3DCoat Forums

skate/hover board

benk

• Advanced Member

This will be a hard one for me but I will give it a try. As usual I will attempt to integrate an animal into the theme. In this case I will attempt to do something with a skate as a platform for a skate (pun intended) board or hover board. Yes for you biologists, my primitive looks more like a ray than a skate but that is my start.

If this idea bombs I will look at the possibility for a steampunk mobile medical vehicle.

Looking forward to all the works on this challenge.

bk

post-38932-0-93606800-1463084817_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Beginning to sketch out mechanicals and how housing might be affected.

post-38932-0-73361700-1463238841_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Here is a bit more sketching. Looks like my scene will be a hoverboard for Darwin's expeditions, replete with Victorian field biology sampling devices. Don't know if the filigree concepts will pan out....probably a nightmare to retopo, but I am looking to expose some of the steam engine elements.

post-38932-0-25573400-1463346858_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Here are a few paint tests. Lots more modelling  to go.

BK

paint mock up.png

paint mock up 2.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thank you AgentSam. Much more work needed to catch up with the rest of the entries.

• Advanced Member

Thank you angecroft.

• Advanced Member

Sketching in a few more elements. Starting to kind of look like a backwards velocipede.

More elements to come.

bk

more elements.png

• Like 5

• Advanced Member
On 6/4/2016 at 3:40 PM, benk said:

As this will be Darwin's hoverboard I have begun sculpting some scene elements. In this case a Galapagos tortoise.

bk

tortoise.png

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

Testing a scene concept. More elements to come.

scene test 2.png

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Thanks Michael....I'll need every trick I can muster to compete with your  entry. Hopefully by the time I get some DOF and more objects in the scene the tortoise won't overpower the composition. Looking forward to your updates.

bk

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

More refinements. Still need to punkify the camera, add some birds to groom the tortoise, more mechanicals and a bunch of time with the particle system and environment. Not sure it is worth the effort but I will forge on.

more elements again.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Some more scene adjustments....still more modelling to go.

Thanks for comments Tony and Ballistic_Tension. Haven't a clue regarding music.

bk

render 6.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

This posting will constitute my submission of a final image for this project. Back plate image used for this project is from Google Maps, Isla Isabela, Galapagos. Blender used for particle system, rendering and compositing. 3D Coat used for modelling and painting.

True to my interest in the intersection of art and science and animals in society this image is an imagined vehicle (Darwin's Hoverboard) that Darwin might have used in 1869 on the HMS Beagle expedition exploring Galapagos where he observed animal morphology and ethology leading to the development of his theory of evolution.

I thank all at 3D Coat for all their hard work in the continued development and refinement of their product and in establishing this competition. I wish good luck to all contestants and look forward to seeing their excellent final images.

BK

Darwin's hoverboard.png

• Like 8

• Advanced Member

Thanks Tony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks Michael and Aardbeg. Won't be a contest winner but I learned some things.

bk