3DCoat Forums

Repair Scuplted Mesh

Kali3D

Go to solution Solved by Kali3D,

Hi everyone,

Im just testing out 3D Coat but Im having some Problems so far.

Ive sculpted a Rock in Voxel and converted to Surface Mode to add Details with Alphas. However the alphas Produced some holes and strange streched Polys inside The Object, although applied with very low strength. I was trying to repair the mesh with Mesh Doctor and the Fill Holes Tool but it gave me an even worse Mesh.

Sometimes When I undo a aplha that produces bad results it detroys the mesh completly as well and I need to Load a backup file and the unsaved progress is lost :(

Am I missing something here or doing it the wrong way?

File (4m polys, 200mb): https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3dq4m03ids1oml/Rock_DamagedMesh.3b?dl=0

Best regards,

Steffen

• Advanced Member

Hey,

Haven't checked your file, but one thing to keep an eye on is scaling things non-uniformly, as this will "stretch" the underlying topology, and can really screw you over if you keep working on it. You should see some red text at the bottom of the 3dc window that says "Non Uniform" whenever this is the case. To fix this and restore a nice uniform topology across the mesh, simply right click on the affected layer and choose "To Global Space"

• Reputable Contributor

Hi everyone,

Im just testing out 3D Coat but Im having some Problems so far.

Ive sculpted a Rock in Voxel and converted to Surface Mode to add Details with Alphas. However the alphas Produced some holes and strange streched Polys inside The Object, although applied with very low strength. I was trying to repair the mesh with Mesh Doctor and the Fill Holes Tool but it gave me an even worse Mesh.

Sometimes When I undo a aplha that produces bad results it detroys the mesh completly as well and I need to Load a backup file and the unsaved progress is lost :(

Am I missing something here or doing it the wrong way?

File (4m polys, 200mb): https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3dq4m03ids1oml/Rock_DamagedMesh.3b?dl=0

Best regards,

Steffen

In addition to what was previously mentioned, make sure to install the 4.5.31 build. Raul, who developed LiveClay, supposedly fixed a mesh explosion bug. It seems to be related to UNDO. I recorded about 20 min to try and reproduce the problem, which was similar to your situation, and Raul said the fix should be added in the next build. 4.5.31 was just released today, so hopefully that fixes the issue. Whenever you notice holes, use the Close Holes tool, in Surface Mode. It usually does a really good job of closing them and keeping the surface tangency..

Thanks for your replies!

The Scale says Uniform and the topology looks good except for the Holes. 

I tried it with the 4.5.31 build but it doesnt solve the problem. 

It does not seem like a simple Hole but rather some messed up geometry sticking inside the mesh. Some images to illustrate the problem:

The Hole:

post-40250-0-89009900-1458296553_thumb.j

Fix with fill holes tool:

post-40250-0-63483100-1458296555_thumb.j

Fix with Resample:

post-40250-0-06681800-1458296557_thumb.j

I could Repair this Mesh in an externel Apllication, but is there a way to fix this in 3D coat? 

Maybe it was the fixed bug you mentioned that produced this and this wont happen in newer versions. I hope so. 

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

2018, and some users (like me) still have a problem with the disappearance of 90% of the mesh when something is canceled, periodically. Whether it's boolean operations or something else. Will it ever be fixed at all? I come across this in ALL versions of the program that I use for a year, and this happens in voxels, and in surfaces.