3DCoat Forums

Possible to change retopo after painting?

Devin

• Advanced Member

The issue here is that he's asking about changes to the retopo after painting, which would mean he's baked or just sent the retopo mesh into the paint room. To my knowledge, as soon as the retopo mesh enters the paint room it has no connection to the original retopo mesh. Whenever I've needed to change the retopo mesh after already bringing it into the paint room, I have always had to remove it from the paint room (+all layers) and then go back to retopo, make tweaks and do a re-bake. The video posted above describes the process before the mesh is in the paint room.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

There is an option to send a COPY of the Paint Room mesh directly to the Retopo room, if you like. In the Retopo Room, go to the RETOPO Menu and click USE PAINT OBJECT AS RETOPO MESH. You'll immediately see the copy. Do what you need to do and if you haven't already done a lot of texture work, then just rebake the model from the BAKE Menu, in the Retopo room.

If you have already done a good bit of texture work and don't want to lose all your work, then export the modified mesh from the Retopo Room > in the Paint Room, from the FILE Menu, choose IMPORT > REPLACE GEOMETRY. This should leave your texture work undisturbed and just replace the mesh itself. It's admittedly not a very streamlined workflow, but that is why I have been hounding Andrew over this very topic. 3D Coat is designed to facilitate a typical workflow/progression and it can be a real PITA if you have to go break that progression and go back to make some modeling/sculpting edits.

I hope this helps, but I would strongly implore you to send an e-mail to Andrew, directly (support@3dcoat.com) if you'd like to see this change and have 3D Coat allow a more streamlined workflow between the workspaces...especially when you need to go back and make some modeling edits. Currently, it's easier to move assets to and from 3ds Max, using the Applink plugin, than it is for go from the Paint Workspace back into the Retopo or Sculpt room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Found this while having the exact same problem and following @AbnRanger's method, I eventually found it easier just to fix the retopo mesh and redo my textures (fortunately I've gotten about as quick as the computer and my insistence on doing 2048+ textures allow me to be) as trying to work the unexpected paint room mesh (which I managed to not know about despite a dialogue box saying something about how ptex couldn't deal with triangles so it was converting everything to quads, I get there eventually) in the retopo room as agonisingly painful due to the tools flying about all over the place seemingly randomly/like there was a radial symmetry active (there most definitely wasn't) and generally not operating as expected (using the move tool with a noticable brush radius, vertices placed directly on top of each other would not weld no matter what).

If it's possible to do an easier back and forth it would be incredibly useful!