3DCoat Forums

Rollerskating Madness Chihuahua

PixelDust

One of my favorite games on Whose Line Is It Anyway? is the Superheroes game. I was trying out the Silly Superhero Name generator over at Seventh Sanctum to get some ideas, and one of the suggestions was "Rollerskating Madness Chihuahua". Here's what I've got so far.

I used the basic male mesh from the start screen as a base mesh and extracted the skates and shorts. I used the curves tool with a custom spline model for the laces. I plan on sculpting the shirt next, and eventually bringing it into Modo for the final render. These renders are from 3D-Coat.

I've learned quite a bit in the process, like how to control and adjust the curves tool and using the Pose Tool. I love how easily you can pose multiple mesh layers in 3D-Coat!

Comments and crits welcome.

post-3107-0-94896700-1458501259_thumb.pn

post-3107-0-67212400-1458501275_thumb.pn

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I'm still working on it. The sculpting is pretty much done, and I'm working on retopo. The file was getting really large, so I've been splitting up the parts into different 3b files and using Autopo, then exporting the retopo meshes and high-res meshes into Modo 10.0v1 for UVs and baking. So far, it's been working pretty well, except I did struggle with the skate boots. I had made them thin-walled objects, which caused problems with the Autopo routine. So I had to go to an earlier version of the body model, make a layer with just the feet, and combine the feet with the skate boots so there would be a "solid" mesh for Autopo to work with. I also had to make a decimated version of the meshes because 3DC would run out of memory during Autopo.

Also, I learned having the laces as separate meshes wouldn't work with Autopo or bake well in either 3DC or Modo, so I had to sculpt the laces onto the boot, which worked much better.

Here's a Modo render of what I've finished so far.

post-3107-0-18151800-1460943382_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

Hi - sorry I've been lax about the updates, but I have been working on it, and it's about done! I reshaped the head to make it look more like a chihuahua, and added a shirt, teeth, did some painting, and added hair in Modo. I'll add some bows to the skate laces, and maybe add a dog collar. I'll also add a wood floor later. Hope you like it!

RSC_03.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I finally finished it! I added the fur in Modo (which took me a while to figure out the grooming and shading process) , and built the rink. Then I added an off-screen disco ball (a beveled sphere with a reflective material) and shone some colored lights at it to cast the dots you see here. The image took almost four hours to render in Modo.

Chihuahua Final 02.png

• Like 3

• 8 months later...