3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Hi, Guys. I'm experiencing some problems here on my workflow. I have a model separeted in various objects. Each one have its proper UVs and everything is on place, no UDIM (despite using UDIM would be good. But when I do import with Importing Titles as UV Sets all my UVs are stacked on each other). 

When I import OBJ file to PPP workflow, 3D Coat shows this screen.

BMJ8212.pngT

The problem is: I have 12 objects with UVs but it only shows 6 UV sets on the importing options. 

When I click OK, suddenly 3D Coat shows 6 UV sets and 6 surface materials (of 12 objects) and the result is some UVs stacked on each other, also my UV names are not the same as I created, as you can see on the image:

uyEUC1R.png

When I try to import a FBX file instead of a OBJ file, it shows ALL of my UVs on the importing screen and PRESERVING the UVS names, which is really good.

kBbYmOp.png

However, the problem with FBX importing is this. While all my UVs are absolutely perfect, the model itself isn't as you can see on the image.

qzn03F3.png

If I try to subdivide de model on importing screen, the result is: 

TBKql9t.png

Some additional info:

Tested with 3D Coat 4.5.19 (trough Steam) and 4.5.29. 

UVs are created on MODO 902.

Thanks in advance. 

• Reputable Contributor

I hope this helps some... When importing as tiles, yes the uv's are stacked on each other in the uv room but internally 3DC keeps them separated. It has no effect on painting or exporting.

When exporting the model from 3DC select export as tiles then the uv sets will be put back in the UDIM format.

Now, if you plan on editing the uv sets, then importing as tiles will not be the method to use as they are stacked on each other in the uv room. 

I am not sure why the FBX model is not importing correctly, Maybe a FBX version difference... Since I do not have the model to test, I am only guessing.

You could send the model to the development team if it is not under a NDA agreement or share it privately with a 3DC user to test...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I hope this helps some... When importing as tiles, yes the uv's are stacked on each other in the uv room but internally 3DC keeps them separated. It has no effect on painting or exporting.

When exporting the model from 3DC select export as tiles then the uv sets will be put back in the UDIM format.

Now, if you plan on editing the uv sets, then importing as tiles will not be the method to use as they are stacked on each other in the uv room. 

I am not sure why the FBX model is not importing correctly, Maybe a FBX version difference... Since I do not have the model to test, I am only guessing.

You could send the model to the development team if it is not under a NDA agreement or share it privately with a 3DC user to test...

So how can I paint on different objects if my UVs are stacked? When I paint on some part of my model, the painting is passing to another object. 

Also, is it normal that by importing an OBJ 3D Coat mess with UV names and its numbers? I mean... I have 12 UVs and only sees 6. 

• Reputable Contributor

Could you create a simple model or have one you can share from Modo that is using the UDIM workflow. 

I would like to test before commenting if there is a possible bug in the feature or not. I do not have a program capable of creating a udim tile structure. 

Plus Andrew does read this post and maybe he will comment or maybe Javis will comment

EDIT: I watched a 3 year old uv tiles video... Back then the tiles were separate and not stacked on each other in the uv room. I know over a year ago, I noticed they would be stacked.. I thought it was a change in how the importing worked as no other users has commented on the uv tiles except to say they could not edit them in the uv room.

I asked to receive UDIM models, ones that could be shared from users to test to keep a track of the importing as 3DC is updated but so far I have not received any models.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

A friend made me a UDIM model from 3DMax manually and it imported correctly with the tiles uv sets separated and not stacked...

It does not see multiple materials per tile... 3DC appears to create one material per uv tile...

My first information I gave you therefore was incorrect...

I do not why your UDIM model did not import corrected.

I am working to figure all this out correctly, so future posting by me will be correct... Please test the teapot in  your 3DC and Modo..

Teapot_3UV-Tiles.zip

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

The reason for all my postings is I desire to solve this problem once and for all... 

Here is a screen grab from Wings3D that really only supports 1 uv set between 0 and 1 but it does show the other tiles outside of 0 and 1 in the model I uploaded here in the post.

I also know that creating a udim in 3dmax might not be the same as it is natively supported in Modo but if I just sit on the sidelines then I will not know where I am wrong or right...  :)

post-518-0-06175100-1457143290_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

@digman, thank you so much for you time trying to solve this. :)

I have tested the teapot model and everything worked out just fine. 

So what I did:

I exported an OBJ file with diferents UDIM spaces. 

For example, the jacket of my character is on UDIM 1001 and 1002 on its own UV. If I place character's face on 1001 and 1002 spaces on its own UV as well, then 3D Coat overlaps each other. 

So I put the face on 1003 and 1004 UDIM spaces to make it work properly. 

However, this doesn't seems like a normal behavior (or am I wrong?). Even this way the UV names are broken. Actually, they don't have their names but the UDIM numbers. So I have to identify everything by numbers and then manually rename it. But this only works on the surface materials list. On the Texture Editor window only the UDIM numbers are shown. 

• Reputable Contributor

It would not seem like normal behavior on the placement of UDIM spaces but 3DC's conversion way of importing and handling of UDIM tile sets who knows... We all would like to see UDIM natively supported by 3DC but as of yet, no. It has been requested for quite some time and so it must mean some major deep re-coding of the 3DC to handle them or I think it would have been added by now. That is my quess anyway.

In doing the conversion from UDIM to UV sets, 3DC does appear to ignore the naming convention of the UDIM file for the tiled uv sets and materials creating it's own. A limitation I would think, not so much a bug... but that again is a guess or I hope an educated guess. Your call if the this workflow is not too much work since now you can import into 3DC and not have stacked uv sets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Also, is it normal that by importing an OBJ 3D Coat mess with UV names and its numbers? I mean... I have 12 UVs and only sees 6." 

This question, I am looking into as Carlosan plus others have similar questions.

The FBX import problem I would like to figure out. Could you create a simple Modo FBX model that has the same problem and share the file...

The FBX models exported from Blender 2.76 import into 3DC with no visible artifacts.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I believe I figured out the FBX import problem. Maybe Modo isn't exporting Smoothing Groups or if it does 3D Coat doesn't recognize it. So to solve the issue, just need to click on Auto Smoothing Groups on the importing window and set a proper value. 180 works for me. 

The OBJ UV changing its quantity and names still bugs me though.