3DCoat Forums

GEDs sketches

GED

• Advanced Member

Very nice.

Question: Have you ever tried the surface tools in 3DCoat to create the final details?

yeah I gave them a try but it took a long time to get back to voxel mode and the sculpting didnt feel as natural as zbrush or as high in subdivisions.

Chris solo Im not sure what your trying to say? The shader is one I made its based on lamblight but has higher spec and lower transmission of light, I wanted it to look like a wet/polished 3d printed sculpture, I think I used 4 lights but 2 works as well

yeah I gave them a try but it took a long time to get back to voxel mode and the sculpting didnt feel as natural as zbrush or as high in subdivisions.

Ok. Expected this kind of answer... You are right, the brush feeling in 3D Coat have still a lot of optimisation "potencial"...

And about the voxel/surface switch: Today I would never switch back to voxels, when using a high detailed model. The surface mode is currently just a "finalizer" mode for me. Once you reached a high detail, you have no chance to go back to voxels...

• Advanced Member

Chris solo Im not sure what your trying to say? The shader is one I made its based on lamblight but has higher spec and lower transmission of light, I wanted it to look like a wet/polished 3d printed sculpture, I think I used 4 lights but 2 works as well

thank you for your reply, you understand me, sorry for my bad English ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

These look great. I already said that. :clapping:

About the use of zbrush:

The reason I bought a license of 3d coat was 'voxels'. Thats all. Re topology, texture painting etc just doesn't make sense to me as for an animated figure I need a base mess from scratch (blender), for UV mapping (even auto UVs I prefer blender), for tex painting I prefer blender or zbrush. I just love voxels (a fine instrument of art) go up to 500-1 million of poly, then to blender, zbrush (decimation in 3d coat is great BTW). (zbrush, project all etc)

Consider this: 3d coat on a mac just crashes when quadrangulation and all these ptex is what I had in mind. (bad english, I know, sorry).

These look great. I already said that. :clapping:

About the use of zbrush:

The reason I bought a license of 3d coat was 'voxels'. Thats all. Re topology, texture painting etc just doesn't make sense to me as for an animated figure I need a base mess from scratch (blender), for UV mapping (even auto UVs I prefer blender), for tex painting I prefer blender or zbrush. I just love voxels (a fine instrument of art) go up to 500-1 million of poly, then to blender, zbrush (decimation in 3d coat is great BTW). (zbrush, project all etc)

Consider this: 3d coat on a mac just crashes when quadrangulation and all these ptex is what I had in mind. (bad english, I know, sorry).

Have you ever seriously textured or unfolded a model in 3D Coat? It's like heaven. Give it a try. I just say: Try set texture layers in zBrush: impossible. One of the most important feature for artists. Voxels are nice, but it is still a small, but interesting and important, part in 3DC, in my opinion. 90% of the people here are talking about voxels and miss so much more in 3DC.

@GED: Sorry for my off topic.

• Advanced Member

it looks nice textured!

just one thing, if im watching your realtime rendering, you would have 9 verts to make forehead a bit more round, it looks amazing flate. if you doing this ~ 2500 verts character, its maybe better if you dont do so many verts for the eyes, ears and toe´s, display this via textures and normalmap. you could use it for the top of the head and the back head and the wear. the arm itself looks swelled and the feets needs also a bit more work, maybe you make them a bit more natural. the texture looks good to me. there is only one thing (not a big thing), if you watch the hair beginning, maybe use a smaller brush to paint the hair beginning in.

but in overall it looks like a clean work! the style isnt that what i like, but your work looks clean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

never got to finish this properly for the gameartisans challenge. Its just flat shaded diffuse. Shes 3817 tris on her own. based loosely on william bourgeaurau art http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_%281825-1905%29_-_The_Broken_Pitcher_%281891%29.jpg

dorothy_presentation1.jpg

dorothy_colour7.jpg

feel free to crit if you like

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I admire you're talent. When you can knock off one of these sculpts during you're lunch break then that is some quick work......I get half an hour for mine!

hey thanks, I dont usually get time to do sculpts at work Ive only got 3dcoat at home now days so any personal artwork I do is usually done between 10pm and 1am which is very tiring lately. I am currently working on a syndicate(the old game) inspired environment its going ok Ill show it here when theres more to see.

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Im busy working on this guy for the comicon contest, using 3dcoat to make the basemesh with autoretopo. Ive come across a problem though, I want to make one arm out of voxels and then duplicate it and flip it to make the other arm and then merge it all with the body, will this work? and if it does will symetry still work?

cablehead1.jpg

• Contributor

Im busy working on this guy for the comicon contest, using 3dcoat to make the basemesh with autoretopo. Ive come across a problem though, I want to make one arm out of voxels and then duplicate it and flip it to make the other arm and then merge it all with the body, will this work? and if it does will symetry still work?

cablehead1.jpg

It will work good. :)

Use "Clone with symmetry" to duplicate in sym and use "move to" command to merge whatever layer you need when you are ready.

Merged layer will inherit target layer space density tough,so always merge from the lowest to the highest.

It will also inherit target space density symmetry plane orientation so if its wrong and you want restore it use "to global space" command.

Cool start up on the face btw :good: , which comic character is it?