3DCoat Forums

Steampunk flying vehicle

Fabrice

Hi all,

My idea is to model a machine created by a scientist who would travel the world and visit unknown countries. This machine will displace over 2 articulated legs but could also fly with wings or other system. Perhaps a vehicle that looks like a bird.

I think that I will sculpt all the parts of my vehicle separately in 3DCoat and i will assemble them in Blender. Then I can import all the vehicle in 3DCoat and make textures and rendering. 
Sorry if my english have mistakes, i use google translate.

• Like 1

Hi, 

I also use Blender, but I think there is no need to join in Blender, you can even slow down a little work, you can do easily in 3DCoat. I also use Google translator :) 
Good luck  :good2:

I think my vehicle will be complex for an easy retopology, that is why I prefer make each pieces independently. After I don't how I can adjust these parts in 3d coat if I want use the render room for thé final image.

I Will post thé first wip soon.

Finally I will make all the vehicle in 3d coat. After viewing the Youtube channel I've learnt how use all the tools in the retopo room and it's more easy than I though for   the retopology work and assemble each parts. 

looks good! maybe the levers could be further back so the operator can reach them easier? just a thought in terms of practicability.

newbie-questions: 1) how did you make the pedals and ornaments in the chair's post?

2) how the indents in the parts of the seat?

Thanks, Yes you're right, the levers must be adjusted. They were verticals to sculpt easily.
For the ornaments, I drew the curves on Inkscape and import them in the sketch tool (voxel mode). I need just to adjust the size of the thickness on one of the axes. 

I've made the indents with an alpha brush and the Extrude tool.
I've sculpted the indents like this :

cuir.png

Then I've exported the map by File/Export/Export Depth Along Y 
Like this you can sculpt all the brushes you need in 3D. 3D coat is great ! :)

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

Very good :good:

Then I've exported the map by File/Export/Export Depth Along Y 
Like this you can sculpt all the brushes you need in 3D. 3D coat is great !

What are your settings for exporting the map?
The result for me is a huge map with a ridiculous alpha in the middle.:wacko:

Hi Kargall,

First, I start a new project and I choose Tiled Box 3x3 in Surface mode. I delete all the instances and keep only the center one for sculpting the brush. Don't move the box it must keep his position to the center of the world. You can switch to voxel mode if you want and for an good alpha it will be important to not sculpt the edge of the box.

Here are the settings:

Texture Size : 2048x2048  -  Path Size : 100.00000  

I select only Normalyze Depth and I export in TGA format. I reverse the map colors with a 2D soft then the map is ready to the import in 3D coat.

• Like 3

Hi to all,

The retopology is finally finished. The sculpture is 51 millions of voxels and the "low-poly" model is now 100 000 polygons. It was a long process because I have chosen to do retopo and set the UV manually, but I can now paint all parts with my smarts materials.

retopo_final.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I will add an environment and if I have enough time there will be a pilot too. So I will not do the retopo for them. I will mix the vehicle and the voxel environment in the render room. 
I hope I can send the vehicle on SketchFab if the size of the textures is not too big.

• Like 1