3DCoat Forums

Steampunk TriTruck

Vladukenzo

• Advanced Member

Now getting this result after some optimisations and discoveries =) Radial symmetry is fantastic! =)

One thing that is really nesessary is to decimate each detail after finishing. And if you lucky you can lower down resolution 2 or even four times without loosing details !

img-2016-06-12-17-39-08.png

img-2016-06-12-17-46-51.png

• Like 4

• Advanced Member
29 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

For me, you are navigating in new territory and I'll be glad to see where it takes us.

Why do you think so? Am i doing something special? 

Edited by Vladukenzo

• Advanced Member

The new toolset is a thing that we needed much earlier. I think that sculpting tools are now well developed. Pilgway has to make something to their poly modeling and multi layered shadering while sculpting

img-2016-06-12-22-28-33.png

img-2016-06-12-22-36-18.png

• Reputable Contributor
17 hours ago, Vladukenzo said:

Now getting this result after some optimisations and discoveries =) Radial symmetry is fantastic! =)

One thing that is really nesessary is to decimate each detail after finishing. And if you lucky you can lower down resolution 2 or even four times without loosing details !

I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but for scene optimization purposes, rather than using Radial symmetry to create lots of COPIES, you can turn Radial Symmetry on > set the number of instances and with the INSTANCER tool active, click NEW MIRRORED INSTANCE.

There are also some new primitives for bolts and such, with parameters for varying the threads. Also, some of the main primitives now have Fillets for beveling, and Sectional controls to trim parts of the primitive. For example, you could use the Cylinder primitive to create quick half-circles, and apply a fillet to it at the same time.

Just thought that might help on a project like this.

instance.jpg

primitives.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Spliting geometry to get a better retopoogy. I also cut unnesessary geometry untill it looks like this. I also fill cavities inside interior because it appeared when i was working inaccuratly

Some geometry might be merged together without booleans to get retopology. Time will show

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Admit i had to make my geometry in a smaller pieces before.  This is a retopology of the roof that cost me 45 minutes. I will try to optimise the process.

I also want to mention that it is nesessary to save your reopo mesh elsewhere before switching to another. The best way is to drag it inside models list from retopo meshes list

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

One thing that i want to mention is : try to decimate more accurately. Do not cut corners with decimation. I have already made this mistake. So i will have to use fill tool and others to make back side of last object more flat. i will also use some crease brushes to sharpen edges between top and interior

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, quicksketcher said:

drool....sorry. LIke those chains and the design on the top fins. Art deco.

Artdeco is a good style to mix with steampunk. Naked steampunk is a lot just simple. Please look at what other people do. Everyone unconsciously or not uses it a lot in their steampunk. In sake of contest, my artdeco details will be more volumetric and heavy. Thanks

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Now i have retopologized all parts i had for cocpit and made some personal discoveries. Main is edgeflow of mixed metal plates. It is better to do boundaries of every valueable part as simple as it is possible before yu do filling and subdifide the surface

Screenshot_26.png

Screenshot_27.png

Screenshot_28.png

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

It is very important to stick t certain numbers whrn doing roundings and turning topology. I left some pieses unfilled for you to understand where geometry goes and how it is connected

Screenshot_35.png

• Like 3