3DCoat Forums

settings needed to improve performance

chr1

I experience frequent pauses while sculpting in the sculpt room. 3d-Coat will simply stall for 5-10 seconds, and then I can resume my work. I would like to know if anyone has advice on what settings I can change in order to minimize these delays. Does it make any difference if I am running the OpenGL or the DirectX version of the program?

I am running WIndows 10 with a 4-core, 3.07 GHz processor and 25 GB RAM. Quadro 4000.Graphics card.

I hope I have been clear and that this is the correct place to post this question. Thanks!

Hi !

For Quadro  OpenGL is better

Are you using the last beta version ?

Thanks! I have been using DirectX. I will switch.

I am using 4.5.33, but I will update if it will make a difference.

Are there other settings that might help as well?

Maybe the video cart is the culprit here? If I'm not mistaken, It's pretty old and dates back to 2010 or even earlier years.

Thanks for your response... Alas, I can't do anything about the card right now, but will make sure to upgrade at my earliest opportunity. With a given system are there any settings changes that might help, or is new hardware the only hope? 

• Contributor

There is of course a limit to how many polygons you can have in the viewport at any one time. If you have too many, 3D-Coat will slow down.

It is still possible to make highly detailed models, but there are several tricks you need to use in order to keep things moving quickly in the viewport.

Try testing the limits of your system by starting out with low poly models and then gradually add more and more polys until you see when your system starts to slow down. Then you will know your limit.

Next, try to always keep your poly count under the limit by using techniques such as:

1. Cache your vox layers to make large scale edits

2. Use the decimate command to reduce poly count but keep detail

3. Take note that in Surface Mode you can change the mesh density anywhere by brushing on your mesh while holding Shift, but you need to select the proper Shift key action (look above the viewport to see this drop down list). Also turn on wireframe view to see the results. By using this feature you can reduce poly count wherever detail is not needed on your mesh.

4. I also find the Clean Mesh command to be very useful to get better overall topology which responds well to changes in detail (and therefore reduces the need for excessive subdivision).

Maybe this will help with your slowdown issues.

• Like 1

There is of course a limit to how many polygons you can have in the viewport at any one time. If you have too many, 3D-Coat will slow down.

It is still possible to make highly detailed models, but there are several tricks you need to use in order to keep things moving quickly in the viewport.

Try testing the limits of your system by starting out with low poly models and then gradually add more and more polys until you see when your system starts to slow down. Then you will know your limit.

Next, try to always keep your poly count under the limit by using techniques such as:

1. Cache your vox layers to make large scale edits

2. Use the decimate command to reduce poly count but keep detail

3. Take note that in Surface Mode you can change the mesh density anywhere by brushing on your mesh while holding Shift, but you need to select the proper Shift key action (look above the viewport to see this drop down list). Also turn on wireframe view to see the results. By using this feature you can reduce poly count wherever detail is not needed on your mesh.

4. I also find the Clean Mesh command to be very useful to get better overall topology which responds well to changes in detail (and therefore reduces the need for excessive subdivision).

Maybe this will help with your slowdown issues.

Thanks for your response! A lot of these things are not relevant to my situation because I am almost always in voxel mode when I am sculpting, but it is very helpful to know that keeping as few as possible objects visible will help... I suppose this should be intuitive!

I am not sure what you mean by "cache your vox layers"... does this mean to keep them hidden, or is there something else I can do?