3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Import as FBX file crashes 3D coat

rooattack

Go to solution Solved by Gary Dave,

I got Maya to work! The last guy who did our modeling could not figure it out, but this new animator got it done in just an hour. Wow, it is so refreshing to be working with knowledgable people. Attached is the output from Painter vs Maya. They look nearly identical except the environment is rotated different so the lighting is a bit off. :)

I am on a mission to master retopo. I know how valuable it is, but I still always find myself having to do it manually. I watch videos of people doing it that make it look so easy. I also attached the way I have done my strokes for a model. Maybe I am doing that wrong (obviously I am, just dont know why). How do you treat curves that vary so much? 

I attached the actual 3D coat file too, if anyone feels bored enough to take a look at how they would stroke it. I really don't expect anyone to spend the time doing this. But feel free :)

post-40222-0-20539100-1460305980_thumb.p

post-40222-0-05139300-1460305982_thumb.j

post-40222-0-23832400-1460306094_thumb.p

3D coat file.zip

Add camera shorcuts in Perspective mode

At render room, If you check Render Frame Sequence, it should render your turntable instead of an image if you hit Render button.

or to use Render Animation:

possibility to render blended states between several saved scenes.

In so way short animated illustrations may be easily rendered.

Thats such a great idea! I forgot about saving camera shortcuts! Only issue is, I don't understand how to actually import textures onto your model. By this, I mean, importing multiple normal maps that relate to 'arm, head, feet, legs'. They all have their own normal maps and baseColor so I would somehow need to mask off these textures to apply to only those objects

Edited by rooattack

Honestly, if you were happy with just chucking out obj's straight from the sculpt room, you can definitely skip the strokes-as-guides bit of the autoretopo. Did you know that you can just click "next" or whatever the button is, without laying down strokes? Same goes for when it asks you to paint areas of priority, you can just skip that too. The main thing I think you want to watch out for it just your desired polycount. Let 3dc take care of the rest.

I have come to a final workflow, maybe. However, it requires merging everything together which concludes a different look than i really desire. And also doesn't really keep my raw high poly look.

I'm going to merge all of my objects into a single object. Use 'Instant Meshes' to retopo it by simply clicking a button > import that back into 3DC and manually uv map it by selecting the clean polygons. Then bake a much higher poly version of that onto the retopo model. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is how to mask out sections of the high poly version without doing a retopo to it.

Edited by rooattack

• Advanced Member

If you believe you actually need to use the strokes for the auto retopo (again, you can just skip it if you want), then I recommend watching these videos:

They're pretty long winded, but probably worth it. Right out the gate though, I like how in your image the pop-up menu says "Don't cross strokes", and yet you cross all of them! The strokes for auto-retopo are just guides for meshflow, you wouldn't use them in the same way you'd use strokes to manually retopo.

Haha I know it says

If you believe you actually need to use the strokes for the auto retopo (again, you can just skip it if you want), then I recommend watching these videos:

They're pretty long winded, but probably worth it. Right out the gate though, I like how in your image the pop-up menu says "Don't cross strokes", and yet you cross all of them! The strokes for auto-retopo are just guides for meshflow, you wouldn't use them in the same way you'd use strokes to manually retopo.

Haha I know it says not to cross strokes. But I also found a video by the guy who does all of those videos, crossing all of his strokes and he got the most clean retopo doing it. However, that may have been a manual retopo he was showing. So I actually tried it without doing that first. If I don't use any strokes at all, I never get any polygons. And of I do, they're always totally out of wack. I am watching those videos right now :) thank you!