3DCoat Forums

Airship

Awiz

• Reputable Contributor

It's looking really good thus far. I do agree with the one other person who mention the scale of the vertical stacks. They are fine as is, but perhaps exaggerating the scale of them quite a bit more, could help sell the whole Steampunk aspect even more? Maybe not, but could be worth a brief attempt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

It's looking really good thus far. I do agree with the one other person who mention the scale of the vertical stacks. They are fine as is, but perhaps exaggerating the scale of them quite a bit more, could help sell the whole Steampunk aspect even more? Maybe not, but could be worth a brief attempt.

Thanks!  

I will try to explain my opinion :   Although a steampunk is a fantastic direction - I like realistic-looking modeling style.  In my mind, I imagine that this airship can not have too large steam engine - respectively, and smokestacks should not be too large :) . I believe that the engines and mechanisms need to be compact and light that they can be lifted into the air and at the same time remained the possibility of carrying passengers with comfort.   In my imagination, airship construction is made of more advanced, light and durable materials - that allows give it a form of what I represent, and the internal volume of up to ~80-85% busy of a balloons with lifting gas. And according to these ideas, I choose the proportions of all the elements of the airship - and I try to combine the fantastic and realistic ideas in this my work :)    You be the judge happened or not - but I personally like the way that there are.

I hope, I have correctly expressed my idea :) 

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Awiz said:

Thanks!  

I will try to explain my opinion :   Although a steampunk is a fantastic direction - I like realistic-looking modeling style.  In my mind, I imagine that this airship can not have too large steam engine - respectively, and smokestacks should not be too large :) . I believe that the engines and mechanisms need to be compact and light that they can be lifted into the air and at the same time remained the possibility of carrying passengers with comfort.   In my imagination, airship construction is made of more advanced, light and durable materials - that allows give it a form of what I represent, and the internal volume of up to ~80-85% busy of a balloons with lifting gas. And according to these ideas, I choose the proportions of all the elements of the airship - and I try to combine the fantastic and realistic ideas in this my work :)    You be the judge happened or not - but I personally like the way that there are.

I hope, I have correctly expressed my idea :) 

Understood. It was just an idea, from the perspective that we often tend to prefer style over functionality, and in films like SteamBoy, things trend toward exaggeration rather than the believable. However, I do notice a lot of Robot sculpts, out there, that seem to focus more on adding excessive amounts of detail, rather than letting form follow function, so I can certainly see where you're coming from. :good2:

• Like 1

Hi Awiz, I understood most of what you said, but could you explain step by step how you get the repeated curves. Do you create one curve and then somehow duplicate it in regular intervals? I believe I could really benefit from that knowledge, if you would tell me:D 

And great job mate.

1 hour ago, BubbaDaCaveman said:

Hi Awiz, I understood most of what you said, but could you explain step by step how you get the repeated curves. Do you create one curve and then somehow duplicate it in regular intervals? I believe I could really benefit from that knowledge, if you would tell me:D 

And great job mate.

Hi  !

I will try to explain how I do

creat   a  base form

Clipboard01_base_form.jpg

create and deploy temp object

Clipboard02_temp_object.jpg

next use warp tool  and  make as many copies as you need and with the required intervals

Clipboard03_warp_temp.jpg

switch temp object to ghost  mode  in   voxtree

Clipboard04_switch_to_ghost_mode.jpg

select desired point of view  

Clipboard05_select_point_of_view.jpg

correct position temp object if it need

Clipboard06_correct_position_temp_object.jpg

select  sphere tool and curv stroke mode

Clipboard07_sphere_tool_and_curv_mode.jpg

Clipboard08_sphere_tool_and_curv_mode2.jpg

add new layer voxel mode

Clipboard09_add_new_layer_voxel_mode.jpg

draw some strocks  -  one  curv  but  some stroke

Clipboard10_draw_some_strocks.jpg

uncheck Draw from first point

Clipboard11_uncheck_Draw_from_first_point.jpg

hide if it need temp object

Clipboard12_hide_if_it_need_temp_object.jpg

press enter

Clipboard13_press_enter.jpg

result

Clipboard14_result.jpg

cut off the excess

Clipboard15_cut_off_the_excess.jpg

finish

Clipboard16_finish.jpg

repeat and combine multiple times if necessary

I hope I have correctly understood the question and answered it clear :) 

• Like 4

I read a neighboring forum thread - which discussed the question of how much is used 3d coat in the competitive work. And just in case, I would like to say that I use only 3d Coat and  Photoshop for the final processing of the rendered image.  ^_^

Edited by Awiz
grammatical errors

• Advanced Member

Boy I had tried to do the netting on and off 2,3,4, times then I gave up. So with this explanation  I will be able to do it . Thanks a bunch to take the time. Its such a great effect / look that I just have to learn it. Your model looks great and the smoke effect.

On 20.06.2016 at 4:29 AM, pauloduarte said:

Amazing work, one of the best entries, I would love to do a trip in this airship.

Thanks!  :thank_you:

• 4 weeks later...

I like the last image. I couldn't see shadows from those guys on the ground :) 

Maybe you could work on shadows a bit more? And some color toning...? :)

Also I think that it would be better to keep more space from the sides of the airship (make scene wider). All is my imho ))

19 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

I thought the 'men' were mere icons to give scale to the ship.:blush:

Hi ! :)

exactly  -   "men"   figures for the scale.  I do not know how to make beautiful models of people and make ugly I do not want :) 

Daniel

Also I think that it would be better to keep more space from the sides of the airship (make scene wider). All is my imho ))

this is again to emphasize the scale of the airship .  I just love the model of any machinery  -  with the rest I do not very successful  :blush:  

Daniel

And some color toning...?

-  can  You write more ? - What did you mean?

• 2 weeks later...