3DCoat Forums

voxel sculpt

nikrogers

Ive used Z brush and so I know modellers crash , but the question is always why. Using curves in 3dcoat looks easy in tutorials but my system , which is quite big wont go there. Is there a setting in prefs or something that keeps down file size , my system is overloading before Ive even built anything . Ive got windows 7.... 6 gbs of ram.... 6 core phenom and use DX not GL as GL shut it down. Any info welcome Im still on trial and so far can only use paint .

• Advanced Member

Is it crashing on the creation of them? As in after you apply your curves will it freeze and crash? If so, you could be bringing them in much too large. The voxels room is very scale dependant. If you imagine voxels as literally being little 1x1 cubes, the bigger a volume is, the more voxels it would take to fill it. So there's a chance you might be working at too high a scale and are trying to drop in billions of triangles.

Or, something else entirely. A bit more info would help.

• Reputable Contributor

When you are working with Voxels, you have to bee aware of scale and having too much resolution. If you click on the V icon on the left side of your Voxel layer, it will switch to an S. That means the layer is now in SURFACE mode (Geometry only...no voxels). That is less taxing on your system. Voxels are really good in some situations....like merging layers/objects together and many boolean operations, but for the most part, I would suggest trying to stay in Surface mode for most of your work. Especially since you only have 6GB, which is on the small side, when working with voxels.

Windows without any programs running will use about 3GB+. That leaves you with only 3GB to work with, and when you get within 1GB or so, to your maximum RAM limit, Windows will start writing to a swap file....and that bogs things down. So, yeah....stay in Surface mode if you can. This video explains some do's and don'ts when working with both modes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Id like to thank you for your reply and it seems I am past that stage . I am now at the stage where I have duplacate layers in sculpt and however I delete these I always end up with the ones that are not visible , this means that the model I export is never the one that I import . I will try to explain , as I cannot navigate I create new layer for new parts of the sculpt , but they are duplicating voxels I think, switching them off and on to see where I am is no good as I never get a true picture . I then retopo and only a part of the mesh is retopoed, the mesh is not merged down because merge does not work, or at least I dont know how to make it work. Now I import and Ive got half a mesh with a uv . So if you can work that out , maybe you can tell me how to do some of it , like merge layers for a complete retopo , or how to see what I am actually exporting , as some of it may be visible to me but not to the programme . I feel I am making some progress , but it aint easy.   thanks nick