3DCoat Forums

Updating 3DCoat - installs the wrong version?

Go to solution Solved by Tony Nemo,

• Advanced Member

Are you running it through steam? My memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to remember that if I opted in to the beta functionality via steam, it would install a much older version of 3dc. So you need to make sure you're opted out of beta programs if running on steam, this way you should only be getting the latest stable release (which is still 4.5.19 I think, at-least mine still is). I think all beta upgrades are done via manual download via this thread: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076

Are you running it through steam? My memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to remember that if I opted in to the beta functionality via steam, it would install a much older version of 3dc. So you need to make sure you're opted out of beta programs if running on steam, this way you should only be getting the latest stable release (which is still 4.5.19 I think, at-least mine still is). I think all beta upgrades are done via manual download via this thread: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076

No I don't run it through Steam. First, I tried just installing the new version. The second time, I made sure to uninstall 3DCoat, then install the new version. Neither process installed 4.5.37 (http://3dcoat.com/download/). I'm guessing 4.5.37 is the most recent stable version seeing as it's the one there.

• Advanced Member

I think Carlosan is saying that 3dc will install somewhere differently for this version, so you might be running an old version accidentally, even though the new one exists somewhere. But since you've said that you uninstalled 3d coat before installing this new version, I'm not sure what's going on.

I think Carlosan is saying that 3dc will install somewhere differently for this version, so you might be running an old version accidentally, even though the new one exists somewhere. But since you've said that you uninstalled 3d coat before installing this new version, I'm not sure what's going on.

Ah okay! Well I never even owned version 4.0.04b before trying to update. The earliest version I've had was 4.5.19.

• Advanced Member

Ah okay, I've read something similar elsewhere on the forums about the previous "which version do you want to run?" not being an option any more and it would just default to CUDA. Seems like an odd choice, and even stranger if non-CUDA versions are actually old versions.

I personally steer clear of CUDA as I've noticed a lot more crashes compared to a regular 64bit DX, but I think this might just be an issue with my hardware, as CUDA is the wisest choice on paper, so you should be fine.

Ah okay, I've read something similar elsewhere on the forums about the previous "which version do you want to run?" not being an option any more and it would just default to CUDA. Seems like an odd choice, and even stranger if non-CUDA versions are actually old versions.

I personally steer clear of CUDA as I've noticed a lot more crashes compared to a regular 64bit DX, but I think this might just be an issue with my hardware, as CUDA is the wisest choice on paper, so you should be fine.

Well I can't seem to use anything other than CUDA anymore! D: I guess I'll give it a go and see if I run into issues. Thank you for the help. :)