3DCoat Forums

Desert Eagle

Axel6430

Decided a gun would be a good entry point to learn the ropes of HS modelling.

At the painting phase right now :

gQLqDeR.png

Yo5WOkV.pngglhgfAx.pnggTuJrcL.png

Maybe a bit too simple-looking material wise, but I'm not sure what details to add without cheating and making it engraved or something. Maybe add a bit of wear on the chrome?

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Pretty damn good, especially as you say you're a beginner. Did you do the entire thing in 3dc or import a base mesh from another application?

I actually really like the simplistic rendering you've ended up with here, but if you wanted to push it a bit further I would say the grip could definitely do with some tweaks, like adding an engraved logo, and some repeating normal map pattern that covers the whole thing. Like this: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/155/155591.jpg

The decision to add a bit of wear and tear is of course optional, but it never hurts to add in a little bit of these details, like some little scratches in the paint work on certain hard edges, the trick is to not go crazy with it, I've seen people who cover every hard edge with scratches and it just breaks the believability of it.

Lastly, I'm not much of a gun guy, but I don't think I've ever seen a desert eagle that didn't have text on the sides of the barrel. I'm guessing your mirrored UV's are a problem for that though.

• Like 1

It looks new. If you want it to look used, there are some excellent PBR shaders to try out.

Are there websites that serve as PBR material banks? Would be pretty handy.
Ideally I'd love to be able to make my own shaders. Are there any good tutorials on how to create realistic PBR stuff?

Pretty damn good, especially as you say you're a beginner. Did you do the entire thing in 3dc or import a base mesh from another application?

I actually really like the simplistic rendering you've ended up with here, but if you wanted to push it a bit further I would say the grip could definitely do with some tweaks, like adding an engraved logo, and some repeating normal map pattern that covers the whole thing. Like this: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/155/155591.jpg

The decision to add a bit of wear and tear is of course optional, but it never hurts to add in a little bit of these details, like some little scratches in the paint work on certain hard edges, the trick is to not go crazy with it, I've seen people who cover every hard edge with scratches and it just breaks the believability of it.

Lastly, I'm not much of a gun guy, but I don't think I've ever seen a desert eagle that didn't have text on the sides of the barrel. I'm guessing your mirrored UV's are a problem for that though.

I did the whole thing in 3DC, made the voxel object with boolean operations and the occasional pose tool.

Good idea for the grip, I'll look for some nice logo to use for that, and do diamond pattern for the normal map.

For the text thing, I guess I could retopo the frame to be asymmetrical. I still need to blend the UVs of all the paint objects into one, though. How can I do that? Use the UV room?

• Advanced Member

Very impressive for a 100% 3d coat workflow.

For PBR stuff, there's the official youtube channel which covers some of it, I've not watched any of the PBR stuff on there though so I'm not sure if they teach you how to create your own, I would imagine that information is sort of included though. Once you understand what 3dc PBR shaders are doing I think you'll be okay.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat/search?query=pbr

There is also this non-official video that goes over creating your own, to my knowledge though, it's very basic and he skips a lot of the finer points of this workflow:

For presets and the like that you can get elsewhere, check out this area of the forum:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showforum=31

There was a user on here who had his own website dedicated to sharing 3d coat PBR materials, but I can't for the life of me remember it.

• Like 1