3DCoat Forums

Newbie, SFX artist and qustions

Jarel Design

Hi,

Richard here.

I've been a special effects artist (Star Trek, 5th Element, Power Rangers etc...) and prototype developer (Mattel, Hasbro and more...(Created most of the Batmobiles for Mattel as well as more than a few Max Steel vehicles, Star Wars, Transformers toys, etc..), for over 25 years. ALL my work has been created by hand and I'm just now getting into "digital modeling" to produce physical models. (I feel like I'm 18, but actually 61 years old. LOL!)

I just discovered 3D coat last week and could not get enough (As in: I'll continue watching tutorial videos and learning about this incredible program, hoping to add 3D coat to my "tools"!) Once i feel more comfortable, I'll download the trial version to explore first hand.

ALL my work revolves around creating physical models using 3D CNC router and 3D printer and then finishing them by hand. I've created hundreds of "parts" (control panels, engine details, wheels etc...), that I'd like to transform (using a 3D scanner), placing the scanned files into my own digital "library" and use them to import and add into new models I create. (mostly spaceships, weapons & vehicles)

(Note: Although I can perform "some" tasks in digital work, I would consider myself "Computer illiterate". LOL! I'm trying to determine if this is the right program for me? (From the videos I've seen, it sure seems like it! Considering myself a total newbie to CG fabrication, I could actually follow the visually friendly commands/tools and they made sense to me!)  =D

I also use a program: "Aspire", that is used to communicate with my CNC router (creating tool paths), using .STL files. My 3Dprinter also uses .STL files.Aspire and my CNC router will not create undercuts, so then I use a 3D printer.

I do have some VERY basic questions:

Very vague and general question, but from what I've shared and what I do and having my end "goal" being the creation of CNC or 3D printed physical models, do you think 3Dcoat would be a good choice for me?

I saw one video showing a spaceship being built and transformed using "Tinker Primatives" parts/components... Is this a library of "parts/components" for importing into base files to add to and modify for a new model? Does this "library" come with the 3Dcoat software? If not, where can I find these libraries? (I found a link as part of the answer to this very question, but got an "error" prompt by using the link.

Or, am I completely wrong in understanding "Tinker Primatives? (What was shown on this video is exactly the capabilities I'm hoping for!)

I want to determine if 3Dcoat will serve my purposes before purchasing.

I thank all who reply in advance,

Richard

post-40368-0-38133200-1461083436_thumb.j

post-40368-0-18442700-1461083464_thumb.j

post-40368-0-73269700-1461083485_thumb.j

post-40368-0-47597300-1461083510_thumb.j

• Like 2

Ooops!

I just placed a post in the wrong thread! (sorry!)

I just watched a tutorial video on using the Tinker features within 3Dcoat that answered a LOT of my questions!

Holy Smokes! Why haven't I learned about this program years ago!

I watched something created using the Tinker feature being created in minutes. I used to do this all by hand (cutting plastic extrusions, milling, lathe work etc) and it would take me hours if not days to do the same work in 3Dcoat!  =D

As long as I can save these files as .STL to send to my 3D printer, it looks as if 3Dcoat will be my #1 go to program of choice for the work I do!

Waiting for a computer upgrade from my tech before I download the trial version (I also want to learn more from tutorial videos so i can hit the ground running while I explore the tutorial.)

More questions:

part of my computer upgrade includes installing Windows 10 (I've read some conflicting info about this while researching). Any tips regarding using 3Dcoat with Windows 10?

Also just wanted to confirm that I can export an .STL file version of what I create to use with my 3D printer?

Can't share how excited I am about this program!

Thanks!

Richard

• Like 1

• Contributor

Welcome abroad o Mighty Master ;)

Hope you really like 3D Coat as much as we all do here.

P.S

You can export stl with out any issues.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

LOL! "Oh Mighty Master?

I personally don't think so, but my wife keeps supporting my moving from a place of insecurity (family of origin issues where I was always told to get a 'real" job), to accepting all that I've accomplished. (If she were looking over my shoulder, she'd say "Honey, just say "thank you" and let it in. LOL!  (She's my best friend of all time!)

I'm guessing your 'title" comes from seeing my photos? My reply is: I just LOVE what i do! I never got into this line of work to start a business, I just love the diversity of my clients and the fact that I'm not always doing the same thing over and over again! LOL!

