3DCoat Forums

Paint Room - How to quickly pick Paint Objects ?

Go to solution Solved by ThomasBrissot,

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could quickly pick each paint objects that compose the scene in the Paint Room, the same way you just press H in the Sculpt Room when over a specific volume? 

Otherwise I have to go to paint objects, look for the layer, isolate it and then paint it, which in term of workflow is horrible :)  

Thanks for your help ! 

Thomas

• Advanced Member

As far as I can tell, the H key in the paint room does try to auto-select the correct layer, but if you have an AO map or curvature, or normals or any other sort of global layer then it will just keep auto-selecting that. Photoshop does this too (with the "Select by layer/group" options), but you can lock or hide layers and they are prevented from being selectable. To my knowledge, even if you hide the "AmbientOcclusion" layer in 3dc, pressing the H key over your painted mesh will still select it.

One way would be to follow the naming convention, ie... press H while hovering over geometry, it detects that you're selecting "Left Arm" paint object, and you have a "Left Arm" paint layer too, which it would select. It's not ideal, and very prone to human error, but it's a suggestion.

Edit

Actually... 

Otherwise I have to go to paint objects, look for the layer, isolate it and then paint it,

This confuses me a bit. The paint objects are just the geometry, you shouldn't be using them to find correct paint layers. Here's what my paint room UI looks like:

7CkEe6s.jpg

The only reason I have paint objects visible is to hide/unhide them. They can't actually be selected. All painting is done on the paint layers, rather than the objects.

Perhaps you're getting confused between objects and layers?

Edited by Gary Dave

Hey Gary,

First of all, thanks for your answer :) 

Indeed it is confusing but taking you screenshot as an example here is how I would work (it's the first time ever I painted anything in 3d coat so really really noob on this) : To make sure that I only paint the object Knobs and not the others I only make Knobs visible in the Paint Objects window. I then paint on whatever paint layer, ambient occlusion or whatever but by doing that I'm sure i wont accidentally paint on other objects like Handles or Drawers. I thought I was actually selecting each paint objects by doing that but as you point out, they can't be selected. If I use the H shortcut it auto-selects layers of paint and not objects indeed.

How would you apply paint on only certainpaint objects and not others if not by making  them visible while hiding the others? 

• Contributor

Hiding the unwanted is the best way to avoid the unwanted. If your objects share the same UV space, you can create a new layer for each. That way all objects will be conceptually separate while being exported together.

• Advanced Member

Actually 3dc will only try to paint on a single object at a time, it all depends on what your cursor is hovering over. Here's a gif of what I mean. The knob, drawer and back piece are all separate objects. I can only paint across them all if I do it on purpose, otherwise if I keep the centre of my cursor over one object, it will only paint on that object.

Notice how my fall-off range is much larger, but the brush is not painting on multiple objects, until the end where I purposefully paint across all of them.

ONJaYSi.gif

I only hide objects in the paint room if they're a bit too fiddly to be painted in this manner.

• Advanced Member

Actually 3dc will only try to paint on a single object at a time, it all depends on what your cursor is hovering over. Here's a gif of what I mean. The knob, drawer and back piece are all separate objects. I can only paint across them all if I do it on purpose, otherwise if I keep the centre of my cursor over one object, it will only paint on that object.

Notice how my fall-off range is much larger, but the brush is not painting on multiple objects, until the end where I purposefully paint across all of them.

ONJaYSi.gif

I only hide objects in the paint room if they're a bit too fiddly to be painted in this manner.

Have you tried swapping from Connective Picking to Volume Based?

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping this old post but this doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm currently thinking about getting the full version as it seems to have some valuable tools that Zbrush doesn't have. This means I know very little about 3D Coat at this point and I'm testing this in the trial version.

Here are the steps I took, version 4.8.16A (GL64)

1. Reset to default

2. open voxel room, split a voxel sphere with the split tool and 0 border width (center stripe cut from sphere).

3. switch to paint room ,  made sure always and connective picking are selected.

4. create a new layer

5. paint over one part of the sphere making sure that the center dot is never even close to the other voxel element.

result: both objects are affected.

What am I doing wrong? Please help, thanks!