3DCoat Forums

So yeah.... what about those pixelly corners?

Seven Are They

First of all...... this is just a dream comming true software for me....... its just fantastic..... but yeah..... those really not nice corners...

I really hope this is not the way it is supposed to be?

What can one do about this?

Thanks for your ummmm .... suggestions

Cheers,

Peter

post-40313-0-43885100-1459608075_thumb.p

post-40313-0-89335100-1459608179_thumb.p

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So yeah, I am mindblowed by how are all these guys are able to produce such fine looking imagery, when my corners are so incredibly pixely?

Thing is, the brushes are/look pixely themselves.... so raising res+ does not make a difference....

I really hope this is not the way things are meant to look in 3D Coat...

Hopefully someone will give me some hope :) and shed some light on this..

Cheers,

P

post-40313-0-37573700-1462471755_thumb.p

post-40313-0-20623700-1462474963_thumb.p

Edited by Seven Are They

• Reputable Contributor

I've read elsewhere on the forums that this is a major bug, and that the alphas for the brushes are using the preview res rather than the full res of the image.

I got with Andrew on this, and I don't know what he did to address it, but it is much better now. The brush preview still seems degraded, but 3D Coat does use the full resolution of the brush alpha, now. You still have to give the mesh enough resolution to remove jagged edges....no different than in Photoshop. Low DPI or image size = pixelation. I tried to demonstrate the problem to Andrew again, a month or two ago, and could no longer produce it.

Still, using primitives provides the best quality and is more efficient.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

How high do you guys generally go? Anything about 2 mil is really unworkable for me.....

You want to use the Dynamic Subdivision tools in Surface mode to isolate the areas where you need extreme levels of subdivision, while the rest of the model remains a more manageable level. Use the LiveClay brush with the DEPTH value at 0 to brush an area with a higher degree of polygonal density, then you can use something else to create sharp edges or high detail.

• Reputable Contributor

I can usually do a few (3 - 4) million with voxels, but any more than that and it's time to start converting over to surface mode. Which is handy since my usual pipeline is voxels for base sculpting and then surface for details.

It really depends a great deal on the hardware one has at their disposal. I'm still using a 5+yr old i7 970 (6core/12 threads), 32 GB and a GTX Titan, and you can reach some ridiculous amounts of voxels/polygons. The High-end/enthusiast CPU market has really stagnated the past 4-5yrs since AMD really hasn't even attempted to compete with Intel. So, you really don't even need an expensive CPU to get great performance in 3D Coat. Maybe just 32GB RAM and a decent GPU

When AMD finally comes out with their Zen CPU line, then the competition should pick back up, and things could get pretty interesting for 3D Coat users, as it is heavily multi-threaded.