3DCoat Forums

Weird black, unpaintable UV

MaxHancock

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

OK, I now have 4.5.23 installed. I can't test if the weird black polygon uv is gone because I didn't save. I'm guessing it's because I updated the UV post painting, and applied it again. I've never tried it before but I do remember a tutorial telling me to never do that or I'll get problems like these. :/ 

I have a new problem on a similar model. I'm trying to paint on the front side of a model but when I do 3Dc paint's on the back instead. This started happing in the middle of my project.  Still happens after updating to 4.5.23. 

Painting on front:

ScreenShot20160408at8_03_27AM-vi.png

3DC actually paints on back instead: 

ScreenShot20160408at8_03_47AM-vi.png

Here is my 3DC file, if you want to have a look yourself. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4zducmb8l7xwpb/Window-3DC.zip?dl=0

OK, I had a look, and ignore backface is already checked (on) and I'm still having the problem. When I uncheck, it paints on both sides of the object. I check it again and I get the same problem where when I paint on the front it actually paints on the back. 

Edited by MaxHancock

• Advanced Member

Yeah, pretty weird. But it might be due to the fact that your mesh is so thin, so 3dc is being a bit silly. I'm not sure though.

Also, sorry I've only just noticed that your issue isn't that it's painting on both sides, but rather it's painting on the wrong side. That is super weird.

• Contributor

I inspected your file and I think that the problem is that surface normal vectors are facing different directions. Only the normals of sideframe2, glass1 and latch2 seem to be facing the correct way. Fix your normals and you should have no more problems with texturing.

---

This model could easily be reduced from ~300,000 faces to something with just just three digits.

Pozdrówka. :)

Edited by ajz3d

I inspected your file and I think that the problem is that surface normal vectors are facing different directions. Only the normals of sideframe2, glass1 and latch2 seem to be facing the correct way. Fix your normals and you should have no more problems with texturing.

---

This model could easily be reduced from ~300,000 faces to something with just just three digits.

Pozdrówka. :)

Yes, I think you are right. It was a purchased model, and if I had made it it would have been much less polygons. 3DC doesn't even let me manually create a seam because the edges are too close or something, so there was only one way to UV it, auto-map. Is there a way to change the direction of a mesh's normal in 3DC?

I found out that what was causing the black polygon on the other model, it was an extra polygon, non-plainer on top in the same place, So I was able to fix that part. 

Thanks! 

• Contributor

To change normal direction of a selection you need to take the model to retopo room. Inside it, when you choose the "Select" tool, you will have a new set of commands available with flip normals being amongst them.

However, I imagine that selecting specific faces of a mesh so dense can be difficult, so what I suggest is to import your object to sculpt room and then quickly retopologize it and create new UVs. Finally, bake the normal map and begin texturing.

• Solution

To see the hidden faces because normals you can use

View > Backface Culling = off

Its purpose is to detect polygons that are invisible in a particular scene – that is, polygons that face away from the viewer.

only the left windows have the normals ok

And the model have custom vector normals data

post-10142-0-66137300-1460237924_thumb.j

was exported from 3DMAX with MeshSmooth Modifier = on ?

Hope this help

slidingwindow2.zip

Looking at the original model I can see there was a problem that I couldn't see before.   

With backface culling on, I can see through the object, and that shouldn't be the case. 

ScreenShot20160409at5_58_05PM-vi.png

ScreenShot20160409at5_59_14PM-vi.png

The model you uploaded looks correct. I'm guessing you flipped the normals in a different program?  I imported it and auto-mapped it. And with Backface Culling on, it appears as it should, and I can paint on it.

ScreenShot20160409at6_05_55PM-vi.png

So, that solves that! Thank you!