3DCoat Forums

Steampunk TriTruck

Vladukenzo

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Awiz said:

Hi !! Of course you should continue to do model.  Do by a little in your free time.  Still a lot of time - more than a month! :)  

Man. I work so hard that i didnt notice that it is July instead June =)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vladukenzo said:

Man. I work so hard that i didnt notice that it is July instead June =)

I'm glad that everything has cleared up, I hope the contest will continue :)

Edited by Awiz
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Today ive founde out more time to contribute to my thing. And it seems that i am doing well regard to the front. But its still a case of dissapointment about the rear part

img-2016-06-07-21-15-55.png

img-2016-06-07-21-18-21.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

First of all, let me say "nice work" thus far. It's looking really nice, but I thought it would be helpful also to mention why this contest is being hosted to begin with. To show 3D Coat's chops as a Modeling/Sculpting and Texture painting application. If you are doing all the modeling in Max, it defeats the purpose. They should have kept the rules very strict and not allowed modeling in other apps, because general modeling skills is not what this contest is about.

Everyone already knows 3D Coat is great at texture painting. Lots of great work out there demonstrating that. So, a contest held by 3D Coat with prizes should largely be done in 3D Coat, and not just in terms of texture painting. I won't have any part in the judging, but if I were, and I saw two outstanding pieces side by side....either one worth the top prize....I would choose the one done all in 3D Coat rather than the one where only the textures were. Why? Because that one embodies what the competition is for...to show what the app can do in  the hands of a talented artist. It's not to try and bend or take advantage of the rules and just use the app for one small part of the project.

Even though the rules do state that some poly modeling is ALLOWED, it also states that Sculpting is to be done in 3D Coat. With all of that said, I would just like to ask that going forward, please try to do as much of the work in 3D Coat as you can, and go outside...as the rules also state...for things you cannot do in the app. Just because some polymodeling is ALLOWED outside of 3D Coat, please understand, the idea is to do so only when it's necessary. This isn't a generic competition like you normally see on CGTalk or elsewhere. This is application specific.

I remember Vue often having contests each summer, right before Siggraph. Their rules were very similar. USE VUE....but if you HAVE TO, you can add a model to the scene...but you will not be judged on that, but the content done within Vue. So, again....you've done some really nice work, but let's please try to keep as much as you can in the app.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot. Yes it is a  really important thing that the largest part of modelling has to be done in 3d coat. I absolutely agree with your opinion. It is more 3dCoat specific contest.

My plan is to kind of blend parts together in coat and give them a big part of detailing. Retopo and texture baking will be made in 3d coat too. So, when talking about my project it has to be 30/40 percent done in 3ds Max and 60 percent in 3d coat. But it has to be even more, pecause i am planning to block out many kinds of details such as: metal plates, rims, bolts and screws, scratches and dirt. And i guess that contrst conditions are to be fulfilled at this stage. Please tell me if it is a right proportion.

This model is to be advanced with some other big stuff in 3d coat that it will fulfill the rules. Thanks!

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

I would ask a 3dc staff member moderator if all is good as far as the rules go.  Rule # 3 all Sculpting and Texturing must be done in 3dc . Rule # 4  Poly-Modeled in other 3d modeling software is allowed .  I think your with in the rules as long as if any sculpting and Texturing is done in 3dc  and if your  way is to poly model  your entry then ok.  Clarification on this would be helpful as to let all others who are poly - modeling  in other software my self included to stop doing so and if that's the case then get rid of Rule #4 .  Thanks for your time .

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Ballistic_Tension said:

I would ask a 3dc staff member moderator if all is good as far as the rules go.  Rule # 3 all Sculpting and Texturing must be done in 3dc . Rule # 4  Poly-Modeled in other 3d modeling software is allowed .  I think your with in the rules as long as if any sculpting and Texturing is done in 3dc  and if your  way is to poly model  your entry then ok.  Clarification on this would be helpful as to let all others who are poly - modeling  in other software my self included to stop doing so and if that's the case then get rid of Rule #4 .  Thanks for your time .

Agreed. They should have communicated Rule #4 more clearly. I know they WANT as much as possible done in 3D Coat, but realize a few modeling tasks might be much tougher to do in 3D Coat, and they wanted to offer some flexibility in that regard. Nevertheless, I think we all want to see 3D Coat shine in the competition, so everyone can see that it indeed has the chops to do a bang-up job from one end of the pipeline to the other. If the CG community sees a winner in a 3D Coat competition that was largely modeled in another application, it directly communicates the notion that 3D Coat isn't up to the task, except for texture painting. That is not the message Pilgway wants to send, not should the artist.

That's why I wanted to mention something now, while there is still time to change the workflow a bit. I'm pretty sure they will judge not only on the basis of quality, but how much of the work was actually done in 3D Coat. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to announce a winning entry that only used 1/3 to 1/2 of 3D Coat's tools to do the work? This applies to any application-specific contest. Sure, in your daily work, you might only use the retopo or texture painting tools....but one of the main goals in this contest is to demonstrate that 3D Coat can do so much more than that.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Sure, in your daily work, you might only use the retopo or texture painting tools....but one of the main goals in this contest is to demonstrate that 3D Coat can do so much more than that.

In the last few images i have used a primitive from another application to separate it into several parts. After that  i have used only 3d coat tools. Ill keep doing that untill there will be  2/3 or more done in Coat.

