importing in voxel mode watch the poly count in the import tool panel. This is the amount of voxels that the model will have once imported.

If importing for surface mode, again scale the model to a working size. The poly count here has no effect. Your model will be imported as is except the quads will be triangulated.

Side note... If you have an external mesh to be used as a retopo mesh, that can be imported in the retopo room and it will match the scale of the sculpt room object. This has to be done after you import the sculpt object.

Tony question is one I was curious about too. The reason for the decimation in Zbrush. 3DC is capable of millions of voxels or surface mode polygons according to how powerful your system is...

Thanks for the answer will check it out later today!

Im sorry but, were can I find the gizmo?

• Reputable Contributor

In the import panel choose "To center mass" See if this does the trick for you... This normally will position the gizmo in the center mass of the object.

post-518-0-15252500-1457219800_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

In the import panel choose "To center mass" See if this does the trick for you... This normally will position the gizmo in the center mass of the object.

Thanks for the answer! 

I used to import my retopo objects by the "greeting options"-box when you first start up 3dcoat. Pressing retopo and then import reference mesh. Doing this I wont get the "import options" as you have on the image.( And when doing an autoretopo, I cant remember getting the option to scale up the model and new retopomesh.). So my questions is now, how do you get the gixmo options? What is you process when importing from zbrush to not get this issue?

Is there btw a hotkey for framing the mesh in the viewport?

• Reputable Contributor

The very reason that your first posted needed a detailed workflow as in your other postings you gave more details. Not being critical here but having a detail workflow gives you an accurate answer and I have to spend less time arriving at that answer.

In my first posted I guessed that you were importing the model into the sculpt room which is also other method for creating your retopo mesh. My answer is based off that method. You import the model into the sculpt room and then switch to the retopo room to create your low polygon retopo mesh. Also then you can bake for a normal map, displacement map or ptex based off your high detailed imported model in the sculpt room.

The import panel is located under the Objects tab (left side toolbar) in the sculpt room...

Side Note: I switch to the sculpt room and do not use the "greetings menu" for my method but that is an artist call...

Edited by digman

Shift-A

Thanks!!

The very reason that your first posted needed a detailed workflow as in your other postings you gave more details. Not being critical here but having a detail workflow gives you an accurate answer and I have to spend less time arriving at that answer.

In my first posted I guessed that you were importing the model into the sculpt room which is also other method for creating your retopo mesh. My answer is based off that method. You import the model into the sculpt room and then switch to the retopo room to create your low polygon retopo mesh. Also then you can bake for a normal map, displacement map or ptex based off your high detailed imported model in the sculpt room.

The import panel is located under the Objects tab (left side toolbar) in the sculpt room...

Side Note: I switch to the sculpt room and do not use the "greetings menu" for my method but that is an artist call...

Yeah sorry for not being detailed enough! 

Just to clarify the steps exactly:  Highpoly in Zbrush - Decimate - Export as OBJ. - Opening 3d-coat and from "greeting menu"  importing reference mesh.  Then the model is really small (hence the issue and this post)

But when using a dynamesh instead of decimated model, the reference mesh is in proper size! 

Alright thanks, I will try with the import panel while using a decimated model. But did I understand it correctly when 3dcoat exports the upscale mesh it remembers the original size? Or will it export a retopomodel that is much bigger then the highpoly?

Sorry for asking, feel like a douche but would it be ok if you wrote an exact step by step process? I did for example not quite get this part: "f you scale the model when importing in voxel mode watch the poly count in the import tool panel. This is the amount of voxels that the model will have once imported.

If importing for surface mode, again scale the model to a working size. The poly count here has no effect. Your model will be imported as is except the quads will be triangulated."

Edited by AllinRisks

• Reputable Contributor

Questions are good, they lead to understanding... :)

Yes, 3DC remembers the original scale when exporting from the sculpt room, retopo room or if you bake the retopo model to the paint room then export that model. You must as stated earlier in my other post have selected "Yes" to keeping the scale when you imported the model.

Importing as reference mesh is a method and is a feature. I prefer the other method as I can do some more detail sculpting on the model if it is needed and for baking purposes. This is a feature too.

Very busy atm but I will try to quickly clear things up.

The below is for voxel mode.

Voxels are 3D cube pixels and just like a picture it needs enough 3D pixel resolution to capture details. a 320 by 240  2D pixel image will not have the amount of clear captured details as a 2D 4000 x 3000 pixel image. The poly count is the number of voxels that are going to be created when importing.. Once imported the number is shown at the bottom of 3DC interface as the number of triangles. When importing a model into voxel mode and you scale the model, you are increasing the resolution of the model. You will need enough resolution to capture all the details... Here scaling does two things. To give enough voxel resolution to capture the details and to increase to a working size if necessary. 3DC is a deep program so I have not gone over all the way things work but this will get you going.

Just test to see how things work,you will understand quickly.

The below is for surface mode. True polygons no voxel data.

Ok, say your decimated model has 300,000 triangles, when you import the model it will have 300.000 triangles and all the detail in that is in the 300,000 triangle model will be there.

If the model was 300,000 quads, then after importing, the model would be 600,000 triangles... the quads are triangulated,.

Scaling the model here is only to have a working size model plus selecting yes to keep the original scale when importing does the same thing as voxel mode.

To import to surface mode in the import panel you select "Import without Voxelization" Shown in attached image.

Side Note: Once you press enter and select yes, you will still have the virtual representation of the model, simply click on a brush and the virtual representation will disappear leaving the imported model visible.

To center mass in the attached image was answering a question for another user.

post-518-0-60011800-1457304304_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

HUUGE thanks Digman! I went straight to sculpt room then Import (the sphere and Square icon) then got the "tool options" selected my mesh and after I scaled it I got the "press yes to remember original scale thing" :) Huuge thanks again digman, and thanks for the explanation really really kind of you to take your time writing!!

Thanks all the way from Sweden to Texas ;)