3DCoat Forums

Boat wakes and splashes ...

marco

Hello ...

I am new to 3d-coat, but I have been using Vue Infinite for a while.

I assume most people know that the Vue 3d landscaping program exists, if not, take a look here ...

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_2015_infinite/

The program has a road spline tool that allows you to draw roads on a land surface, but unfortunately, there is no similar tool to draw boat wakes and splashes on the water.

There are expensive commercial Flow programs and plugins that can simulate wakes and splashes for animations. And there is of course the good old, free and open source, Blender, capable of ocean and fluid animations.

I have been trying to figure this out in Blender for a while, but I only want to deal with still images. It's quite a learning curve, and you need a lot of computer power, to get some results with flow animations.

My question for those who have been working with voxels (for more than a couple of days) ... do you think it's possible to sculpt boat wakes, splashes and wave sprays, for a single image render?

Sculpting the waves is seemingly well possible, ... but making splashes by painting voxel particles in the air with a brush, can that be done ???

Thanks a lot for your idea's.

Edited by marco

• Contributor

There was an artist who did a series of ww2 navy ships with much of what you are wanting but a search of gallery images did not show his work, Maybe someone on the forum knows his name but the forum page where his work was shown is long gone.

• Contributor

Tony I think you are referring to the concept artist Jama Jurabaev. He made some boat and waves images in this thread here:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17336&page=3#entry122496

Maybe some of the water was made by using Noise on a brush in 3D-Coat, but I think most of it was painted onto the images afterwards with Photoshop (after modeling and rendering the 3D scene with 3D-Coat). Using Photoshop to do a "paint-over" at the end is probably the easiest way to create those kinds of still images of water sprays. Of course masking could also be used to create a splash shape on a surface in 3D-Coat, which could then be used to extrude that 3D shape from a surface, but a 2D paint-over in Photoshop is even easier than doing any of that.

Here is a tutorial video featuring Jama Jurabaev showing his techniques for painting over images of 3D models:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPQsYoJ8NG8

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

The splashes look like geometry spaced along zbrush curve brushes which then are distorted and sculpted. Often times in zbrush polygonal geometry can be smashed and distorted and then dynameshed to form droplets.

You could do the same thing in 3DCoat with splash/droplet geometry spaced along splines and then distorted. You can also create little random sculpted drops and use merge on pen to place these over proxy shapes and merge together for further tweaking.

Particle systems are fine for water but not so much when you need fast control for illustrative purposes . To design your water you could use b/w fractal patterns in terrain editors such as Bryce or Vue or apply b/w images as masks in 3DCoat for extruding and further sculpting. These fractal noise patterns can be used as the basis for your water with further image editing and over painting to control heights and effects where required around your boat or object.

• Like 1

• Contributor

@TimmyZDesign

The 3dc forum thread you linked just takes me to the forum index??

Sorry about that! Linking doesn't seem to work properly in the Tapatalk forum app.

Try this link instead:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17336&p=122496