3DCoat Forums

What is the best way to start in Voxel Sculpting then send the model to Surface Sculpting

untn

Hi my friends I have a question about the (Voxel to Surface Sculpting pipeline) my pipeline would be like be this.

I would import concept then start sculpting in Voxel mode, after finishing I export to obj, then import to Surface Sculpting. I like the Voxel Sculpting Feature it gives freedom without the need to re sample the mesh each time polygons get stretched. But the details of the model couldn't be sculpted in this mode easy because it requires more system resources so what I do is start in Voxel and export to obj then import to Surface Sculpting .

My question is: Am I doing it right? or there is a feature to export between rooms in 3dCoat?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Contributor

I'm puzzled as to why bother with "export to obj" when you can go directly from Voxel mode to Surface mode by clicking the "V" to get to "S" in the vox tree. Voxel mode is useful for, as you say, "freedom" from stretching ( it can go from "Uniform" to Non-Uniform requiring a right-click to the Voxtree volume to get at  To Uniform or Global Space). Any boolean operations are simple with voxels but problematic in Surface mode.

• Advanced Member
I'm puzzled as to why bother with "export to obj" when you can go directly from Voxel mode to Surface mode by clicking the "V" to get to "S" in the vox tree.

My guess is that he was not aware of this. It's not an obvious feature even for someone looking for it.

My guess is that he was not aware of this. It's not an obvious feature even for someone looking for it.

pardon me but I am learning 3D Coat and wasn't aware of this feature, however what happens when I press V is the model vanishes am I doing something wrong in here? any help?

pardon me but I am learning 3D Coat and wasn't aware of this feature, however what happens when I press V is the model vanishes am I doing something wrong in here? any help?

I have got it, it's the "S" and "V" options in the VoxTree Panel on the lower right corner. it's that easy to swtitch between Voxel and Surface! fast and amazing however I pressed Shift+v I think that hidden the model. 

• Advanced Member

It is that easy. One thing to watch out for, if you do a lot of switching between surface and voxel and have limited resources, is that it can slowly push up your voxel resolution and the e.g. '8' will become '9' and then '10', etc, I imagine to account for the extra detail added in surface mode. It isn't an issue in my experience, but it would depend on your kit's setup.

• Advanced Member
I imagine to account for the extra detail added in surface mode

When you switch back to voxels from surface you should see a window pop up asking you for a required voxel poly count, you can enter a value here before hitting Ok. It does indeed want to keep adding poly's but I imagine this is due to the the way voxels work Vs surface mode. In voxels, 3d coat needs to account for the entire volume of the object, not just the surface, whereas surface mode only accounts for the surface.

Lastly, you shouldn't really be constantly switching back and forth between the 2. Typically, you'd start with voxels and get your base shape down, then move onto surface mode for detailing.