3DCoat Forums

masking

do lo

• Advanced Member

why in the heck is there no masking in the voxel room????? omfg!!!!!! masking please!!!  (unless there is somehow and i missed it) i just know your gonna say something like use hide or use this instead.. but i want masking in the voxel room!!!!!

Edited by do lo

• Advanced Member

Hint: If  program is available in version 4.x already and a feature is available in other modelling modes for a long time.. there’s more than just a slight likelihood that this feature wasn’t simply forgotten.
It is instead tremendously likely that others have missed that feature too and that the issue got discussed before.

Masking for a volumetric geometry representation is totally different from freezing mesh vertices, which only describe the outer shell. Thus far one has not come up with a method which makes

sense – I as a Layman would also say “why not simply freeze the surface mesh and make it somehow impact the underlying voxels which fill up the volume”. But it’s likely not that easy!

Edited by polyxo

• Reputable Contributor

why in the heck is there no masking in the voxel room????? omfg!!!!!! masking please!!!  (unless there is somehow and i missed it) i just know your gonna say something like use hide or use this instead.. but i want masking in the voxel room!!!!!

• Reputable Contributor

To be fair – you are using Surface mode here. When working with Voxels there's indeed no Masking available.

That was mentioned from the very start of the first video. Was just adding to what you mentioned...that one needs to switch to Surface mode. Since most of the development for the past 5yrs + has been in the Surface mode side of things, it's the best mode to work in, anyway...except when merging objects together and some boolean operations. Although subtraction operations are much more crisp in Surface mode, now.

• Advanced Member

VoxXray, VoxHide and Cell will help in the voxel mode.

lol what did i say! i knew someone would say there are workarounds for it!! omg!! i just need masking as in zbrush!! simple masking!! in voxel room of course.

i know surface room has that stupid freeze crap. i call it crap cuz the way it masks is ugly. not clean like in zbrush! yuk!

guess thats why 3d coat is number 2 and not number one. as it should & could be!!

• Advanced Member

There aren't two separate rooms for surface and voxel sculpting. There's no surface room, there's no voxel room, It's just one room, the sculpt room. The freeze mask is available in the sculpt room, you just need to be in surface mode. You don't need to switch rooms to do this.

• Advanced Member

There aren't two separate rooms for surface and voxel sculpting. There's no surface room, there's no voxel room, It's just one room, the sculpt room. The freeze mask is available in the sculpt room, you just need to be in surface mode. You don't need to switch rooms to do this.

by rooms i mean switching between voxel mode and surface mode or whaever you want to call it. i wouldnt expect you to know what i mean. but hopefully others might... good thing you dont speak for them..

and surface mode freeze aint really bad but they need to be in voxel room/mode!!

Edited by do lo

• Contributor

lol what did i say! i knew someone would say there are workarounds for it!! omg!! i just need masking as in zbrush!! simple masking!! in voxel room of course.

i know surface room has that stupid freeze crap. i call it crap cuz the way it masks is ugly. not clean like in zbrush! yuk!

guess thats why 3d coat is number 2 and not number one. as it should & could be!!

:blink:

• Advanced Member

by rooms i mean switching between voxel mode and surface mode or whaever you want to call it. i wouldnt expect you to know what i mean. but hopefully others might... good thing you dont speak for them..

and surface mode freeze aint really bad but they need to be in voxel room/mode!!

Why are you being so rude? I know exactly what you mean but you mentioned multiple rooms, multiple times, so I wanted to make sure you weren't talking about the freeze tool in the paint room and confusing it for something else, since that's the only other room with a similar masking tool.

Moderation: This is getting off-topic from the thread.

Be friendly, responsible, and contribute to the community and the software in positive ways.

If not, i must close the thread. Sorry.

ty all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi do lo.

Could you explain which are exactly the differences you found making mask in ZB vs 3DC ?

And let me again suggest you to read this article, is very informative and nice reading

Ways to Help: Work on Feature Requests

ty

i guess you have to work in  zbrush and 3d coat both to know what i mean. if not then your questions will never be answerable to your satisfaction. you have to be someone that can tell the difference of masking in both programs.

• Reputable Contributor

Ignoring Powers....ACTIVATE! :D

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I'm sure we can all get a long, but do lo, you've got to start putting in a bit of effort on your end. I know you want 3dc to be better, we all do, and it is being worked on, constantly. But if you want people to start taking you seriously you need to adjust your attitude. So far most of what you do is rudely request things that mostly exist already, ignore any help people try to give you in achieving what you want, or rudely respond to them, I think I've seen you say thanks once, for all the hours forum members have spent trying to help and advise you when you waltz in and demand things. It's like you've got seven more demands in the time it takes one person to assist you.

Take this thread as an example, someone is just asking you as plainly as possible to explain what it is you don't like, and how you think it could be improved. And yet you refuse to answer them, instead resorting to what has to be the laziest response I've ever seen from someone who has claimed many times to want to improve the software. This was your chance to explain what you would like to change, and you can't even do that. For what it's worth, I used to use Zbrush before I moved onto 3dc, and I have no idea what you're talking about. So why don't you just try to explain?

• Like 1