I was able to download the Tinker packet, but it seems as if I don't have programs to open them up with. (Wait a minute, maybe I do! I'll have to check. I have a "lower" version of Aspire, but don't know if that will import the STL files in the packet.

Can anyone tell me if the Tinker packet objects will import into the 3Dcoat trial version? Will it appear like the videos with a "menu bar" (strip along the bottom of the screen), that has thumbnails? Is there something I need to do to get those objects to appear in the trial version of 3Dcoat?

Thank you for your kind words... I'm still working on "owning" what I do and have accomplished... If TV has any credibility, I recently appeared on a History Channel program ("Million Dollar Genius"... Third segment of the first/premier episode.) talking about the "Headblade". If you watch it, you can see where 3Dcoat would have saved weeks as we modified the design (on paper), then re-sculpted/machined (by hand!) to get to the final version!

So far as I can tell, this program is going to be like having a "clone" of me to help me get more work done faster....

I can also wee a "problem", because as easy and fun as it looks to use this program, I'm never going to sleep creating things I don't "need", just because I can! LOL!

Best,

Richard

• Like 2

• Contributor

Most of us grew up with your creations and now meeting the man behide the scenes yes an Oh mighty Master is the least i can say here.

Install package , select the Tinker package and then restart ;)

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1

Laughing here (warmly)...

I totally understand your growing up with what I've created. THANK YOU!

I'm going to have to make a little name tag with your "Oh master" title under my name. maybe print it backwards so that when I look in a mirror, I can read it and "get it".

Thank you again.

I haven't downloaded the trial version because I see there's a 30 day time limit. I'm currently working on two projects at the same time and I know i won't have the time i want to spend working in this program while the 30 day limit is ticking away.

I tried bringing it into my Vcarve program but although it accepts .STL files and many others, it won't recognize any of the tinker objects.

Will these tinker objects import or be accessible through my 3Dcoat trial version when I download it and begin learning?

Playing around with this specific feature is what i really want to become familiar with... (If i can do this and exporet what I create in .STL format (I'm 'guessing" that there are some limitations on the trial version? (Many trial versions like this will allow you to create, but not export... (I'm OK with that as long as I know that I can... I just want to experiment and learn.), I'll probably pull the trigger and purchase this program.)

just had a thought....

While you guys have been enjoying my work (created by HAND), you were also learning about computers.... I, on the other hand, am just learning now! Can't tell you how many times I look up a word or term (didn't know what UL meant among many other terms until just this morning!), so although the thought of downloading, uploading etc may seem simple and second nature for you, it's an "adventure" for me! LOL! I'm persistent though and I REALLY want to learn how to do all this stuff!

Great quote from a movie:

"The oxen are slow (me), but the earth, is patient" (hopefully YOU guys! LOL!)

Thanks again!

Richard

• Like 1

• Contributor

You need to export them from 3d coat as obj or stl in order to be readable in other softwares.

P.S

I am 35 , father of 2  , noooooot so far from you lol

Hi,

Richard here.

I've been a special effects artist (Star Trek, 5th Element, Power Rangers etc...)

Hey Richard,

Just a quick shout out.  I was one minions on the model crew for 5th Element; primarily on the mini lighting crew. Perhaps our paths crossed. I was quite familiar with the taxi's and that blasted police cruiser trying to keep the flashing lights working ,etc., and of course the Pfiloston! 

Things are a lot different with digital these days that's for sure.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with 3DC.

• Like 1

Hi Ma3k!

Our paths had to have crossed!  =D

I worked a lot with (Dang... old age just took over. Had his name on the tip of my tongue before i started typing! LOL!)... He worked in Venice at the time and he made the Taxis!

YES! things have changed quite a lot since then! I've continued making "stuff" by hand until I got my CNC router. Now I'm looking at buying an Axiom Dual 3D printer and a scanner.

Combining these tools with what I know how to do will change my life forever! (Of course, my learning curve may extend the time before I actually start creating parts! LOL!

Still trying to remember his name! I should as we became friends for years before I moved up here to Oregon 16 years ago. LOL! I remember that his company began with "3D"....

You guys are so funny!

And... I am truly honored....

I'm chuckling here because although I know a lot and I've built a lot, I must confess that I'm fairly "computer illiterate": (Ask me to find a file I just saved and point a gun to my head while the clock is ticking for me to find it, and I'm likely to tell you: Why don't you just save us both the agony of anticipation and shoot me already! LOL!

