3DCoat Forums

importing

do lo

• Advanced Member

why is importing such a pain? zbrush loads all .obj with no problems what so ever and the quality is perfect, no messing with resolution or going from surface mode back to voxels ... geez... its a pain to try to get a imported model to import half way decent!!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

What problems are you having? Why is it a pain for you? You mention needing to switch between voxels/surface but that's not a necessity.

On the topic of resolution, yes that's a voxel thing, resolution of the mesh does not apply if it's a surface object.

What are you trying to do, and what problems are you running into?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

You may have better results creating the object in 3D-Coat. I was under the impression that Zbrush didn't have voxels.

then maybe voxels should be rethinked. and be more like zbrushes pixols...or what ever they call it. when i try to import an object in 3d coat i get bad quality result. unless i import to surface then go to volels where i ca change resolution if. zbrush imports in everything in top quality every time no matter what.  so much simpler in zbrush.

• Reputable Contributor

then maybe voxels should be rethinked. and be more like zbrushes pixols...or what ever they call it. when i try to import an object in 3d coat i get bad quality result. unless i import to surface then go to volels where i ca change resolution if. zbrush imports in everything in top quality every time no matter what.  so much simpler in zbrush.

You seem to have a habit of bashing 3D Coat first, for not having this or that, and yet most of the time  the real source of the problem is you haven't taken the time to learn the tools, beforehand. You blame 3D Coat for not having the ability to rotate in the Pose tool...when it in fact does. You blame 3D Coat for not having the ability to invoke the Brush Alpha's panel with a hotkey, when you can. When is this trend going to stop?

You can't blame Photoshop for producing low resolution images when you don't have a large enough document or enough DPI to store the amount of resolution you want. It's the same concept with Voxels, because they are volumetric pixels. Low number of pixels = jagged edges or details.

• Advanced Member

It's common to feel a great deal of frustration when using a new software. You've done this you say and it works? Where does the major frustration come from?

post-38412-0-26338800-1463213980_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

A little grit in the oyster can produce pearls.

Grit and gravel (stone throwing) are two different entities, entirely. ;) Rather than posting "3D Coat sux cuz it can't do this or that," why not ask if the tool/feature exists already, first? Most users do this.

• Reputable Contributor

Just to clarify, when importing a model as a Voxel object, when you scale your model up it is about the same as starting out in Photoshop with a larger document. If you want to work on a Poster, you start off with a poster-sized document. If you need to keep the scale small for some reason, then increasing the resolution on the layer as increasing the DPI on a Photoshop document. A good example of that would be where the artist is creating a business card or mailer. You keep the canvas size small like the document/medium, itself....but you increase the DPI to something like 300, to ensure you still have enough detail.

In 3D Coat, you may have a lot of smaller parts, like teeth, horns, buckles, laces, buttons, bolts, etc....they have to remain small, but you simply increase the resolution on the layer before you apply/commit them to a layer.

• Reputable Contributor

an example of 3d coat importing vs zbrush importing. (each was a straight import)   need i say more?????

3d%20coat%20import_zpspoewujcu.jpg?t=146

zb%20import_zpsyj0tlnn8.jpg?t=1463184153

Need you say more????

No. You are absolutely right about that. You do not need to say anymore. A better idea would be to LISTEN, instead. :D  If you had watched the video that was provided here, you'd understand that the QUALITY of import...WHEN WORKING WITH VOLUMETRIC PIXELS....is heavily reliant on SCALE or RESOLUTION of the layer. It's not different than working with a document in Photoshop.

Comparing it to ZBrush is an apples and oranges comparison. You are NOT importing an object into ZBrush as Voxels, but pure geometry. Know your subject matter before you proceed to criticize (the app for not doing what it most certainly can)

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Need you say more????

No. You are absolutely right about that. You do not need to say anymore. A better idea would be to LISTEN, instead. :D  If you had watched the video that was provided here, you'd understand that the QUALITY of import...WHEN WORKING WITH VOLUMETRIC PIXELS....is heavily reliant on SCALE or RESOLUTION of the layer. It's not different than working with a document in Photoshop.

