3DCoat Forums

Manual Retopo Bug (?)

Axel6430

Hello, I'm trying to make a model for use in a game mod. I'm currently doing a manual retopo but I stumbled upon an issue that I don't quite understand; After baking the retopo mesh some faces appear darker than the others, as if the AO rendered twice for them or something of the sort:

ShDJSrt.png

For reference, here's a screen of the corresponding mesh:

FQufWAv.png

Also, unrelated question; I have a small part of the model that's supposed to go in the green area in the above screenshot, but it's too much of a tight fit so when baking normals for the whole mesh that section ends up being broken. Is it possible to bake it as a separate mesh then add it to the rest once in the paint room?

Thanks in advance!

It seems that deleting the problematic polys and redoing them returns them back to normal somehow. This is really weird, I'm experiencing a lot of bugs while doing this, like sometimes I just split a poly and half the mesh suddenly disappears. Am I doing something wrong? Manual retopo is a legit workflow in 3DCoat right?

Virtual Symmetry (Retopo Room)

An additional mode of symmetry for the Retopo Room, this allows you to create virtual symmetry so you can see what your Retopo Object will look like symmetrically. A “real” workable mesh can be created from virtual symmetry as well, but also be aware that if you already have a symmetrical Retopo Object, turning on Virtual Symmetry will effectively “double-up” on the amount of polygons visible, even if the geometry is virtual.

Also note that if your mesh has symmetrical geometry in the Retopo Room, than turning Symmetry Mode on will create actual, editable geometry on top of the already existing geometry. So avoid using symmetry with that kind of mesh, in the Retopo Room.

Aw badword, that may be it. So in essence if I've got actual symmetry turned on in the retopo room I should disable the virtual mirror and vice versa? With the small difference that if I use virtual symmetry I have to click "Symetry" when I'm done? ie if I have virtual mirror on I should have this unchecked?

XmpEfuC.png

If so then how does it know according to which plane it should apply the symmetry once I click on the symmetry button? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.