I'm hoping as I get into this program that I can ask you guys for help?

I'd also like to offer any info/insight/tips/tricks I know about the "real world": Molding, casting, vacuum forming (using your home oven and a vacuum cleaner!) Please feel free to ask away!

Thank you for your kind words!

Best to you,

Richard

:

Still trying to remember his name! I should as we became friends for years before I moved up here to Oregon 16 years ago. LOL! I remember that his company began with "3D"....

It'll come to you ... about 3 in the AM of course!.  I've managed to keep in touch with a few of the crew over the years.

I'll be moving back to Portland area in ~ 3 years.  Small world. 

M.

Hi Richard,

I'm also a physical modelmaker delving into the world of 3D.

I looked at a few 3d programs with great frustration. Everyone was going on how great Zbrush was, but for me it was a nightmare. I tried and abandoned it several times.

I then found 3dCoat and took to it like a dream! (I'm still very much a beginner but it seems to make sense to me)

Have you seen this idea?

http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/863.12/people/hendranata.erioseto/images/week6_moulding+casting/4_week6.jpg

Rapid prototype a mould for your mould! Brilliant!

I hope it will be possible to generate complex split lines in 3dCoat...another days work!

All the best in your 3dCoat adventure,

Rob, Ireland.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply!

I started another thread in the "3Dcoat" forum titled "kinetic steam punk fish". In it I share a project I've had in mind for years and never followed through, now seeing (and asking "if") how I could create it in 3Dcoat before purchasing 3Dcoat. LOTS of great replies and one, where a member actually went through many of the steps and sharing screen shots that brought me to the decision to go with 3Dcoat. That fish project includes a lot of challenges who's solutions I'm sure will help me to create many other projects (including client work).

i TOTALLY agree with you regarding being able to understand how to use 3Dcoat way more easily than many of the other 3D programs. Maybe it's because of our physically building things for so long and being able to communicate with our work from a physical/visual standpoint rather than learning codes to move invisible lines and surfaces? LOL!

I LOVE voxel/clay manipulation feature!!! Totally "speaks" to me!

Interesting molding concept you shared in your image. Not sure if I'll go that route just yet:(Have to wait until I see how tight of a 3D model I can create with a 3D printer or CNC router. My hopes at this point are to create the 3Dcoat model, then output with my CNC router, and compare that to a 3D print (The printer I'll be purchasing can print in ABS which is more conducive to post printing finishing.). I use a Urethane based "modeling plank" (Ren-Shape) to doa lot of my modeling. (45# density): It cuts and machines like butter (CNC router),and (by hand), I can get a surface finish to shine (polished), if that's what I'm after. By hand, I'd like to manipulate a Ren-Shape model to input minute details like slight indentations where rivets are and inconsistencies like deformed surface areas, (probably easy to do using voxels, but I'm also a physical artist and I'd like to have some hands on input (This will likely transition to most if not all 3Dcoat work as time goes on.) Once I'm happy with my "final" master plug, I'll mold those parts in silicone to be able to produce limited editions of my kinetic sculptures.

Once I get going in the digital world, I'll have to try what you shared regarding creating a mold direct from a 3D printer output! (I can see that saving a LOT of time!)

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding "complex split lines"? If you look at my fish sculpture drawing, I have several horizontal "panel lines" where I'd like the surface to reflect a champhored, angular connection between the panels so that they look more like they were fabricated on an internal frame, rather than just a perfect curve. I also want to input surface differences between connecting panels so they look like they're actually overlapping. Is this what you're referring to? I'd love to see some images to better understand you. (Please feel free to move over to the kinetic fish sculpture to reply... (I can see myself keeping that thread updated as I continue to learn and share the evolution of that project. I also shared a couple of other kinetic sculpture concept sketches over there.

Thanks for sharing!

=D

Richard

• Reputable Contributor

Richard, I think you should contact Andrew (Chief Developer/Owner of 3D Coat) directly (support@3dcoat.com) and cut/paste your initial post (so you don't have to type it again). He should answer back, as he tries his best to communicate with the userbase. Even if there isn't currently a specific feature you need, you'd be surprised to see how often your very own ideas/feature requests actually become an integral part of the application. So, you get some sense of real personal ownership/investment in the app before long.