• Reputable Contributor
Just now, Vladukenzo said:

In the last few images i have used a primitive from another application to separate it into several parts. After that  i have used only 3d coat tools. Ill keep doing that untill there will be  2/3 or more done in Coat.

That's cool. I just wanted to let you know, so that in the event your entry is one of the finalists, it doesn't receive negative marks for limited work done in the app. Some things are more easily done in 3D Coat and some in a good polymodeler. I'm a Max user, myself, and I know how nice some of the tools are in it. If I were modeling a vehicle, I would probably use 3ds Max at least for the body, where polygonal modeling gives you better control of the little nuances in shape. Other things are much easier done in 3D Coat, mainly because you don't have to get caught in the topology piddling trap. Every time I model in Max, I catch myself piddling needlessly with verts/edges/polys just to keep the model looking clean while I'm constructing the model.

No piddling with those in 3D Coat, and for a competition like this, that can be a real plus, because, IIRC, you do not have to retopologize (unless you wish to), and a lot of modeling tasks are much easier/faster in 3D Coat, when Retopology isn't needed. Make sure to use the latest build (4.5.40) as there are now options in the Sculpt room, under the Geometry tab, to quickly create a copy of the VISIBLE retopo mesh to the sculpt workspace. This lets you use the Polymodeling tools in the Retopo Room, right on top of the voxel object (no snapping to the surface is necessary) and then bring a copy into the Sculpt room. You might even assign a hotkey to that function, to make the workflow very efficient.

I mention this because I have been asking Andrew for a long time to add the SHIFT key extrude capability, from 3ds Max, to the Retopo room (he's been adding tools there recently to make 3D Coat more and more of a capable polymodling asset). When using gizmos in 3D Coat, the SHIFT key allows you to move only the Transofrm gizmo, on the fly...this is much easier than trying to use the Working Pivot in 3ds Max, and 3D Coat's gizmo has MOVE, SCALE, and ROTATE all built into the same gizmo. The downside, right now is that it doesn't yet offer the ability to move along 2 axis simultaneously. But it does have an inner ring to move freely in Screen Space.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

That's cool. I just wanted to let you know, so that in the event your entry is one of the finalists, it doesn't receive negative marks for limited work done in the app. Some things are more easily done in 3D Coat and some in a good polymodeler. I'm a Max user, myself, and I know how nice some of the tools are in it. If I were modeling a vehicle, I would probably use 3ds Max at least for the body, where polygonal modeling gives you better control of the little nuances in shape. Other things are much easier done in 3D Coat, mainly because you don't have to get caught in the topology piddling trap. Every time I model in Max, I catch myself piddling needlessly with verts/edges/polys just to keep the model looking clean while I'm constructing the model.

No piddling with those in 3D Coat, and for a competition like this, that can be a real plus, because, IIRC, you do not have to retopologize (unless you wish to), and a lot of modeling tasks are much easier/faster in 3D Coat, when Retopology isn't needed. Make sure to use the latest build (4.5.40) as there are now options in the Sculpt room, under the Geometry tab, to quickly create a copy of the VISIBLE retopo mesh to the sculpt workspace. This lets you use the Polymodeling tools in the Retopo Room, right on top of the voxel object (no snapping to the surface is necessary) and then bring a copy into the Sculpt room. You might even assign a hotkey to that function, to make the workflow very efficient.

I mention this because I have been asking Andrew for a long time to add the SHIFT key extrude capability, from 3ds Max, to the Retopo room (he's been adding tools there recently to make 3D Coat more and more of a capable polymodling asset). When using gizmos in 3D Coat, the SHIFT key allows you to move only the Transofrm gizmo, on the fly...this is much easier than trying to use the Working Pivot in 3ds Max, and 3D Coat's gizmo has MOVE, SCALE, and ROTATE all built into the same gizmo. The downside, right now is that it doesn't yet offer the ability to move along 2 axis simultaneously. But it does have an inner ring to move freely in Screen Space.

Thanks a lot. I do know and use this approach a lot. And it is not as disappointing as it was before. I admit now a am in love with extrude function in retopo =)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Disregard the previous video link. Somehow, it points to the whole Retopo playlist, rather than the specific video I linked to. I was trying to share the Transform Tool, and how some of that on-the-fly extrusion functionality you have in 3ds Max, you now have in the (Retopo) Transform tool.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Disregard the previous video link. Somehow, it points to the whole Retopo playlist, rather than the specific video I linked to. I was trying to share the Transform Tool, and how some of that on-the-fly extrusion functionality you have in 3ds Max, you now have in the (Retopo) Transform tool.

I use this a lot but when i embed retopo mesh into the voxel room it gives me many unnesessary layers. And it is preeety disappointing/ Do you know how to get rid f that?

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 minute ago, Vladukenzo said:

I use this a lot but when i embed retopo mesh into the voxel room it gives me many unnesessary layers. And it is preeety disappointing/ Do you know how to get rid f that?

It shouldn't do that in 4.5.40. I just recorded a quick test with that build. It has multiple Retopo layers, that are hidden, in the video.

http://www.screencast.com/t/X4Xzd06y6N1O

It did before, when using the IMPORT tool > Pick from Retopo. But I reported that to him and I believe he fixed it in that build.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

It comes with trouble when you add tubes in voxel mode. Geometry comes over detailed so i need to do extra retopo work or resampling

untill it gets better. 

img-2016-06-12-15-40-55.png

img-2016-06-12-15-28-04.png

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 2