Comparing it to ZBrush is an apples and oranges comparison. You are NOT importing an object into ZBrush as Voxels, but pure geometry. Know your subject matter before you proceed to criticize (the app for not doing what it most certainly can)

ok if i never mention zbrush again does that make anything any different? working with 3d coat or zbrush they both rely on resolution. the more resolution the finer the model. duh. that should be included in the programming of the tool. ithe import button should just import at the best resolution (like zbrush does), its like i have to program the tool before it works better. sure you need to be able to change settings but for a simple import that import should be at best quality. that just means way better quality than it does now. that all.a picture is worth a thousand words and yet you need to reinterpet the picture to your liking. just fix the dam thing. lol

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
 they both rely on resolution. the more resolution the finer the model. duh.

Not quite, again this is the whole "voxel" thing that ZBrush doesn't have. Other members of the forum have tried explaining this to you, and sending you links so you could learn about voxels. The reply you've even quoted has the big bold capital letters of "VOLUMETRIC PIXELS". Zbrush does not work like this. You seem to be hung up on subdivisions, in that more res = more triangles. But you're failing to understand the relevance of 3d space when dealing with voxel meshes. You can't just say "they both rely on resolution" and be done with it, the voxel system and the more standard surface (even dynamic) systems are two completely different beasts. 3dc happens to have both.

The comparison between 3dc and Zbrush doesn't work when you're importing a voxel object. If you import it without voxelisation you get the same result you'd get in Zbrush, because it's dealing with surface geometry only, just like Zbrush.  If you import it with voxelisation, then the physical scale of the model is important, there is no "import at best quality", while I think some form of scale-detection might be do-able in the future, a little understanding of voxels will help you understand why no such thing currently exists, and why it would make more sense to simply let the user decide for now.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Not quite, again this is the whole "voxel" thing that ZBrush doesn't have. Other members of the forum have tried explaining this to you, and sending you links so you could learn about voxels. The reply you've even quoted has the big bold capital letters of "VOLUMETRIC PIXELS". Zbrush does not work like this. You seem to be hung up on subdivisions, in that more res = more triangles. But you're failing to understand the relevance of 3d space when dealing with voxel meshes. You can't just say "they both rely on resolution" and be done with it, the voxel system and the more standard surface (even dynamic) systems are two completely different beasts. 3dc happens to have both.

The comparison between 3dc and Zbrush doesn't work when you're importing a voxel object. If you import it without voxelisation you get the same result you'd get in Zbrush, because it's dealing with surface geometry only, just like Zbrush.  If you import it with voxelisation, then the physical scale of the model is important, there is no "import at best quality", while I think some form of scale-detection might be do-able in the future, a little understanding of voxels will help you understand why no such thing currently exists, and why it would make more sense to simply let the user decide for now.

Exactly. There actually is an AUTO-SCALE button in the tool panel, but since he seems to know 3D Coat's capabilities so well, already...enough to bash it for coming up short of his requirements...I don't need to mention it. :D

• Advanced Member

Just curious, how does the model look if imported without voxelization, that is, in Surface mode?

here is a pic of it imported in surface mode. vs imported into zbrush... see the faint line across the tires? thats cuz this pic includes 2 imports. they line up perfectly in zbrush but theres that line in 3d coat, in surface mode. make 3d coat import better/perfect like zbrush.

post-40085-0-91564300-1463428872_thumb.j

post-40085-0-06825600-1463432153_thumb.j

Edited by do lo

• Contributor

While that's a valid point, I have to ask why the model is split in such an odd location? I can't work out any logical workflow that would require this.

I think that's a 3D-Coat bug. If a part of the model is below the "floor" when imported, then it gets split at the floor. This bug has been mentioned by several other users. However, I don't think an official bug report has been created on Mantis.

The workaround is to raise the model above the floor and the split no longer occurs when importing.

• Contributor

Can you post a Mantis link? I have a similar bug already reported, so it would be a good idea to mark both of them as related.

Ajz3d, please post a link to your Mantis report. I can't find it. Andrew and Carlos are researching these bugs and can't reproduce them.

Also, where is the thread that you were discussing this bug with another user? Was that you, or some other users? I remember it from a while ago, but I am having trouble finding it again now.

EDIT: Ok I found it! The problems you were having are related to the Pose Tool. The discussion is here:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19116

And the Mantis report is here:

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2095