3DCoat Forums

new user, voxel mode crashing

lafrance

Hi All, new user, Brian LaFrance, here. I started a few days ago with the trial version. I'm loving what I'm seeing in tutorials, but, my own luck, particularly in voxel sculpt mode,

has been not so great. As soon as I try to commit a primitive, it disappears, and the program becomes unstable. Pretty sure this has something to do with versions/display drivers,/etc.

running on  laptop right now with 16 gigs ram, but a puny Nvid GeForce GT 520M with .5 gig vid ram. Any advice appreciated. (did a quick search, as I'm sure i'm not the

first with this problem.. but didn't come up with any relevant topics)

thanks much

Brian

• Advanced Member

Are you scaling the primitive at all? Since you're dealing with voxels, bigger = more voxels.

One thing you could also try, is to drop a primitive in as a surface object  To do this, click the "V" icon on your layer so it changes to an S, and then use the primitives tool to create something. If this works, you could then hit the S again once the layer has an object in it, and it will convert to Voxels.

Mind you, this doesn't explain why you can't create a primitive in voxel mode, but it would be interesting to see if you can "trick" 3dc here.

ok, had a chance to dig more. looks like the directx- non-cuda version works fine. interesting, as my card is cuda enabled. Oh, was wrong, I have 4 gigs vram. ;)

still, I have a new system on the way with 2 gtx 980 cards, would be good to know the cuda support works. guess I'll find out when it arrives.