3DCoat Forums

Mesh camera clipping on import to sculpt room.

CognizanCe

Go to solution Solved by CognizanCe,

When importing in to the sculpting room, the camera clips the mesh.
How do I fix this?

In maya, you can just set the camera clipping distance.

When importing, pressing the "auto scale" button scales it so it no longer clips, but it...scales it...and that's something I can't have because I'm gonna be taking it back to another program.

clipping_on_import_to_sculpt_room.jpg

• Advanced Member
When importing, pressing the "auto scale" button scales it so it no longer clips, but it...scales it...and that's something I can't have because I'm gonna be taking it back to another program.

I'm pretty sure it recognises your original scale, so it will keep it as the same scale of the original when you export it. At-least that's how I've been lead to believe it's supposed to work, never actually tested it.

So you're okay to scale it up, just make sure you say "yes" when that window pops up and 3dc asks whether you want remember the scaling info.

I'm pretty sure it recognises your original scale, so it will keep it as the same scale of the original when you export it. At-least that's how I've been lead to believe it's supposed to work, never actually tested it.

So you're okay to scale it up, just make sure you say "yes" when that window pops up and 3dc asks whether you want remember the scaling info.

Thanks, but the SCALE is not the problem. The problem is when I DON'T auto scale, the camera/mesh clips.

(First top 2 images)

I THOUGHT pressing auto scale would fix the clipping, and it DOES, but it scales it, which is something I don't want.

So if auto scale fixes the clipping problem but messes up the scale, how do I fix the clipping problem without scaling?

In maya you can just set the clipping distance.

Hi !

Which version are you using ?

At import a dialog popup ask to keep original scale. Do you saw it ?

Yes, and the problem is that at that original scale upon importing, there's some clipping going on when the mesh parts are too far from the camera.

Using v4.5.37

• Advanced Member

I think there's some confusion here.

So if auto scale fixes the clipping problem but messes up the scale, how do I fix the clipping problem without scaling?

It doesn't mess up the scale. The pop-up window that asks if you want 3dc to remember the scale means it will remember the original scale of your model for later exports.

• Solution

I think there's some confusion here.

It doesn't mess up the scale. The pop-up window that asks if you want 3dc to remember the scale means it will remember the original scale of your model for later exports.

That's what I was trying initially and the exported mesh was huge.

Turns out, for whatever reason, exporting as OBJ causes it to be huge. I exported it as .FBX and everything turned out fine.

13248612_1040762295971760_34856180048433