3DCoat Forums

UV islands need to appear backwards to be right.

MaxHancock

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

As I was UV mapping a model yesterday I assumed that the Complex Checker orientation needed to be readable to be correct, but that doesn't seem to be right at all.  

Here all of the islands are rotated and flipped so that I can read the complex texture (I assumed that's how it's supposed to work):

ScreenShot20160411at11_09_28AM-vi.png

But the result had the opposite effect. I could paint and it would appear as I expected, but on the UV map, everything was backwards–flipped and rotated in the wrong direction:

ScreenShot20160411at11_14_02AM-vi.png

Starting over, I rotated all the islands so that they were upside down. (didn't need to flip anything, they were all already backwards):

ScreenShot20160411at10_58_00AM-vi.png

The end result shows that the painting is in the right orientation:  

ScreenShot20160411at11_03_57AM-vi.png

Is it supposed to be that way? Am I always to assume now that my UVs need to be backwards to be correct? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?  I'm using version 4.5.23C. 

Thanks! 

• Contributor
  • Solution

It's a known glitch. Complex checker is horizontally (and probably also vertically) flipped in the viewport (http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2048).

As a workaround, open the checker2.tga file from C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V4.5\textures (or whatever your installation directory is), flip it and save a copy to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\3D-CoatV45\textures\ under the same name.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...