There is a feature for undercuts in the Sculpt workspace and there are are tools, such as "Split and Joints" tool that cater to artists needing to export for purposes of sending the model to a 3D Printer. Andrew recently added a 3D Printer Exporter

146177089424.jpg

146177090933.jpg

Hi AbnRanger,

Thanks for the input. I can see even clearer that I'm no where near contacting Andrew! LOL! I haven't even downloaded the3 trial version yet and there are a LOT of terms, I need to learn! LOL!

(I'm just swamped with clent work right now and I shouldn't ven be here on the forums! LOL!( diverting too much time for actually working!

I "thought" "split" might mean creating facets on lines! LOL! I'm interested in this as (if you look at my kinetic fish in my Kinectic Fish thread), I want to be able to create sharp lined facets on a curved surface. (Panels along the fish sculpture should look like flat pieces of metal that were joined along a poly-curved line along the horizontal part of the fish body.) I then want to raise one side of the line (just a little) to create a look as if the pieces of metal body plates were actually overlapping.and apply "rivet" details to help create the illusion.

I DEFINITELY need to begin learning and practicing with the program before I ask anything of Andrew! LOL!

I didn't realize that 3D printing was added to the program (cool!).

The more I learn about this program, the more certain I am that 3Dcoat is perfect for my applications!

Couldn't be happier (And I haven't even tried it yet! I will, I just have to meet my current deadlines.... Hard to continue working on these current projects as I see that IF I learned this program, I could "build" it so much faster and send it tot eh 3Dprinter! Kind of like a neanderthal using rocks, while the person next to me is using steel! LOL!

Thanks again!

Richard

Hi,

Just thought I'd make it easier to see what I'm working on and researching how 3Dcoat would apply.

here's the link:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19238

Also adding some images:

The Steam Punk Fish and a couple of other concept sketches for future kinetic pieces. All pieces will be mechanical, articulated and use electronics of all sorts from motors, servos, lighting, sound effects and ultrasonic 'steam" generators.

Hope you enjoy!

Richard

post-40368-0-46448500-1461776132_thumb.j

post-40368-0-63070600-1461776158_thumb.j

post-40368-0-48553900-1461776165_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

Hi AbnRanger,

Thanks for the input. I can see even clearer that I'm no where near contacting Andrew! LOL! I haven't even downloaded the3 trial version yet and there are a LOT of terms, I need to learn! LOL!

(I'm just swamped with clent work right now and I shouldn't ven be here on the forums! LOL!( diverting too much time for actually working!

I "thought" "split" might mean creating facets on lines! LOL! I'm interested in this as (if you look at my kinetic fish in my Kinectic Fish thread), I want to be able to create sharp lined facets on a curved surface. (Panels along the fish sculpture should look like flat pieces of metal that were joined along a poly-curved line along the horizontal part of the fish body.) I then want to raise one side of the line (just a little) to create a look as if the pieces of metal body plates were actually overlapping.and apply "rivet" details to help create the illusion.

I DEFINITELY need to begin learning and practicing with the program before I ask anything of Andrew! LOL!

I didn't realize that 3D printing was added to the program (cool!).

The more I learn about this program, the more certain I am that 3Dcoat is perfect for my applications!

Couldn't be happier (And I haven't even tried it yet! I will, I just have to meet my current deadlines.... Hard to continue working on these current projects as I see that IF I learned this program, I could "build" it so much faster and send it tot eh 3Dprinter! Kind of like a neanderthal using rocks, while the person next to me is using steel! LOL!

Thanks again!

Richard

I think you will want to use the PLANE Tool, in Voxel Mode, but there are other tools that let the user work with the same "ON PLANE" apparatus. Such as the Flatten Brush, when you are in Surface (Polygons only) mode. It's pretty amazing as you use a brush to trim planar facets or use a spline, rectangle, elipse, etc. from the E-Panel (just hit your E-key and it will come to your cursor).

Hide and Cutoff tools will be indispensable in your kind of projects.

Again,

Thank you so much.

Just too a lunch break waiting for epoxy to set. Is there such a thing is studying too much? Id say "learning", but for now let's just say being exposed to too much explaining too quickly? My brain is totally spinning! Not because i don't understand,what you're sharing, but it's like Swiss cheese, some parts are solid and others are a void! LOL!  (Especially since I have NO experience playing with this program yet!

What you did with the fish body is exactly what I want to do. I don't understand what a "spline" is, but hopefully assuming correctly (and more in the form of a more accurate question.

