3DCoat Forums

Voxels to Polygons

Zickar

Hi

I want to learn 3D coat but I seem to be still lost in the concept behind voxels , I drew a primitive and cutoff some shapes in it but I want to see the topology of my model and retopologize it properly .. how do I do that ? Is there a way to exit the voxel mode and enter into a regular look mode where I can manipulate points and polygins ? So basically should I commit the voxels in anyway ?

Thanks in advance for your reply and hope my question was clear

• Contributor

When your sculpt is finished it ready for giving it a topology. There is autopo to let 3DC create the polygons or you can do it manually (recommended for animation) in "Retopo". When you are done, it's baked to the Paint room.

You don't manipulate points in Sculpt. Surface mode (click the "V" to change to Surface mode) has more tools for sculpting but at no point will you be manipulating points.

Thanks for the reply , works great but how can I then move that AUTOPO version once it's done to a new sub-object in the vox tree ? because right now it only seems to exist in the retopo objects panel

Could you tell us what is your GOAL? What do you want to do, produce, etc..?

That will help us to suggest you the proper/better workflow. Maybe (almost sure) you don't need to retopologize your model in order to put it back to Vox-tree...

• Advanced Member

Yes, 3Dcoat isn't a modeller, you don't work with individual vertices or polygons. 

If you want to reduce the density of your sculpt, you need to resample your object in the sculpt room. If you want to work with the polygons in some way (such as the retopologised model), you need to export this into some polygonal modelling software

• Contributor

Yes, in doing things like the fold of skin over an eye, for instance, I will model the folds 'open' so I can reach them with manual retopo and then move the vertices/edges down over the upper lid in C4D. I then return them to 3DC to paint in their natural shape.