3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Why does this transparency appear when painting depth?

PixelDust

Go to solution Solved by PixelDust,

Nope - I was using one of the Hair brush alphas. And it's happening in the paint room on a retopo mesh that I baked a microvertex displacement map on. I added a layer above the one that had the displacement map on it, and was painting with a brush that had both color and depth channels turned on.

I wonder if the problem is that I have a displacement map, and when I paint more depth, it is adding up to more than 100% depth. Is that a bad thing to do in 3D-Coat?

Edited by PixelDust

Thanks Carlosan, but I wasn't painting in layer 0. I was painting in another layer above that (see screenshot) You can see it's leaving some transparency even though I'm not on layer 0.

If I bump it up to higher (like 37%) the checkered effect is even more evident. (see second screenshot).

post-3107-0-18685100-1459729563_thumb.jp

post-3107-0-14028500-1459729698_thumb.jp

Edited by PixelDust

I'd wager that you have painted on Layer 0 at some stage without realising it..

Thanks, but I don't think that's the issue. I just tried it on a fresh project, and the same thing happened. I'm sure I didn't paint on layer 0. The checkerboard seems to appear at the edges of strokes, or where the depth is the lowest.

I also noticed that if I have the smart material window open, I don't see the depth problem in the SM window, but I do see it in the viewport. (See screenshot).

I also exported my maps to Modo and there are no transparent spots in my textures, so there isn't any actual transparency as far as I can tell.

This makes me suspect this is just the way it shows up in the viewport and not an actual problem with the texture.

BTW, I'm using an NVidia GTX 970 with the latest driver (364.72) on Windows 10 64-bit, and I'm using 3D-Coat 4.5.33 DX-CUDA.

EDIT:  I also attached the render from Modo. I can't see any problem there. So, I'm guessing it's a display issue only.

post-3107-0-25009900-1459903119_thumb.jp

post-3107-0-64869000-1459904487_thumb.jp

Edited by PixelDust