When i first bring my drawing in, can I bring the panel lines in to create hard points/edges, so that when I pass the plane tool along it's edges, the "cutting" doesn't go beyond those panel lines? (In the 'real world" this would be like placing metal strips on a cube of balsa and passing a sanding board so that the metal strips keep the sanding only to the space between the strips?

I'm attaching an image of a "transparent" drawing of a typical body segment. The facets i want to create would be where the longitudinal lines run from front to back. When completed, it would be like adding plastic sheets to conform to these edges and thus, creating the shapes I want.

I know I will learn much more, after I've completed current client work, download the trial version and attempt to re-create what You've shared. I'm sure I will learn terminology faster and be able to put together more specific questions that actually make sense. LOL!

again, many thanks!

Richard

I hope there are people out there that are like me, wanting to get into this, not having a clue, hesitant to try and floow my lead regarding tenacity to learn. Believe me, if I can do this (and I plan to!), then ANYONE can do this! LOL!

post-40368-0-60636100-1461781381_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

There are a few ways to skin that cat. Another would be to use the CLOSED Spline draw mode in the E-Panel (toward the end on the right side) to create a curve/spline...which you can save and reuse for the other panel strips. Then with the FREEZE brush (Surface mode), hit the ENTER key to apply a Freeze mask inside the spline. At the top of the UI, there is a FREEZE menu, you can drag that out and leave it in the viewport. Then choose from that menu "Invert Freeze selection."

What that will do is completely lock (freeze) the rest of the model, where only the non-frozen portion can be edited. Now, you can use the Flatten brush to flatten that strip

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure I get the concept regarding being able to isolate a horizontal panel using the green lines and then flattening that isolated (masked?) area. I'm thinking that this flattening will be done after I create the rounded "general" body (Head to tail), of the fish.) Then I move on to the next panel and repeat?

I'm thinking that since each of the vertical joints represent a separate part of the fish (In order to mechanically connect them so that I can introduce mechanical components to physically articulate the fish's swimming motion), that I would create and flatten the horizontal panels along the entire body first (maybe even do some detailing while the mask is in place), then cut (slice?) each vertical joint of the body segments to create the separate segments. (Would the masks remain (Save before cutting?), with each of the separated body segments for further sculpting?) I'd like to come back in and do some fine detailing where each panel overlaps at each facet edge.)

(Please excuse my use of 'terminology" as I still do not have a working vocabulary of this program. I actually go on line and look up the meanings of new terms and abbreviations to better understand what is being shared.)

I'm looking at the head and thinking I'll create some new drawings for it (needs some more internal space between the head and forward segment of the body to allow for physical movement of the head, separate from the forward segment of the body. I'll also redraw the forward part of the body to include more internal tapering to create more space and an internal flat area at the front to support internal mechanics.

(Way too much for my brain to be pondering/planning like this at this point! LOL! I need some time using the program to become more familiar with its' functions. I'm learning a lot from you, but the way my brain works, I need "hands-on" experience to gain those "Ah-ha!" moments of clarity.)

Stepping away from my desk (and this forum) yesterday, I FINALLY got some client work done yesterday!

I'm bookmarking EVERYTHING you're sharing so that I can go back back, study, download the trial version and give a first hand attempt at re-creating what you've shared to get a better feel for this process.(I'm thinking I'll set up my laptop to play the tutorials while I attempt to copy the steps on my desktop while actually using 3Dcoat. (I can freeze the videos until I find the right keys/buttons to duplicate what i watch, then continue watching through the following steps.)

My computer tech is waiting for me to bring my computer in for some major upgrades. (Since it's my only point of contact with my clients, I can't do without it until I'm done with their projects.) Yesterday he showed me what he plans to create for me as my newest computer (My current computer, will become my back up)... The new one was incredibly FAST and powerful! He'll be building my new computer with 3Dcoat in mind!)....

So much of what I'm trying to do seems like each step is waiting in line for the next, including getting these projects done so I can get paid which will facilitate upgrading my current computer, then having the final computer built. (With the upgrades (Windows 10 (64bit), a new video card, HD and power supply on my current computer, I should be able to navigate fairly well with 3Dcoat while waiting for my final computer to be built.)

OK... pulled a composite piece out of a mold this morning, perfect except two blemished spots that I'll have to go back and repair  :(... then cut parts for my second project and a full day after that. (All hard to do while my brain is going out of control (preoccupied), taking in all the info you're sharing.)

THANK YOU!

Best,

Richard